Rossi Model 92 in 45 Colt — functionality?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Naphtali
Levergunner 2.0

Rossi Model 92 in 45 Colt — functionality?

Post by Naphtali »

Thank goodness to answer my question needs but a truthful a simple "Yes/No".

Does Rossi's Model 92 in 45 Colt function correctly when using longer factory ammunition intended for old model Ruger Blackhawk revolvers?
It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Rossi Model 92 in 45 Colt — functionality?

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I believe that the answer is Yes. Mine functions with the 270SAA bullet seated to crimp in the crimping groove.
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

A friend gave me some Buffalo Bore (I think 335 GR). No it would not work through the action. Was it close enough to have done so...maybe. I did not want to modify the rifle to get it to work.
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

Yes? Mine would cycle 300 grain xtps but nothing longer without modifying the case.
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

Both of mine ran fine with all of these.

Left to right-

1. My bulk 45 Colt Maplewood Bullets Lee 452-255-RF over 8.5 grains of Universal and does 910 fps from a 4 5/8” New Vaquero. This load does 1180 fps from the 20” Rossi. It's also the only load tested here that is safe in the New Vaquero and is a pussycat from the carbine.

Everything below is for heavy frame Rugers, Contenders and modern-made lever actions like the Winchester 92 & 94 clones and the 94 Marlins. Do not use them in Colt sized sixguns or toggle-link rifles like 1860 Henry or 1866 or 1873 Winchester clones.

2. A 255 grain Missouri Bullet SWC over 13.0 grains of HS6, always good for 1050-1075 fps from 4/58 to 5 ½ inch Rugers and 1232 fps from my previous 16” Rossi carbine. It did 1351 fps from the 20” Rossi.

3. A Sierra 240 grain JHP over 27.4 grains of H110 is a deer killin' machine at 1257 fps from a 5 1/2” Blackhawk. My previous 16” Rossi carbine produced 1550 fps with this load. It did 1699 fps from the 20” Rossi.

4. A 300 grain, .452" Hornady Mag XTPs; old production with a single cannelure over 22.0 grains of W296 powder. It runs 1093 fps from a 4 5/8” Vaquero and produced 1485 fps from the 20” Rossi.

5. The RCBS #82083 is listed as a 300 grain SWC with a gas check base; the alloy mine were cast from drops them at 315 grains, +/- a grain, for the finished bullet. I load it over 22.5 grains of W296 which scoots them to 1558 fps from the 20” Rossi. Not far behind standard loadings of the 45-70 and I doubt game under 1000 pounds could tell the difference.

Footnote- Both rifles fed all these loads in a mixed magazine, no glitches or complaints.
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Good post Sarge! I think the "take away" though from all of this, is that Rossi's "quality control" is so spotty and inconsistent that you can't really generalize what a Rossi '92 will and will not cycle in any of their rifles. I still have my McPherson 454 Casull Puma. It had a good barrel. Internals not so much. McPherson had to "blue print" for lack of a better word the internals to evenly distribute locking lug force. I don't think we can generalize here. We can share experiences, but your particular rifle will work, or not work, based upon its own tolerances. Can someone fix it to cycle longer cartridge's or better? Yes. McPherson lengthened my action by 1/10th. May not seem much, but it helps with bullet use and selection in a huge way. Mic retired, Nate is pretty much semi retired. You may have to do it yourself or find another gunsmith who can. -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

Thank you Cowboy Tutt and Rossi 92 QC, especially post-Taurus is 'luck of the draw'. I personally think you're more likely to get a smooth operating 44 or 45 than you are a smooth 38/357, but that's an opinion based on my experience and the experience of 3-4 guys I know pretty well, along with comments from FFLs I know that sell them.
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

My pre- bolt-safety Rossi in 45 Colt will run up to 270gr cast... the longest I've tried and they're seated right at 1.600"
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Naphtali
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Naphtali »

Many thanks for these cogent replies.

Yup! I asked the wrong question. I should have asked whether an overall length of 1.680 inches will function correctly.
It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Naphtali wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:11 am Many thanks for these cogent replies.

Yup! I asked the wrong question. I should have asked whether an overall length of 1.680 inches will function correctly.
In my pre-safety Rossi, it will.
Naphtali
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Naphtali »

Thanks Scott. With the coming of outdoor weather, it will soon be time to open the box on my new Lyman #452651 325-grain SWK-GC and find out whether I can seat it at its crimp groove in my Rossi Model 92 454 Casull rechambered to 45 Colt. Yes, there's more to the story, but I refrain from chitchatting about "results wanted" before I obtain results. And yes, I have a reason for my caliber conversion.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Naphtali, I sure hope you kept your original parts for the .454 Casull. They are worth a lot of money now. They are still on Rossi's website, but I can't find one for sale. A bone stock 454 Casull would have probably cycled the 45 Colt just fine. Puzzled. Just hope you kept your original parts. No explanation needed, just wanted to say that your gun is worth a lot of money potentially. Regards, -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)

Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Naphtali wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 1:39 pm Thanks Scott. With the coming of outdoor weather, it will soon be time to open the box on my new Lyman #452651 325-grain SWK-GC and find out whether I can seat it at its crimp groove in my Rossi Model 92 454 Casull rechambered to 45 Colt. Yes, there's more to the story, but I refrain from chitchatting about "results wanted" before I obtain results. And yes, I have a reason for my caliber conversion.
Interesting. I look forward to seeing your results.
Naphtali
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Naphtali »

Some parts in hand. Some parts theoretically at Accu-Arms, misplaced. I also have the rifle wearing a horribly botched custom stock while I have a beautiful 95-percent custom stock set for which I can find no one to complete it for me.

I must be clear. Accu-Arms (Krisss Bonner) is NOT — repeat — NOT the gunsmith responsible for my botched stock, or the remainder of the poor custom work. He "unbotched" as much as my money allowed. Unfortunately, he is a one-man shop and has work backed up for more than a year. So completing my conversion is no-go for him.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

I don't know about the other modifications you mentioned but the magazine follower, which I had one replaced with aluminum many, many years ago. -Tutt

Paul105
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Paul105 »

Naphtali wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 1:39 pm Thanks Scott. With the coming of outdoor weather, it will soon be time to open the box on my new Lyman #452651 325-grain SWK-GC and find out whether I can seat it at its crimp groove in my Rossi Model 92 454 Casull rechambered to 45 Colt. Yes, there's more to the story, but I refrain from chitchatting about "results wanted" before I obtain results. And yes, I have a reason for my caliber conversion.

That bullet, using .45 Colt cases, crimped in both the top and bottom crimp grove, functioned in my Rossi 92 .454.

With 22.5gr of H110, WLP, 1x Starline, 5 shots at 5 long paces and 55 deg F chronoed 1,507 fps bottom cr grove, and 1,539 fps top cr grove.

Paul
Naphtali
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Naphtali »

Paul105 wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:12 am

That bullet, using .45 Colt cases, crimped in both the top and bottom crimp grove, functioned in my Rossi 92 .454.

With 22.5gr of H110, WLP, 1x Starline, 5 shots at 5 long paces and 55 deg F chronoed 1,507 fps bottom cr grove, and 1,539 fps top cr grove.

Paul
Paul:

With the exception of my load of H110 being about .50 grains lower while using CCI 350 Magnum primers, my intended load is the same. Oh, and for those who may not be aware of it, this load is the same out the muzzle as the standard Winchester Model 1876 [in] 45-75 Winchester.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

The Casull chamber is 1/10" of an inch longer than the Colt so you will have to make a dummy round and see if it will chamber OK. Hopefully it will. Old Savage had a Rossi in 45 Colt and it could handle a 360 grain Keith bullet no problem. -Tutt