Creating obsolete brass for antique leverguns

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bearskinner
Levergunner 2.0

Creating obsolete brass for antique leverguns

Post by Bearskinner »

The Winchester 1876 Centennial Rifle is an absolutely beautiful rifle, but finding brass to create cartridges, is darn near impossible. The Donor cases to create the 45-75’s are .348 Winchester, .50 Alaskan, .50-90 Sharps, that I have been able to acquire for a start. Measuring the heads of these cartridges, thickness etc, in theory, they all may work. So…. I started by making a “jig” to cut the cases to pre sizing length. Then deburred, lube and run thru the sizer. Now ready to trim to correct length. Quite a process, but being able to create shootable light cartridges, for this lever gun, will be worth the effort.
I wish I could post pictures……
I’ll work on them a little each day, More to come
“YOU CAN’T SHOOT A BIG ONE IF YOU SHOOT A LITTlE ONE FIRST”
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Creating obsolete brass for antique leverguns

Post by marlinman93 »

Forming donor brass into cases for obsolete brass can be easy at times, but sometimes the steps involved are numerous, and difficult. Either way I don't mind it as the reward of being able to shoot an old 1800's antique rifle is well worth it. And the savings over custom built brass for the caliber can be huge too!
When I find an old gun that's in a chambering that's easy to make brass for, and reasonably cheap for donor brass, I'm in reloading heaven! Those guns get shot a lot more just because it's cheaper and easier to load for them. Some donor brass like my .40-50 Sharps Straight are only .35-.40 cents each, as I use .30-40 Krag or .303 British brass. Then there's some others like my .44-77 Sharps Bottleneck that start out using expensive brass, and are also tougher to find donor brass for.
I use a Harbor Freight mini 2" chop saw for rough cutting brass to length. Then they go into my case trimmer for final trimming to exact length. The mini chop saw was about $35, and I used a 20% coupon to get it even cheaper. It makes quicker work of shortening cases when they need a lot taken off before final trimming.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Bearskinner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bearskinner »

So far the 50 Alaskan cases form the easiest, but they are quite a bit thicker than 50-90 and 348. One problem I’m finding is for a case trimmer shell holder for the 50-90 that fits my Hornady case trimmer. The heads are just a little bigger than the others. Fortunately I have a few loaded rounds, and two 348’s that have been fired. To use 348’s I would have to load a plugged cartridge and fire form to open it up. For some sick reason I’m enjoying the trials and tribulations involved.
I have a few completed samples to try in the rifle this afternoon. BUT, if I could find some formed brass, I would be happy!
“YOU CAN’T SHOOT A BIG ONE IF YOU SHOOT A LITTlE ONE FIRST”
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Get yourself a K&M neck turning tool to thin the necks. When shortening cases I've discovered the shorter I have to trim them the thicker the neck walls will be as they get further down on the cases. The K&M tool works fantastic, and I use it to trim either inside or outside of necks so the loaded cartridges will chamber easier.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
450 Fuller
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 450 Fuller »

Bear:

Marlin is right.

I used 450 Alaskan and 450 Fuller older reject 348 brass for practice and finally got some good 45-75 wcf cartridges.
It DOES help to anneal the cases as brass work hardens fast.