Tightening up an 1892 takedown

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Scrumbag
Levergunner 2.0

Tightening up an 1892 takedown

Post by Scrumbag »

Hi folks,

I have been getting my 1892 Chiappa Alaskan sorted out and have put an XS rear peep sight on the rifle:

I have however noticed that the takedown mechanism is a bit loose. It doesn't wobble sideways / up-down but it does rotate slightly with the magazine latched in place:

(Loose at takedown joint).

With the tube rotated a bit further, the lock up is must tighter:

Do you think it is practical to drill 2 more holes in the tube and "re-time" the latch so everything locks up tighter?

(Rather that using the punch method as in the below video)

https://youtu.be/uPEaHAJkVI4?t=839

Advice much appreciated.

Scrummy
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Tightening up an 1892 takedown

Post by OldWin »

The originals had a take up adjustment. There was a screw with a lock screw you could use to take up wear.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Turn the mag tube with the flip up latch until it's tight then flip down the latch. The latch does not need to be directly straight down. I have a dozen originals and none of them are straight down. ----006
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Sixgun wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 12:02 am Turn the mag tube with the flip up latch until it's tight then flip down the latch. The latch does not need to be directly straight down. I have a dozen originals and none of them are straight down. ----006
Mine isn't either now that I think on it.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Scrumbag
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scrumbag »

So it doesn't need to latch into the underside of the barrel to not come unscrewed?

Interesting. I have some "full house" loads to use. I shall give it a try and see what happens.

Scrummy
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Sixgun meant to say "Trade it in for a Rossi". :o :shock: :D

It's weird that they didn't incorporate an adjustment into the design though.

The only takedown guns I have are Rugers; a 10/22 rifle and a 9mm Charger, and both have take-up adjustment if needed. I used to have a Remington model 10 shotgun that did as well back in the last century when I was a kid.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Scrumbag
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scrumbag »

AJMD429 wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 7:50 am .
Sixgun meant to say "Trade it in for a Rossi". :o :shock: :D

It's weird that they didn't incorporate an adjustment into the design though.

The only takedown guns I have are Rugers; a 10/22 rifle and a 9mm Charger, and both have take-up adjustment if needed. I used to have a Remington model 10 shotgun that did as well back in the last century when I was a kid.
There is a way of doing it by using 3 grub screws under the forend which put pressure through the takedown interface (1892s and 94s use this).

The 1895 uses a single screw in the forend section.

The problem with my rifle is that it doesn't bend / pivot across the joint but slightly rotates.

Scrummy
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

The magazine tube is nothing more than a big screw so the tighter you make it, the better it stays...within reason....a good tight snug fit.....you don't want that rattling around as your groups will be more like patterns......

I've never seen one of those modern jobs.l.does it have The interrupted threads on the end of the barrel and does the mag tube have wide threads on the end.ltowards the receiver?----006

I'll add to what Doc says....If it's a Rossi don't waste your time and just put it out at the curb on Tuesday night, right next to the garbage. :D

Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

Mine locks up tighter than a bank vault. And yes, on chiappa, the the latch arm has a lobe on it that fits in a lengthwise slot cut into bottom of barrel. Mine must be straight up and down dead nuts in allighnment for the latch to close and the lobe to go into the slot.
Scrumbag
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scrumbag »

Leverluver wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 9:31 pm Mine locks up tighter than a bank vault. And yes, on chiappa, the the latch arm has a lobe on it that fits in a lengthwise slot cut into bottom of barrel. Mine must be straight up and down dead nuts in allighnment for the latch to close and the lobe to go into the slot.
Interesting. Sounding more like a miss-timing issue.

I will shoot with the lock-up tight but the latch out of place and see what it does. Then I might see if I can re-time it if I see a difference.

Scrummy
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Make it tight...forget the slot that's milled in the barrel.....thats for looks and a semi-use as there's not a takedown ever made that's not going to wear.....or give a little......just like a regular nut and bolt with space between the threads and the turning point...it's going to move a couple of thou. every time you crank it hard.....just make it snug and don't worry about it....----006

Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

Guess I just lucked out that mine is tight and the slot lines up perfectly at the same time. I'll enjoy it that way as long as I can and deal with the inevitable looseness when it comes. I've only had five boxes of full house Magnum through it so barely broke in.