I'd still rather have a lever action...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

I'd still rather have a lever action...

Post by AJMD429 »

https://youtu.be/-L_gzFu9TNg

But I gotta admit, the semiauto looks fun. No more fun than a Beowulf though.

Kinda interesting on AR-15 style firearms here, as an aside - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkJMGiR4FgY - on 'quality' metrics.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Re: I'd still rather have a lever action...

Post by Grizz »

AJMD429 wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 1:59 pm .
https://youtu.be/-L_gzFu9TNg

But I gotta admit, the semiauto looks fun. No more fun than a Beowulf though.

Kinda interesting on AR-15 style firearms here, as an aside - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkJMGiR4FgY - on 'quality' metrics.
YEAH, well, it would have been far more impressive if he had used normal 45/70 ammo, and heavy for caliber hard cast. my guesstimate is that a 525 Gr hard cast would not have stopped in cabbage. and one of Matt's 700gr might still be out there destroying stuff.

what is the pressure limit for the AR10 receiver?
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

I jumped on the 5o Beowulf and 458 Socom bandwagons when they first came out. Both use the smaller, non proprietary AR15 platforms instead of the much larger AR10 but provide same performance as the 45-70 auto. Plus, they have been around for over a decade and are well established. I eventually returned to the 45-70 levergun 🤷‍♂️
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

wvfarrier wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 5:41 pm I jumped on the 5o Beowulf and 458 Socom bandwagons when they first came out. Both use the smaller, non proprietary AR15 platforms instead of the much larger AR10 but provide same performance as the 45-70 auto. Plus, they have been around for over a decade and are well established. I eventually returned to the 45-70 levergun 🤷‍♂️
Pretty similar here - only I didn't bother with the 458 SOCOM since the 50 Beowulf is better anyway.
And when I went 'back' to leverguns, I bracketed the 45-70 by pulling my 444 Marlin out of the gun safe, and adding a 500 S&W (Big Horn Armory model 89 Levergun). Other than the really AWESOME historic factor, each of those does a bit the 45-70 alone has to stretch to do.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

The only thing I didnt like about 50B was the price of the brass. It was still in its infancy and was ABSURDLY expensive.
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I have plenty of leverguns. If i get jumped by B'rer Bear in southeast i plan to have the 50 cal AR pistol on the chest sling, across the redhawk tanker rig. the biggest problem will be if the batteries in the hearing aides die. wait one, i forgot to get hearing aides !!!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

The . 458 SoCom is pretty much the same power level as the . 45-70 Trapdoor loads. Give or take. The reloading speed by just slapping in a full magazine is where it starts to look better. A Marlin 1895 can get a bit more power, and a Winchester 86 can get even more power. The AR-15 platform has limited size that it can handle for self loading, as we all know. It is not meant to be a super heavy hitter, but it is pretty decent for a woods and brush cartridge. In its niche, it works just fine. I would not be averse to using it to defend my property.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

AJMD429 wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 1:59 pm .
So this basically shows how to put "cleavage" on an AR....! :mrgreen: todd/3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Grizz wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 4:14 pm
what is the pressure limit for the AR10 receiver?
I have seen an AR10 advertized in 300 WSM. They ran 63,000psi with a case head diameter of .555. Never saw any follow up on hiw durable they were at that pressure.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I remember an AR-10 which was advertised as having barrels that could switch between . 243 and . 308, but they both run about the same pressure. Pretty much what the AR-10 was designed for as far as I know. I have no practical experience or knowledge of the AR-10, so I must refer to books and reloading manuals. SAAMI max pressure for 7.62x51 NATO is 62,000. SAAMI max for the . 300 WSM is 65,000. 3,000 psi chamber pressure doesn't seem like all that much to me. Granted that . 308 SAAMI is about 50,000 psi.
I searched for AR-10 rifles. Most advertised as being safe for 7.62 NATO. Just my guess, but the bolt and chamber would handle the extra psi and recoil of the .300 WSM for quite a high round count.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

thanks for the pressure info. i have a 7.62 that handles those pressures no problem. it is MUCH softer shooting than the same round in a Savage 99 lever gun. i suppose it weighs as much as a fully kitted out AR-10.

I've transitioned to the puny little AR-15 because it can adapt to my "mission" needs with a top swap. . . .

although i would like to do an AR -10 comparison to my roller-locker . . .

good info, good morning Y'all
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Grizz wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:43 am
For accuracy, even a PSG1 can't touch an AR10. I'm pretty sure the fluted chamber and stamped receiver is the reason. As far as durability, be hard to beat the G3 I think.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

sore shoulder wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:53 am
For accuracy, even a PSG1 can't touch an AR10. I'm pretty sure the fluted chamber and stamped receiver is the reason. As far as durability, be hard to beat the G3 I think.
Oh Yeah. I'll concede the accuracy difference. Although there is a tube video of a PTR-91 grouping on steel at 500M. that persuaded me. Plus 5$ magazines.

Good to see you on board.
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Grizz wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 12:18 pm
Oh Yeah. I'll concede the accuracy difference. Although there is a tube video of a PTR-91 grouping on steel at 500M. that persuaded me. Plus 5$ magazines.

I lurk once or twice a year seeing what everyones up to. :lol:

The M110 SASS (Knights SR25 designed with input from Stoner) is .5-1 MOA with M118LR ammo and effective to 1000M. There are plenty of boutique AR10's like Larue that will do better. Then there's 6.5 CM chamberings that leave everything else in the dust. If I was choosing something in .308 I would be going for accuracy and distance. Otherwise if long distance accuracy isn't required, I will defer to the well established doctrine of more lighter rounds no question.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

sore shoulder wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 1:02 pm
Grizz wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 12:18 pm

I lurk once or twice a year seeing what everyones up to. :lol:

The M110 SASS (Knights SR25 designed with input from Stoner) is .5-1 MOA with M118LR ammo and effective to 1000M. There are plenty of boutique AR10's like Larue that will do better. Then there's 6.5 CM chamberings that leave everything else in the dust. If I was choosing something in .308 I would be going for accuracy and distance. Otherwise if long distance accuracy isn't required, I will defer to the well established doctrine of more lighter rounds no question.
:lol: Yeah, there's a lot of hot stuff out there. i know i can be picked off by a sniper a mile+ away.

Different missions for different folks. I have nato round + AK firearms in case i am surrounded by combat and need to resupply.

my pistols give me the little 556 for more lighter rounds, and 50 cal for more bigger stuff. since these two use the same mags my choice comes to which level of force multiplication i need. this is in the context of Alaska's Bear Woods.

besides, i live in-between an aircraft carrier and multiple boomers. i conclude that i am well and truly targeted.
450 Fuller
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 450 Fuller »

In keeping with the original title and meaning of the thread:
I REALLY would rather have a heavy lever action -in places like Canada or Alaska -like an original 1886 or Model 71 Winchester.
The 450 Alaskan can be loaded with 400gr Kodiak/Hawk/Woodleigh/Swift jacketed bullets to right at 2000 FPS. That will stop anything in N. America \and most critters in Africa.
I have one in a pre-war M- 71 and it is more reliable than any bolt action-as it cycles faster than a bolt. And...it does'nt have a propensity for jamming like an AR.
Bears do not give a warning or a time out card...

The modern Browning versions left out the modern Winchester errors of a tang safety &/or rebounding hammer. John Browning would
not be impressed with unnecessary changes to his original design. I have carried a CAR 15 in N I-Corps 71-72. Would NOT carry an M-16
in Alaska or a combat zone now if an H&K G3 or 91 was available. The 1911 still works well as a platform. Look up the weapons that really worked at Chosin Reservoir in 1950: minus 25 degree weather.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

450 Fuller wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:18 pm In keeping with the original title and meaning of the thread:
I REALLY would rather have a heavy lever action -in places like Canada or Alaska -like an original 1886 or Model 71 Winchester.
The 450 Alaskan can be loaded with 400gr Kodiak/Hawk/Woodleigh/Swift jacketed bullets to right at 2000 FPS. That will stop anything in N. America \and most critters in Africa.
I have one in a pre-war M- 71 and it is more reliable than any bolt action-as it cycles faster than a bolt. And...it does'nt have a propensity for jamming like an AR.
Bears do not give a warning or a time out card...
I have been very happy with the Big Horn Armory Model 89 Levergun in 500 S&W and if I lived in Bear Country would likely depend on it (the only other thought would be an AR in 'pistol' or SBR configuration chambered in 50 Beowulf (identical ballistics, faster followup shots and 10-round capacity magazines fairly compact, but I'd really want to fire my 'standard' 1,000-round no-failure test I do for any semiauto firearm before depending on it for life-and-limb, and that would cost a TON of money).

The '89' is thus named as it is sort of a modern-steel (strong) version of an 1886, with the action slightly shorter due to the more compact cartridge, as in an 1892 - halfway between 1886 and 1892 is 1889.

500 S&W from an 18" carbine lever-action gives 7+1 round capacity and has a Taylor Knock Out factor that is WAY up there, especially due to the very wide meplat; I think something like 4,000 ft-lbs of energy for folks who prefer that quantitation.

mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

Always envious when I hear about your BHA .500 doc 8)
Do you run reloads or factory?
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

mickbr wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 4:17 am Always envious when I hear about your BHA .500 doc 8)
Do you run reloads or factory?
Until I accumulate enough brass I'm shooting factory loads. Some Buffalo Bore.