35 Remington...!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

35 Remington...!

Post by AJMD429 »

It never seemed to be the biggest most popular thing, but it keeps cropping up...

I saw a "Traditions" break-open rifle today at the local gun shop - chambered in 35 Remington...!

It's pretty close to an all-around hunting cartridge, if you think about it.

Only one cartridge - maybe 35 Rem, 44 Mag, 30-06 (consider squirrels, groundhog, whitetail, elk, moose, and 2-legged predators)

Two cartridges - maybe add 22 LR or 32-20 at the 'low' end, and bump up the other to 45-70, 375 Win, or whatever...

Three cartridges - probably 5.56/223 for sure, then something 'bigger' and likely still 22 LR...

Anyway, I thought it was interesting to see the 35 Remington in a single-shot breakopen rifle - hard to argue for any better deer-rifle for your dollar expended..!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Re: 35 Remington...!

Post by Old Savage »

You have to break it down by ranges but a 35 Rem and a 30-06 pretty much covers it all.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I like my Marlin in 35 Rem. For what little I do anymore, it is probably all I need.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Needs a wood stock. I wish the Henry single shot was chambered in .35 Remington as I would be very sorely tempted.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

The .35 is VERY popular here. Has been since its introduction. Lots of Marlins and 8/81 Remingtons. I've never had one myself. Nothing against it, just always had other cartridges that did the same thing.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Oldncrusty »

Been trying for years to come up with one. Would love either a Rem 14/141 or a 336 Texan. A SS would be cool too. Ruger #3?
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Oldncrusty wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 10:07 am Been trying for years to come up with one. Would love either a Rem 14/141 or a 336 Texan. A SS would be cool too. Ruger #3?
If you periodically check with Kittery Trading Post in Maine, you'll find a .35 in one form or another before long.
Same with 38-55. It was extremely popular here, and I've had many over the years. I still have 5 of them now.
Last edited by OldWin on Sun Aug 06, 2023 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Another interesting thing they make...

https://www.traditionsfirearms.com/prod ... -synthetic

Shoots arrows...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOG »

I found a 1954 Marlin 336 Texan in 35 Remington last year at Kittery Trading Post.
I think I'll hunt with it this year.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I gave my Marlin 35 to my son, but one thing that interested me was that you could have one bullet mold and shoot those from 9mm, 38spcl, 357, and 35 Rem. I forget where I saw this, but someone, maybe Ranch Dog's forum, was doing this. I know, disappointing over-simplification, but Hey, that's my zone I suppose.

TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

Well, if Ruger Marlin eventually builds their reintroduced Model 336 in 35 Rem, I will likely crack for one. 35 Rem ammunition is pretty hard to find (unobtainium) these days. Thankfully I reload and I do come across 35 Rem brass here and there.
rgates
Levergunner 1.0

Post by rgates »

We bought a CVA single shot in 35 Remington for my son to use during the Louisiana 'primative' season. Using a 3X9X50 Vortex scope, he has proven several times that a handloaded 200 grain Hornady round nose will shoot very close to an inch at 100 yards and will kill whitetail deer very well. So does the 350 Legend with Winchester 180 grain Power Point but that is another story.
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

JOG wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 12:28 pm I found a 1954 Marlin 336 Texan in 35 Remington last year at Kittery Trading Post.
I think I'll hunt with it this year.
That's great! I have one made in 1955 and it's the slickest running & best shooting Marlin I've ever owned. These old ballard rifled 35 Texans are scarce as hen's teeth. Yours, mine, Hickock45's (an old waffle-top) and a few others make maybe 8 I know of.

The 35 is a fine old cartridge that gets less attention from ammo makers every year. It's definitely a reloader's cartridge these days. I gas it up a little (low end 30-30 pressure) and get 2155 fps with Sierra's 200 grain softpoint. I zero at 200 yards and it sure wallops deer with authority 130.

I've played with pistol bullets a bit but with irons, POI divergence is noticeable with bullets under 200 grains. I'm going to the RCBS 35-200-FN for a moderate cast load that should shoot close to the sights.
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Oldncrusty »

OldWin wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 10:47 am
Oldncrusty wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 10:07 am Been trying for years to come up with one. Would love either a Rem 14/141 or a 336 Texan. A SS would be cool too. Ruger #3?
If you periodically check with Kittery Trading Post in Maine, you'll find a .35 in one form or another before long.
Same with 38-55. It was extremely popular here, and I've had many over the years. I still have 5 of them now.
Thanks for the tip. They are so far away, I just never think of them. Maybe I'll take a peek.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Got a 32 Special model 94 from them a few years ago. It was exactly what they said as far as condition. So far it is totally satisfactory.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Grizz wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 12:38 pm I gave my Marlin 35 to my son, but one thing that interested me was that you could have one bullet mold and shoot those from 9mm, 38spcl, 357, and 35 Rem. I forget where I saw this, but someone, maybe Ranch Dog's forum, was doing this. I know, disappointing over-simplification, but Hey, that's my zone I suppose.

Using a heavy cast FP or HP with a light powder is a fun target, backyard pest cartridge. Like Sarge said though, it definitely requires a change of sites from a JHP. It's really shines with a 200 gr JFP that will fit a lot of situations. A long time favorite of mine. Easy to load and shoot. I've seen a lot of them in the PA and Michigan woods.
I've had others come and go, but this is a favorite.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

I recently did an internet query on a firearms specialty search engine for .35 remington ammo and brass for someone who was not internet savvy. Of course there was no brass but there were a half-dozen or so online vendors with ammo at $3 $4 & $5 a pop ! I also suspected that some of it might be quite old stock considering one listing was for 150 gr. remingtons and another for 200 gr. silvertips.
m.A.g.a. !
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

I have shot them but never owned one. It is a great cartridge. In reading some of the old books about settling in Canada and Alaska, the oldtimers considered the .35 Remington to be a better bear caliber than the .30-30. A number of stories of personal experiences were related in the books I've read.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

JimT wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 7:09 am I have shot them but never owned one. It is a great cartridge. In reading some of the old books about settling in Canada and Alaska, the oldtimers considered the .35 Remington to be a better bear caliber than the .30-30. A number of stories of personal experiences were related in the books I've read.
R.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
m.A.g.a. !
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

It's still a great cartridge.

Enough for anything in Maine, although one might to keep
ranges under 100 yards for Moose. It's not a long-range
cartridge, but most hunting in Maine is not a long-range
proposition.

Definitely not an antelope cartridge for way out West!

-Stretch
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

The .35 Remington is a wonderful cartridge, and has had a very loyal following among people who know the cartridge well, and like older Marlin and Remington rifles. I'd never call it a "do anything" cartridge though, as it's a great deer rifle, but not a varmint or elk gun. Not that both couldn't be taken with the .35 Remington, but certainly not as well as many other more suitable cartridges.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

The good thing about the 360 buckmaster is that it should make component bullets more available for reloading the 35 remington. I also saw a video where a remington rep was asked if the 360 BH would cause rem to stop making bullets for the 35 rem. He said, no, just the opposite, that it should cause them to increase production of 35 rem ammo since they'll already be making the bullets. So far that hasn't happened, but it's pretty early yet. Hopefully 35 rem ammo will reappear one day.
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

The 360 BH solves all the 35 Remingtons shortcomings. I believe I'll give it a year or two in the market before I jump.
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.