1866 Winchester original sling

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
coyote nose
Levergunner 2.0

1866 Winchester original sling

Post by coyote nose »

Anybody have photos or a link to the original sling Winchester supplied on their 1866 Rifles back in the day? One day when I have spare time (HAHAHA!) I plan on making or having a repro made, but have no idea what they looked like....an actual sling? A strap? Stitched together? Riveted?
"...for there is a cloud on my horizon...and its name is progress." E. Abbey, 1958
Ysabel Kid

Re: 1866 Winchester original sling

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I googled "1866 Winchester Sling" and there are a lot of images. Not sure which one is period correct though (though there were several that were certainly not!).
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

The ones i recall seeing pictures of were a simple strap with metal slider buckle and a stud button on the other end.

The slings used for a time by Germany for their G-3 rifles looks very similar. they used to be commonly available for very reasonable prices, like $10 or so. They seem to have largely dried up for the cheap prices but some searching showed some in very good to like new condition for around $20 or so. I have several and would like to get a couple more.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
coyote nose
Levergunner 2.0

Post by coyote nose »

Ysabel Kid wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 8:51 pm I googled "1866 Winchester Sling" and there are a lot of images. Not sure which one is period correct though .....
Yes I did too with the same results, that is why I am wondering what they actually looked like from Winchester in that era. Going to Wyoming for a backpack this September...maybe I'll hit the Cody museum and poke around there.
"...for there is a cloud on my horizon...and its name is progress." E. Abbey, 1958
black river smith
Levergunner 2.0

Post by black river smith »

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

coyote nose wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 8:25 am
Ysabel Kid wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 8:51 pm I googled "1866 Winchester Sling" and there are a lot of images. Not sure which one is period correct though .....
Yes I did too with the same results, that is why I am wondering what they actually looked like from Winchester in that era. Going to Wyoming for a backpack this September...maybe I'll hit the Cody museum and poke around there.
The Cody Museum is an awesome idea!!! :D
coyote nose
Levergunner 2.0

Post by coyote nose »

Fantastic!! Yes 1 and 4 appear the same and both are on Muskets. I wonder if it was a military sling. The Rock Island one has a 'claw' on it which i want to shy away from....it damages the wood, plus I do believe the claw style is a later development too, but am not sure. I have seen the 'belt buckle' type before, I'll have to look into that.