Saturday Range Trip

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Saturday Range Trip

Post by Grizz »

Saturday I tried to get to a range. Loaded up a range bag with the 20Ga and the Wrangler 22 and ammo and paper plates and went toward the multi-recreational-use USFS road system. Over the years I've spent quite a bit of time on those roads, which are a 90 minute drive to the beginning. There used to be lots of short spurs off of the main branches, but as these were logged off, the access was trenched and gated, funneling the traffic to the govt approved only public camp site.

I did find one road open and always wanted to make it on the loop shown on the USFS maps. There is a steep assent switch-backing to a crest and then down and exiting to the main road, according to the map. It has been several years since I went up that road which I visited several times on plinking expeditions, but I didn't get to the top.

This is a 4Runner type of road which I previously drove in my fwd Chevy Man Van and stopped at the rutted spot I thought I might not be able to cross. This time I am in the 2007 fwd Toyota Yaris. Limited ground clearance but all heart, with a double overhead cam four cylinder engine with a 5 spd stick shift and good brakes.

After saturday I may drive this rutted, washed out, rock strewn single track slash two track with the 4Runner. But Saturday was the day for Yaris to shine. He's known by several names, Old Paint, Shopping Cart, Roller Blade, Commuter Ride, etc.

Starting up in the forest glen zone we dosee do'd round the jeep wallows, where jeeps spend their spare time in the wet season getting stuck in holes of their own making. Old Paint snorts and dances around the perimeter in something of a waltz.

I got to the first grade and the road bed was rutted about 20 inches deep in a more or less straight line for a hundred feet, which we straddled from end to end. I could have parked and done an oil change. There was no room to bypass it. Yari just chuckled and kept on going to the crushed rock washout. This was the tire eating type sharp broken rock on a steep and uneven track trenched by winter runoff. Yar just flipped a couple of fist size rocks out of his way and darted up to the climbing right hand sweeper.

After lots of MC type terrain we got to a less traveled, high grass on the centerline, type road that leveled off for several hundred feet, perfectly centered on a ridge with steep cliffs and long vistas on each side. I found a turnout where I might be able to plink, but the air was full of yellow jackets and hornets and horse flys. Note: SPRAY YAR WITH BLACK FLAG for a no fly zone. I could have turned around and back tracked, but I really wanted to make the loop I was seeing on the gps. A "because I can" type of thing.

Naturally the road narrowed significantly as it started the descent toward the valley floor. And the center grass was about headlight high, and perfectly hid the rock, the Rock that halted forward progress! Yar I said, "try harder", and he did, the wheels spun but no go. Unfold the trenching tool, get the bottle jack out, and raise the right front tire as high as the jack goes, put a stick under the tire, and go at it, driving off of the jack and getting un-high-centered off of the rock. Went back for the jack, shovel, and rock, and with no fluids leaking we, Yar and I, cruised with one wheel on the high center. I found several wide spots with plenty of room and 100% quiet privacy, but the stinger brood cancelled the spots every time. NOTE: remember the Bug Spray!

I double checked the road system by scrolling the gps view and verified that I should be able to descend into the river valley. Looked at the topo atlas too. Seemed good to go so we did. We went down and up and down and sashayed about until we came upon a large flat area, at the end of the driveable road. I might have to take the KXL up there to survey that. We took a photo of the dead end bookmarked the lat-long, and started back toward the dividing ridge crest and back down through the washouts and trench-like ruts and rock falls and jeep wallows.

Part way down I paused to let 3 brand new adventure expedition class off road motos pass. Climbing and bouncing up the chopped up road bed. Not one of them waved as they passed by, too occupied to try driving with one hand I suppose.

Happy to be headed home, into cell range again, without firing a firearm. In my renamed ride,
201642_2.jpeg
! Toyota 2Runner !
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Grizz on Wed Sep 20, 2023 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Saturday Range Trip

Post by gamekeeper »

Grizz, this post brought back many memories, before I retired 10 years ago I drove company cars (Yaris size) and often had to get to far flung places via tracks and bridleways, being a former off road fanatic I enjoyed the challenge of getting these small cars through places only Landrovers dared to go, your journey however seems a bit more than a typical English farm track.... :lol: the Yaris did really well. :mrgreen:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Great story and adventure Grizz 😎
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Thanks Griz! Reminds me of some of the normal roads in Mozambique. The last time I took my youngest daughter with me into the bush we did 30 miles in a bit over 3 hours.
JBowen
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JBowen »

My kind of adventure. I used to go out to the USFS and drive all the old logging roads quite often. I still go a few times a year, but like on your trip,
the USFS is closing a lot of roads, and creek crossings. Too many tree huggers now days.
Maybe I need to sell my old 76 Jeep and get me a Yaris!

JBowen
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

That’s awesome 😎
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Reminds me of my first new car.
Went through a brief fascination with sports cars when I was in my early twenties. First brand new set of wheels was a Dodge Daytona. Fun car that got me through the last of my college days.
I decided to take it up to our cabin in PA and despite it's total lack of useable clearance, it didn't do too badly. The front wheel drive got me into a few places I didn't think it would go, but made it in and out ok.
After the little Dodge, went back to used pickups for many years.

Thanks for the story! :D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Hey Y'All, thanks very much for the feedback. More is more better, and everyone has vehicle tales, let's hear 'em.

Screenshot 2023-09-20 083210 Olympic NF trip 1.png
This is the first Yari trip in the ONF, in May searching for a way through the canyons of the Olympic Range to Lake Wynoochee. Dead ends and double backs and finally followed a local to the west. There used to be a cross country continuous logging road across the Olympics with a rail head near the Lake, but it's in deplorable condition now.

The Saturday Ride started about the same place as this one, but was east of this track. Naturally I forgot to take the GPS that records tracks . . . but the roads were more traveled by locals and less challenging. This image is from joogle earth.
I don't know if everybody knows this, but you can load NOAA nautical charts into google earth and navigate on the charts superimposed over the satellite views. Fantastic bit of kit. Works with Topographics too. I think now there are phone apps that do the same thing, but haven't gotten there yet. Next time out I'll try an android app, which would aid in the overland stuff...

thanks again amigos
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.