scope styles

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
m.wun
Levergunner 3.0

scope styles

Post by m.wun »

I know alot of folks here dont like scopes on their levers but thought someone
here might have tried a shotgun slug style scope?I noticed they have longer
eye relief so you could mount it farther forward to open up the hammer.Not
real crazy about those extentions on the hammer and might make it faster on
target.Slug guns kick pretty good so Im sure they would stand up to the recoil.
What in the wild world of sports is going on here
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Re: scope styles

Post by Andrew »

I like the scout scope. I had one on a rifle but took it off cause I didn't like the mount, not the setup.

Depending on the gun, I think some have adaptors that go inplace of your rear sight to mount a scope. I think. :?
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

If you really, really, really have to have a scope, grab a Simmons (Yes, I said Simmons) 2.5x20 scope.
They're on e-bay for about $50, and I bought a few from WW back when they were $40 new.
I've also paid $25 at gun shows for them, to mount on friend's rifles.

They weigh like 7oz (same as two peep sights), are 9" long and have 5" of eye relief !

I've had them, w/o issues, on .45-70's, 12ga slug guns, and a .375 Win.
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Here's one example of a scout scope set up. It's a XS scout rail mounted on my guide gun. The scope is a cheap NCStar 2X7X32 pistol scope, it has lots of eye relief so there is no worries of getting scope eye.

Ricky

DWWC
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Here's one of the scopes I was referring to, on auction NIB:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NIB-Simmons-2-5-X-2 ... .m14.l1318
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Darn fast on target is the Weaver 1-3x, if you keep it on 1x.

I didn't want a lot of magnification because I don't like the jiggling, and I wanted the 1x because a major use of the rifle is defense while hiking. The Weaver people say it stands up to recoil.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

sobenk wrote:Darn fast on target is the Weaver 1-3x, if you keep it on 1x.

I didn't want a lot of magnification because I don't like the jiggling, and I wanted the 1x because a major use of the rifle is defense while hiking. The Weaver people say it stands up to recoil.
Just where do you hike that you can tote a levergun along? Must not be state or national parks!

I recommend the 1x4 power 25mm objective lense types for levers. The 4x Burris mini mags are very good too - I have one on my 336RC 35Rem. The Leupold 1x4 is excellent if you want to spend that much.

These scopes allow you to mount them low - which I think is the key on a levergun.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

m.wun wrote:I know alot of folks here dont like scopes on their levers but thought someone
here might have tried a shotgun slug style scope?I noticed they have longer
eye relief so you could mount it farther forward to open up the hammer.Not
real crazy about those extentions on the hammer and might make it faster on
target.Slug guns kick pretty good so Im sure they would stand up to the recoil.
I had one Leupold Vari XII 1-4x slug scope on a Remington 870 slugger I had a few years ago and I never never liked the coarse duplex in that scope . Matter of fact when I got rid of the 870 I let the scope go along , normally I pull the scopes and just trade the gun .

Now I have I have four shotguns with rifled barrels . On one have a Leupold Vari XIII 3.5-10 and on the others I have Leupold VX1 3-9's .

Standerd Leupold scopes handle all the recoil a Marlin 1895G can dish out ! Matter of fact in the past few years I have used all kinds of Leupold rifle scopes on 45-70's , 450's and 444's . Now my scopes get moved around ALOT , but so far none has suffered any ill efects . Heck one of my 3-9's stayed on my 375 H&H MAG for one season :wink:
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

[quote="O.S.O.K!

I recommend the 1x4 power 25mm objective lense types for levers. The Leupold 1x4 is excellent if you want to spend that much.
[/quote]

I have a Leupold Vari XII 1-4 that I've had ever since I had a MArlin . Matter of fact I purchased it especially to go on my 1895M (450 Marlin) . It stayed there for a couple years and then I got my first 336D which is just like the 1895M except in 35 REM caliber and it has been there ever since .

This little scope makes a nice looking addition to any Guide Gun type lever .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Natchez has the 1.4 - 5 simmons on sale for $49.99. Not a bad deal. i have one of there older versions. Decent scope for the money. I'm just holding out for an affordable 2x7 .
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Sobenk, I had a Weaver 1-3 on a Savage 24 and it stood upto 3" mag 12g regular, very good scopes Weavers are, I have had a few.

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
m.wun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by m.wun »

Thanks for the input.I like the low power scopes on the marlins, where i hunt in cali.
if you want a deer the first half hour of light is about all you get before all the road
hunters run off everything.Shots can also be long sometimes,that scope lights em
up to see em.grey deer+brown cover+low light=hard shot....
What in the wild world of sports is going on here
lever-4-life
Levergunner 2.0

Post by lever-4-life »

where i hunt in cali.
if you want a deer the first half hour of light is about all you get before all the road
hunters run off everything

Aint that the truth...
Break on through to the other side!!!
Bluehawk
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bluehawk »

I have had two rifles levers mounted with scout scopes I still have my Marlin 94CL in 25/20 mounted with XS mount and a Bushnell Pistol Scope I Like it on that gun I also had a XS mount on my MARLIN 95 45-70 It was OK I had the Burris scout scope 2.75 x 20 I liked it but ultimately decided to go back to the peep sights on that gun.
I LIKE scout scope mounts and I also Own a Savage acout rifle with the Burris scope on it. I sill carry that on occasion , my one son used it all last deer season He likes the scout mounts too.
The right way is always the hardest. It's like the law of nature , water always takes the path of least resistence...... That's why we get crooked rivers and crooked men . TR Theodore the Great
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I have a Simmons 4x shotgun scope with diamond reticule on my .41 Mag carbine (Contender). The reticule is handy for both range estimation (how much fits in the diamond at what distance) and hold over (use bottom of diamond instead of crosshair to aim). It is also compact.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

I concur; the Leupold 1x4 is excellent. The one I have mounted on my 45-70 guide gun that has a illuminated reticule for the nights when something wakes me up. Or when you are far enough in the wood it gets dark way too early. It has a long enough eye relief that with the forward mount the rear of the scope is just over the receiver. I have killed a few deer with the set up and really like it. I bought it to mount on the M-14 I carried in Iraq so it has already proven how tough it was.
It is not the critic who counts