I really like these!!!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

I really like these!!!

Post by wvfarrier »

I purchased a few of these during Underwoods last sale. These are incredible. I clocked them at 1215 from a 5" Smith. The recoil was between a mild 357 and a hot 38 +p....maybe call them a +p+. They are incredibly accurate, I got a 1.15" average at 25 yards off hand. Thats about as good as I can do. Penetration was fearsome, they went through a 1/2" pine board and then 5-1gallon milk jugs of water at 10 yards. I would venture that they would be an excellent woods load. One aside, I would NOT want to set these off in a J-frame or any ultralight wheelguns....it would be unpleasant.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
RIDERED350r
Levergunner 2.0

Re: I really like these!!!

Post by RIDERED350r »

A few years back my brother picked up a current S&W model 60 that is chambered for 357. I own a 4" S&W 29-2, a 6.5" 629 Classic and a 5" S&W 460V, all with hardwood grips ... So when I tell you that little 60 with full 357 was flat out miserable to shoot, you can take my word for it 🤣 A friend of mine has the Air weight version model 60. I haven't nor will I shoot that. J-Frames and 357 don't mix, at least not for me. The recoil is fast and violent and that small J-frame grip makes it a chore to hang onto it.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

bang.JPG
S&W Moder 340 .. a hammerless J frame made from Unobtainium ... 125 gr. Speer JHP .. 20 gr. WC820 = 1339 fps from the 1 3/4" barrel. The prophylactic grips give you a blood blister on the web of the hand if you rapid fire these. Recoil is very fast and sharp.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

The department I was with in CA used .38Spl +P as their duty ammo, 158 grain ½ jacketed HPs... before they sniffed the glue and went to a Barreta m92 9mm as their issue piece. The +Ps are all I like in my K-frame mdl 65 with a 4" bbl. It's still my favorite load in this cartridge.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

I, too, like that 158gr bullet in a gun for social work.

I have a Rossi 2.5"(?) 357 that is actually pretty comfortable to shoot
with 357 magnum loads. (14.0 gr. 2400, 158gr. JHP) The rubber grip
is a brilliant design for my hand.

I tried the same load in a Ruger SP101 with the stock square-section grips:
OUCH! :o I've got some Hogue grips to try on that one.

I like Pachmyr grips on the 38s. I used to load Speer 158gr. LSWCHP for those,
but I haven't seen that bullet in awhile. Anybody got any sources? I wonder about
powder-coating that bullet and pushing the velocity a bit out of a 357. I'd guess
at 38 +P+, (the old FBI load?!) or mild 357 velocities it would be one helluva fight-stopper.

-Stretch