speaking of 20s

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

speaking of 20s

Post by Grizz »

I follow the 410 topic and think that I missed out, but then I retrieve this from his hide-hole and remember the size of the hole the birdshot makes in the prickly pear, and think I should keep going with the plan, which is to get brass shells and load 2 or 3 round balls for game shots. something like that. and experiment with muzzle loading the brass hulls. just for fun, an inline front loader.
I think I paid 99$ for this from cabelas way back, but maybe more, but not much. Buying a current 410 would cost more than all the ammo I could possibly put thru the single-shot. I'm thinking of attaching a green laser with electrical tape for a fun nite out . . .
9_002.jpeg

I found I could reload fairly quickly by having carts between the off hand fingers. The ejector ejects the empties out of the way.
7_002.jpeg
He fits into a modest size day pack or a brief case with room for briefs and ammo. I modified the fore arm stock so it will slide over the retainer bolt, no tool needed to disassemble. . . Oh, and he is sprayed with bed liner, just because. Looks like he needs a redo.

grizz, still dreaming

let's hear some 20Ga stuff
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: speaking of 20s

Post by GunnyMack »

There are 3 gauges I NEED to fill( well technically only 2) ,
I NEED a 20 bore fouling piece,
I NEED a 16 bore,
I dont really want an 8 but if someone were to give me one...

I do have a pair 20s, Savage 220 slug gun and I'm starting on the Learning curve of slug loading. The other is a 12ga skeet gun with 410,28 & 20 tubes.
I'd really like a 20 SxS. I'm not sure if I have ever even shot a 16...
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

After I made "The Perfect Jeep Gun" out of my .410 Mossberg 500 I got to thinking that something similar for my truck would be a good idea. So, already having an 18" barrel for my Franchi 48L (long story about poor ex-GI) 20 ga, I found the right size soft case and set it up for quick take down and assembly in the same manner. This created "The Perfect Pickup Gun".

One thing I always wondered about is the laws regarding transporting the shotguns. The law here says you can't have a weapon loaded in the vehicle. But if the firearm is disassembled , but shells are in the magazine is it a "loaded firearm". I have no intention of finding out the hard way, but it has peaked my interest from time to time.

Oh, by the way, both sotguns now wear small red dot sights making them even more perfect.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

My first shotgun was an old Winchester 12ga with the 30" barrel. I always thought that I was poor boying it because it was a single and all my cousins has pumps or semis. It also had no buttpad and kicked like a mule. Well I finally got a pump and chopped that 30" barrel down to 18.25". It was my first TRUCK GUN. Unfortunately it was stolen at Deer Camp while I was out in a hunting stand. Those .410, 20s, and 16 ga are sure sweet shooters and will do everything you need them to.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Grizz wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 11:26 am I follow the 410 topic and think that I missed out, but then I retrieve this from his hide-hole and remember the size of the hole the birdshot makes in the prickly pear, and think I should keep going with the plan, which is to get brass shells and load 2 or 3 round balls for game shots. something like that. and experiment with muzzle loading the brass hulls. just for fun, an inline front loader.
I think I paid 99$ for this from cabelas way back, but maybe more, but not much. Buying a current 410 would cost more than all the ammo I could possibly put thru the single-shot. I'm thinking of attaching a green laser with electrical tape for a fun nite out . . .
9_002.jpeg

I found I could reload fairly quickly by having carts between the off hand fingers. The ejector ejects the empties out of the way.
7_002.jpeg

He fits into a modest size day pack or a brief case with room for briefs and ammo. I modified the fore arm stock so it will slide over the retainer bolt, no tool needed to disassemble. . . Oh, and he is sprayed with bed liner, just because. Looks like he needs a redo.

grizz, still dreaming

I'd like to see the forend mod please Grizz.

Don't take them actions apart! They are a nightmare to rebuild!
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Nath wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 4:36 am
Grizz wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 11:26 am I follow the 410 topic and think that I missed out, but then I retrieve this from his hide-hole and remember the size of the hole the birdshot makes in the prickly pear, and think I should keep going with the plan, which is to get brass shells and load 2 or 3 round balls for game shots. something like that. and experiment with muzzle loading the brass hulls. just for fun, an inline front loader.
9_002.jpeg

7_002.jpeg

grizz, still dreaming

I'd like to see the forend mod please Grizz.

Don't take them actions apart! They are a nightmare to rebuild!
Nath, I enlarged the hole for the bolt so the head would slide thru, just. it kind of cams in when lifted into position, applying a slight pressure on the after end where it engages the frame. glad to photograph it tomorrow if it will help . . . it has never tried to disassemble itself without my consent . . .
Last edited by Grizz on Sun Sep 03, 2023 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I am just starting down the path of this 20 gauge slug business meinzelf. I found a Stevens Model 58 clip-fed bolt gun on GB for under $100, a used MEC loader for under $100, and ordered the slug loading manual from Ballistic Products, along with 25 of the DGS slugs and 25 of their Thug slugs and a bag of 100 primed Fiocchi hulls. After doing a bit of research, I ordered the roll crimper from Precision for its superior design.
Should all come together this next week, although the first order of business will be to address the choke in the Stevens, which I assume is full.
I had been thinking what a glorious spanker a dedicated 12-gauge slug gun would be, then had a conversation with old Bill about whether dealing with serious recoil was any fun anymore. The answer was no; shooting is supposed to be fun. :lol:
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I just got some BP value slugs, testing 2 laods today as well as a couple 410 buckshot and light game slug loads. The light game recipe is 26 gr lilgun for about 2000 fps!

You are right, probably full choke but don't be surprised if the fixed full choke shoots slugs just fine. As long as you don't go sabots and a hard slug it'll work. I knew of a Browning Broadway trap gun that shot foster style slugs like a rifle!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Bill how long is the barrel on the bolt gun? If you like shorter barrels you can de-choke it. Cylinder is the recommended barrel from what I've read.

Could you post a link to the crimper you bought?

Thanks all for all the input.

The way I make 12Ga slugs is to dump the bird shot out and put a 69 caliber RB in its place. I cannot buy the components to do this for the price of the loaded ammo, which was less than 30c/ea. I am going to find the corresponding 20Ga RB that fits in the shot wad and buy a mold. I think that a rolled crimp will cover this.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Grizz, I believe the barrel is but 24 inches. I'll report when it arrives end of the week. Glad I have a C&R license.
I was over on Shotgunworld and got the impression that the more "pins" or humps you have within the crimper the more friction it creates and the faster it softens and rolls the plastic into the crimp. The PR crimper has four.

https://www.precisionreloading.com/cart ... =MM&i=RC20

https://www.shotgunworld.com/threads/ho ... st-4922950