Italian 1876 winchesters

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
thornblom
Levergunner 2.0

Italian 1876 winchesters

Post by thornblom »

Howdy
Last edited by thornblom on Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Italian 1876 winchesters

Post by rjohns94 »

welcome to the forum. I owned an 1876 in 45-75 by Cimmaron. Was a very nice rifle and shot very well. I took a couple of game animals with it. Only reason I sold it was to get into Shiloh Sharps I was lusting after, and now just treasure owning. Good luck with your choice. I think you can get the Cimmaron for less than what you mentioned if you shop well.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

If I'm not mistaken, both are built by Uberti. You can probably get any question about the 1876 Centennial you wish over at CAS City 1876 Forum.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Yep, both are Uberti's. The difference is a little on the fit and finish, but both are excellent. I have the Chaparral Arms reproduction in .45-60, and really like it, but I am apparently one of the lucky ones who got a "nice one". The Uberti's weren't out yet when I purchased mine.

Welcome aboard and good luck! :D
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

There was a thread here a while back that put Cimarron's Warranty Policy in a pretty bad light...IIRC Uberti firearms sold with a dealers name on them are not covered by the Uberti warranty, but by the particular dealer's warranty and service practices.
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Though I have not fired my Chaparral .50-95 yet, (Finally collected the fixins to load with) the rifle seems to be of nice quality. The warranty is one year on it. Will shoot it in 2 weeks and a range report will follow.
:D
:D :D :D
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

Chuck 100 yd wrote:Though I have not fired my Chaparral .50-95 yet, (Finally collected the fixins to load with) the rifle seems to be of nice quality. The warranty is one year on it. Will shoot it in 2 weeks and a range report will follow.
:D
:D :D :D
I am looking forward to that range report. 1886.
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

G'day Bubba,

There is a longish discussion about the Uberti 1876s here http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index. ... ic=13876.0 that includes this comment:
"There is NO difference in the 1876 distrubuted by Taylors compared to the one distributed by Cimarron. They are both made by Uberti. Go with the best price, keeping in mind that some folks have found Taylors to be a tad bit better in the customer service end of the business. Regards. Deadeye"

In Oz Uberti is distributed by Beretta. Fit and finish is of a high standard on all that I have seen and Beretta's customer service is excellent.

US/Canada warranty info is here http://www.uberti.com/customer_service/warranty.php
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

rjohns94 wrote:welcome to the forum. I owned an 1876 in 45-75 by Cimmaron. Was a very nice rifle and shot very well. I took a couple of game animals with it. Only reason I sold it was to get into Shiloh Sharps I was lusting after, and now just treasure owning. Good luck with your choice. I think you can get the Cimmaron for less than what you mentioned if you shop well.

I was there when Mike shot a Yak with his '76. That critter was the size of a large bull. Second shot knocked it flat. A couple more were put into it for good measure but it was dead. Just did't know it.

The fit and finish was stunning to put it lightly. Compared to the Marlin I was packin' that day is like comparing Mozart to a high school garage band. :D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

There is really no difference between the two. My friend has a Cimmaron and I have a Taylor's. They both have great fit & finish and both shoot very well. See this thread for a range report on my rifle:

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... f=1&t=8780
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
thornblom
Levergunner 2.0

Post by thornblom »

Thanks
Last edited by thornblom on Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
morgan in nm
Levergunner 3.0

Post by morgan in nm »

I have been using 25grns of IMR 4198 with no pressure signs(I don't have a chronograph) and mine shoot very good. I have 2 Taylors and am using a 300grn RNFP. I did change the diameter from .459 to .458 because I was getting quite a bit of leading in the bore. I measured the bore and it was .457 on both of mine. I haven't used black powder because I am a little weiry about soaping them and because black powder is difficult to get in my area. BTW, I got that load from a magazine a few years ago about leverguns and they sure are accurate. :D
CraigC
Levergunner 2.0

Post by CraigC »

You guys are gonna keep it up until I have to get me a 28" .50-95. Held one in my hands a few months back. Intoxicating! I know, resistance is futile.
Shasta
Senior Levergunner

Post by Shasta »

Thornblom- I have tested loads of IMR 4198 from 22 grains to 26 grains with various primers and a 306gr. .459 bullet in my .45-60. Here are the 2 best 3-shot targets, fired off the bench at 50 meters;

This is 24 grs. IMR 4198 and a CCI 350 Magnum pistol primer. Average velocity 1178, ES 54, SD 22, AD 17, a 7/8" center-to-center group;

This load was 23 gr. IMR 4198 and a Winchester Large Rifle Magnum primer. Average velocity 1214, ES 148, SD 67, AD 56, a 1/2" center-to-center group;

I can't get the rifle to do that well consistently, but I think that is mostly caused by "the nut behind the butt". :lol:
Last edited by Shasta on Wed May 19, 2021 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

VERY nice, Shasta! :mrgreen:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Holy Mackeral Shasta! If I shot those, I'd have them framed!

Did you use any filler (use as TP) with your IMR load?
Shasta
Senior Levergunner

Post by Shasta »

No filler used. I sure have been tempted to try it though. I hear all those horror stories about ringed chambers from using filler, but Kirk D. has posted some fine results using a single ply sheet of toilet paper. My friend has used various fillers (including foam rubber!) in his .45-60 with good results, getting some 2 inch 5 shot groups at 100 yds.

The pictures I posted are the best groups so far. I have dozens of targets that are not so good, even with those same loads. One of the problems I have is, how many times do I try a load before I give up on it? Why will a load shoot great one time, then the very next target it's not so hot? I suspect using a filler would go a long way to make the loads more consistent. Perhaps I'll give it a try...