I'm Goin' Modern...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Griff
Posting leader...

I'm Goin' Modern...

Post by Griff »

Modern... as in 20th century new tech for my 19th century leverguns...
DSCN1406[1].JPG
A Smith Shop carrier made for the C45S and a Pioneer Gun Works Super Short Stroke kit; now to decide what rifle I want to convert. Since I bought 2 of both parts I can convert two of my 3 toggle link guns. For shytes & grins I put one C45S carrier in my 1860 Uberti Henry, turning it into an 18 round capacity assault(?) weapon. And since it's mostly for cowboy action shooting I complete the installation by short stroking it. For sure, my 1873 "Border Rifle", (½ round 18-½" bbl), is going to get converted, as it's my primary CAS rifle... along with my Wild Bunch rifle.

The Uberti 1873 Sporting Rifle (24-¼" octagon bbl) I've had since 1987 is being considered... So, either the 1860 or the 1873? They're both 45 Colt, and will still capable of being singly loaded over the top, but... one will continue in it's CAS role, the other will remain 45 Colt for a hunting rifle and the occasional pistol caliber silhouette shooter. Deciding on a result before you even start is certainly not easy... I wonder if I should develop my cowboy/target and hunting loads and see which rifle likes one over the other?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Re: I'm Goin' Modern...

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Sounds fun. I would definitely convert the 18.5 carbine, and then leave the most accurate of the other two untouched since you are talking for Silhouette.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

You must have failed the YK school of photography ... where are the ends of your feet in the required slippers?
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:59 am You must have failed the YK school of photography ... where are the ends of your feet in the required slippers?
:lol: :lol: :lol:
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

You got to wonder if those modifications have been made 120 years ago, if they would have been popular for the real world, non-game, shooting many of those guns were used for.

I think they would have.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

AJMD429 wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:10 pmYou got to wonder if those modifications have been made 120 years ago, if they would have been popular for the real world, non-game, shooting many of those guns were used for.
I think they would have.
You're probably right. They've been around since around 1990/91... and I've resisted making the modification... in the beginning, these were all "cut & weld" jobs, therefore a permanent mod... unless you bought spare parts to convert 'em back. Today, there's about 3 manufacturers making kits. I bought the kit from Pioneer gun works... and while it mostly a drop in kit, the carrier timing needs to be adjusted by filing on the provided carrier lever... Took me about an hour of filing a little, testing... filing a little more, fitting again, filing some more, more testing... until finally, the bolt cleared the carrier mortise and the carrier was able to rise completely to the top.

At the same time, I installed the new carrier from the "The Smith Shop" for the Cowboy45Special developed by Adirondak Jack. And while they used say you had to grind a portion of the bolt side... you really don't, maybe just break over the left edge so aid in the cartridge stop operate.

Here's the difference between the Pioneer Gun Works Super Short Stroke installed and a stock Uberti above it!
DSCN1407.JPG
Hmmm... I didn't get the triggers lined up as well as I thought... moving the top '73 further forward makes the difference even greater!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Oh my GAWD... Just test fired it... the C45S turns my little 18.5" Border Rifle into a 15 shooter! I just used my little 3.4 grains of Clays behind a 160 grain powdered coated bullet. However, I shoulda fired it in the back yard... I went out to the pasture... the grass out there is about 4 times taller... the little C45S likes to land on the web of the case... so you're only seeing the mouth of the case as you look for 'em! I found 2 out of the 4 shots I tried!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!