Front Sight For The 1851 Navy

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

Front Sight For The 1851 Navy

Post by JimT »

I got tired of fighting to see the little bitty brass bead on the 1851 Navy. In bright sunlight it sometimes disappears!
IMG_1.JPG
So I got out my hacksaw and files .... pulled the bitty brass bead off the barrel of the 1851 and cut a dovetail. Then I took a William front rifle sight and cut it to shape for the sixgun. The final profile will most likely be a bit different when I file it to sight it in for elevation, but it's close!
IMG_5935.JPG
Now if we could just a get a cooler morning that was slightly overcast I would go sight it in.
IMG_5934.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Front Sight For The 1851 Navy

Post by Pat C »

Not sure about the Navy. But the Army defiantly benefits from a taller front sight. As they were for horse soldiers sighted to 60 plus yards.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Jim, that is a pious idea. I may need to do that on the 1860 -- or have it done as I am an ape with Parkinson's when it comes to files and hacksaws. Was thinking the dovetail sight Uberti fits on its Model 1858 Remingtons would be a semi-period choice.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 3:42 pm Jim, that is a pious idea. I may need to do that on the 1860 -- or have it done as I am an ape with Parkinson's when it comes to files and hacksaws. Was thinking the dovetail sight Uberti fits on its Model 1858 Remingtons would be a semi-period choice.
I have a couple. If you want one PM me and I will drop it in the mail to you.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Many of the Cowboy Action Shooters do such a conversion of the C&B revolvers. I haven't... as I seldom attempt to align my sights at the relatively short distances we shoot at.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Griff wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 5:09 pm Many of the Cowboy Action Shooters do such a conversion of the C&B revolvers. I haven't... as I seldom attempt to align my sights at the relatively short distances we shoot at.
I can understand that.
I will probably cut the sights to hit POA at 25 yards ... or maybe just a tad high so it will be close out to 50 yards. I rarely shoot the cap n ball guns that far but you never know. :D
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

That's a fine-looking job, Jim. Congratulations!

I admit it would take a considerable amount of intestinal fortitude for me to undertake a job like that.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Walt, all you need is a special dado blade for your table saw. Trust me! :lol:
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Very well done Jim!

I agree that the front sight on the 1851, while an interesting bit of history, is practically useless! Your fix is 100 times better. Did you also file the rear sight notch even more in the hammer? (IIRC, you already did a bit of work there).
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Ysabel Kid wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:00 pm Very well done Jim!

I agree that the front sight on the 1851, while an interesting bit of history, is practically useless! Your fix is 100 times better. Did you also file the rear sight notch even more in the hammer? (IIRC, you already did a bit of work there).
Yes. It works well with the hammer notch I opened up.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Nice work!

I need to do mine, it hits about 4" over a bunny at yard range. Theres a few guns with dovetail front sights in the Cody Museum, one of a pair of guns attributed to Hickok has the front sight changed.
IMG_0061.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Malamute wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 12:08 pm Theres a few guns with dovetail front sights in the Cody Museum, one of a pair of guns attributed to Hickok has the front sight changed.
I saw that gun! Mr. Hickok obviously knew how to sight in his pistols and what they needed. His shot across the Square in Springfield, MO was a long one, but he only needed one!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Mike Beliveau -- "Duelist54" -- has a very nice video on the famed Davis Tutt shot -- if the pantywaists at Youtube haven't taken it down ... GRRRRRR.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I had a similar problem on a Smith 1917. The front sight just never worked for me so I had a smith install this.
Kind of hard to see but it has a red ramp.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad