Shot some of the Special .44 Specials this morning ...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

Shot some of the Special .44 Specials this morning ...

Post by JimT »

1-44 special -40.JPG
I loaded 25 of these the other day with 6.0 gr. Bullseye and made it to the Range this morning. Shooting 15 yards they hit about 12 inches low so I put an aiming point on the target and shot at it. This is typical of how they shot.
IMG_5553.JPG
Velocity was fairly low ... 700 - 800 fps is my guess. I think they need to be driven faster.

I moved back to 25 yards and fired my old standard load with the Keith bullet ... 6.5 gr. Unique ..
IMG_5555.JPG
I spent a bit of time playing with these .. .shooting clay pigeons on the bank ... then shooting the fragments ... the old .44 Special is just plain nice to shoot.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Re: Shot some of the Special .44 Specials this morning ...

Post by Walt »

Not surprisingly, it looks like your "special" bullets are beginning to keyhole on your first target.

Nice shooting, Jim. Thanks for the pictures.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

These are the empty 40 S&W brass right Jim? Don't think they are tumbling as much as trying to 'right ' itself( weight forward ) .
Try filling the case with clay, caulk, window glazing?
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

First I heard o' this Jim. Now I am wondering if you could fill that case with flour and put a wad over the mouth -- and have a little visual poof! when it hits something solid -- like the hind end of a watermelon thief ... :lol:
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 2:44 pm First I heard o' this Jim. Now I am wondering if you could fill that case with flour and put a wad over the mouth -- and have a little visual poof! when it hits something solid -- like the hind end of a watermelon thief ... :lol:
That might get ya in trouble Bill !!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Will, in that Disney movie, they used rock salt ...
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

GunnyMack wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 2:32 pm These are the empty 40 S&W brass right Jim? Don't think they are tumbling as much as trying to 'right ' itself( weight forward ) .
Try filling the case with clay, caulk, window glazing?
If you push them fast enough they stay 'point on" quite a long ways. In the .475 Linebaugh we shot .45 ACP cases as they are exactly the correct diameter for the bore. We pushed them to 2100 fps from a 5 1/2" barrel. On the handgun silhouette range they took the chickens down nicely.

The .40 is slightly undersize for the .44 Special. I am thinking that upping the pressures might help.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

GunnyMack wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 3:57 pm
Bill in Oregon wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 2:44 pm First I heard o' this Jim. Now I am wondering if you could fill that case with flour and put a wad over the mouth -- and have a little visual poof! when it hits something solid -- like the hind end of a watermelon thief ... :lol:
That might get ya in trouble Bill !!
I am sure it would get a person in trouble since the empty .40 cartridge running 800 fps will penetrate quite a bit of pine.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

True Jim on the undersized, however if ya put some lead in them they shoot pretty well. And if you fill a 9mm with lead, Flux the 40 case and solder together ya get some deep penetrating solids.

I loaded some rock salt for a friend that had a bear always tossing his trash can. I told him to make sure to clean the barrel of his shotgun after!!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Thinking out loud……I know, that’s dangerous.

What if you loaded them base forward? Would the mouth of the .40 case expand to fill up the bore?

You could use the extraction groove as a crimping groove. Short wadcutter but it might fly more like a shuttlecock.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 7:56 am Thinking out loud……I know, that’s dangerous.

What if you loaded them base forward? Would the mouth of the .40 case expand to fill up the bore?

You could use the extraction groove as a crimping groove. Short wadcutter but it might fly more like a shuttlecock.
If you don't fill the case with something solid it blows the primer on down the bore and leaves the case stuck part way down your barrel. I found out the hard way. :lol:
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

They would throw some modern law enforcement officers if they pulled one out of a victim....
" Hey we are looking for a 40s&w, says so right here on the bullet.....!
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Nath wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 11:55 am They would throw some modern law enforcement officers if they pulled one out of a victim....
" Hey we are looking for a 40s&w, says so right here on the bullet.....!
laughing.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

JimT wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 8:51 am
Scott Tschirhart wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 7:56 am Thinking out loud……I know, that’s dangerous.

If you don't fill the case with something solid it blows the primer on down the bore and leaves the case stuck part way down your barrel. I found out the hard way. :lol:
Would a felt wad be enough to remedy this? You are making me curious.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Eh, just load a loaded 40 in the case and shoot the perp- then the coroner would be really cornfused! :lol:
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

GunnyMack wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 3:41 pm Eh, just load a loaded 40 in the case and shoot the perp- then the coroner would be really cornfused! :lol:
The loaded cartridge will fire as it's being shot down the barrel.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 3:33 pm

Would a felt wad be enough to remedy this? You are making me curious.
I don't know. You could try it. Have a good stout rod and a hammer close by in case it don't work. :)
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

JimT wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 3:52 pm
GunnyMack wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 3:41 pm Eh, just load a loaded 40 in the case and shoot the perp- then the coroner would be really cornfused! :lol:
The loaded cartridge will fire as it's being shot down the barrel.

True so just size and seat a bullet then
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
bcraig
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bcraig »

JimT wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 1:31 pm 1-44 special -40.JPG
I loaded 25 of these the other day with 6.0 gr. Bullseye and made it to the Range this morning. Shooting 15 yards they hit about 12 inches low so I put an aiming point on the target and shot at it. This is typical of how they shot.

IMG_5553.JPG

Velocity was fairly low ... 700 - 800 fps is my guess. I think they need to be driven faster.

I moved back to 25 yards and fired my old standard load with the Keith bullet ... 6.5 gr. Unique ..
IMG_5555.JPG

I spent a bit of time playing with these .. .shooting clay pigeons on the bank ... then shooting the fragments ... the old .44 Special is just plain nice to shoot.
Now this is very interesting !
samsi
Levergunner 2.0

Post by samsi »

Now you've piqued my interest.

What was the velocity/accuracy of the primer alone? :D Was the cartridge firing in the barrel also discovered the hard way?
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

samsi wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 8:56 pm What was the velocity/accuracy of the primer alone? :D Was the cartridge firing in the barrel also discovered the hard way?
Sending a PM
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Jim,

I remember the old Speer half jacketed bullets (sadly long discontinued) used to carry a warning that they be shot at or above a certain velocity. I’m guessing that if they were shot at too low a velocity it would pop out the core like a cork and leave the jacket in the barrel.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 7:30 am Jim,

I remember the old Speer half jacketed bullets (sadly long discontinued) used to carry a warning that they be shot at or above a certain velocity. I’m guessing that if they were shot at too low a velocity it would pop out the core like a cork and leave the jacket in the barrel.
I don't recall much about them but I remember they had a limit on velocity also. We ran some of them really hard and the soft nose set back and leaded the barrel like crazy!