The Superstition Mountains

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

The Superstition Mountains

Post by JimT »

Southeast of Phoenix, Arizona there rises out of the desert floor a sharp, rough mountain range known as the Superstition Mountains. Long famous as the location of the "Lost Dutchman" gold mine, the range was in earlier days a holy place of the Apache Indian. "The Dutchman" I should note, was not lost. Supposedly the mine where he got his supply of gold was lost. Whether the mine actually existed or not has been a matter of hot debate for years. I have been told, by people who lived in Arizona during the 1880's and 1890's, that "the Dutchman" actually worked at the Vulture Mine in Wickenburg, Arizona and that he was high-grading the ore. It is said he would pick out some of the best for himself and sneak it out of the mine. They told me that he got past the security at the mine by keestering the gold nuggets. Supposedly he made up the story about finding an old Spanish diggings in the Superstition Mountains to cover himself and his influx of wealth.

Whether he was actually high-grading ore or not, the Superstition Mountains were the location of much Spanish mining activity over the years. Earlier in this century there was still a lot of evidence of their working in the mountains. Some of this evidence was in the form of arrastras and crude smelters that could be found. Most of these have been picked apart long ago by prospectors looking for gold dust or ore that may have been left in them. An arrastra was a place where the ore was crushed. Usually it was a round, trough-like area where a large stone was drug around by a burro or slaves in order to reduce the ore to a crushed form so it could be melted and poured into ingots. The smelters that I knew of were built on the canyon floors and usually had a long mud chimney going up the side of a cliff. The ore was not really well refined. Dad knew a man who had found a cache of Spanish bullion in the Superstitions. He allowed Dad to cut the end off of one of the bars he had found. The bars were made up of a small percentage of gold and silver with a higher percentage of lead and tin. The miners who had crudely cast them apparently wanted the ore in a form that was easy to transport. Once they got the bars back to Mexico [or wherever they were destined for] they could be refined further.

Some of the Indians said they worked "all one winter" covering up the mine shaft and hiding all traces of it. Thus the mine became "lost". However there are still lots of Spanish "sign" in the mountains. I was well acquainted with Jim Hardy, who was born in 1875 in Phoenix, Arizona and who died in 1978. Jim was a part-time prospector as were many in the early days. He told me of a time in the 1920's when he grubstaked an Indian. The man wanted to repay Jim and asked him what he would like. Jim told him he wanted to see a Spanish mine in the Superstition Mountains. The Indian agreed and at a set time they packed off into the mountains. Jim knew where there were some rocks with odd markings and they started there. The Indian interpreted the markings, saying that one set of symbols indicated the direction to a mine, another to water, another to a placer working etc. They followed the symbols for the mine until they came to a certain area. Standing on hilltop the guide pointed out a rough square, the corners marked by 4 Saguaro cactus with the tops cut off. He said that when you measured between the 4 corners, at the point where the lines intersected a mine was located, but that it had been buried. Jim told me they worked for several days digging up the mine and uncovering it. It turned out to be a tunnel that descended at a shallow angle for about 50 feet, with two side tunnels. He said the mine was worked out. There was no ore remaining in it, the vein it followed having played out. He described some artifacts that were in the mine. The Indian insisted that they leave it all as it was and cover the entrance back up.

Jim showed me how the markings in the cactus would indicate a trail or directions to specific locations. My Dad and I once followed some such markings to a modern mine located in the McDowell mountains near the Verde River northeast of Phoenix. The markings pointed directly to a "notch" in the mountains 10 or 15 miles distant. When we made our way there we found a working mine in operation We spoke to the gentleman working the mine and he said he had discovered an old Spanish or Mexican mine there and had developed it. The markings we had followed pointed us directly to the mine. And from quite a distance away. Since the Saguaro cactus lives for such a long time, many of those that the Spanish marked are still in existence and the trails can still be followed if one knows what to look for.

In the 1960's an eccentric black opera singer by the name of Celeste Jones took up residence near Weaver's Needle in the heart of the Superstition Mountains. Weaver's Needle is actually all that remains of an ancient volcano, the outer part having weathered away leaving the lava core. It is named after a trapper, Pauline Weaver, who was one of the first white men to discover it. Since it can be seen for many miles from certain angles it makes a perfect point to pilot from. Anyhow, Ms. Jones was convinced there was treasure in the Needle. She fought with other prospectors in the mountains and several of the conflicts resulted in people becoming shot. An old-time prospector from Iowa named Ed Piper killed one of her Mexican hands after the Mexican threw a .30-30 down on him and said he was going to shoot him. As the Mexican was cussing him, Ed drew his .45 S&W and shot him 3 times, then walked the all-day trip into Apache Junction and turned himself in to the Sheriff. The Sheriff investigated the site of the altercation, ruled that it was self-defense and let the oldtimer go free. When asked about the shooting Mr. Piper commented that if you are going to shoot someone, you should shoot first and talk later.

Dad and I were in the mountains prospecting on the day when Jones killed a geologist she had hired to check out the Needle. She kept the Sheriff's Posse at bay all day long but eventually gave up. Last I heard she went to an asylum for the mentally deranged. I was told that there was a large iron cross placed on the top of Weaver's Needle in the late 1800's. Supposedly Ms. Jones took it down. The assumption was that whatever direction the arms of the cross had been pointing was significant. Of course, that information is long lost. The story is that the Catholic Missions in southern Arizona and northern Mexico had hidden their Church treasures in the Superstition Mountains during an Indian uprising. The Needle being prominent from south of the border, supposedly it figured in somehow with where the treasure was hidden. As in most all treasure stories, no one ever made it back to recover the treasure. Quien sabe?

The list of those who have lost their lives in the Superstition Mountains is quite long - just in this century! Up into the 30's and 40's headless bodies were discovered in various places. Even today the mountains are a foreboding place, as wild as they were when the Spanish explorers first pushed into them. It is said that Indians still guard some of the sacred places and will kill anyone who desecrates them. I do not know about that, but I do know from personal experience that the feeling of being watched can be quite strong at times, especially when you are down in the bottom of a canyon with terrible rough terrain all around and above you.

And even after all these years someone still shows up from time to time with a map that shows the location of The Mine. So far none of these have worked out though there has been a lot of money sunk into several of the efforts. But the pull of treaure has attracted some real characters over the years. I remember once in the early 1960's we were hiking out of the middle of the Superstitions, heading out to First Water on the west side of the range. As we came up the trail we met a man in a business suit, tie and all. I mean, even carrying a briefcase! He was purposefully striding along like he was going to a meeting at the office down the street. The only thing is that he was at least 5 miles from the nearest building and that was a cow shed! The one thing about him that was out of the ordinary for a businessman was the 9mm Luger he had strapped on his hip in plain view. He passed us with a nod and went on down the trail, heading into the remote heart of the mountains.

That there is gold in the area is easily proven by the Goldfield Mine to the west and the Silver King Mine to the east. Millions of dollars were taken out of these mines, especially the Silver King. The trail from the Silver King Mine to the stamp mill at Pinal is worn knee-deep in solid rock by the wheels of hundreds of ore wagons. The foundations of the stamp mill and what is left of the old town can be found near the end of the runway of the airport of the town of Superior. All that was left the last time I was there were some half-crumbled foundations in the weeds and a large pile of broken whiskey bottles where the old saloon had stood.

Today one can drive an air-conditioned car to the Don's Camp at the foot of the Superstition Mountains. There the Peralta Trail will take you on a breath-taking climb of several miles and several thousand feet until you reach the pass. You will know when you are there, for spread out at your feet is a panoramic view of the heart of the Superstition Mountains, with Weaver's Needle looking so close you could almost reach out and touch it. Once you make the climb you will know it was worth all the effort. As you stand there, looking down into those rough, forbidding far-off canyons you will feel the pull. The siren song that says, "There's treasure here!" Lord help you if you listen to it, for you will never be the same again.
needle.JPG

(I wrote this piece nealy 25 years ago for the old Earp.Com website and later posted it on the Sixgunner.Com website)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
samsi
Levergunner 2.0

Re: The Superstition Mountains

Post by samsi »

Nice write-up, and it's very true, as I've stood at that spot in the picture and felt the pull myself. The Massacre Grounds is another interesting hike, as you get to experience the shock of the surprise dead-end that the Spaniards found themselves in with Apaches in pursuit. I suspect that's where the sample your dad got had come from.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Most interesting ! Reading of desert gold prospecting has long been a fascination to me. I remember watching this when I was just a pup.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0vatOSBSb ... 1hbg%3D%3D

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_Du ... _Gold_Mine

And I've read all I can on the subject since. My favourite nephew and his bride and new baby live in the area and they have hiked there. We worry about them going far into the wilds the way they do with just a few bottles of water and a sole self-loading gat.

This has seemed to supplant the "dutchman" in popular culture's curiosity.....

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victorio_Peak_treasure

With several websites and telly documentaries on the subject.
m.A.g.a. !
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

In our local desert are hundreds, maybe thousands of mines. Quite a few are now cemented of bared off. But there remain a large percentage not blocked. From small diggins to rather extensive tunnels they do have an allure.

I frequent them when roaming about. Other than some artifacts I have never found any gold.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Interesting post Jim, I can't get enough stories about old Arizona 🌵
I remember our tour guide pointing out the Superstition Mountains and talking about the lost Dutchman Mine, sadly time did not allow a chance to explore :(
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

For those of you who are interested in the Superstition Mountains and hunting for lost mines, you might consider Mic McPherson's book ..
Memoirs of Superstition Mountain Prospecting (paperback size, black and white): Our Search for the Lost Dutchman Gold Mine, 1968-1983 (enhanced second edition)
51tQJlRykNL._SY445_SX342_.jpg
https://www.amazon.com/Memoirs-Supersti ... oks&sr=1-1
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Thanks Jim ordered today from World of Books free shipping :D
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Great post! Arizona has long held my attention with its varied and interesting history. I lived in Flagstaff 8 years, I'll likely end up back in that area full time one day. Planning to start wintering there again.

The Arizona Highways magazine has a great website with a lot of good information if you dig a bit, and has great pictures.

https://www.arizonahighways.com/

This was one of the pictures of the day of the Superstitions. Its pretty popular with hikers, theres quite a few decent youtube videos of the trails and people exploring about.
Boulder Canyon Superstitions.jpg
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Thanks Jim, great read!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Some good history notes Jim. Dad liked to drive in the Superstitions, visit the lakes. I can remember when there was No One at Roosevelt L., at least not that you could see. Seems like there were big boulders to climb on somewhere on the shore line. No condos or campers or trailers in view. Somewhere along one of those roads Dad was reminded of the time when he came into possession of a wild horse, unbroken, that I suppose was his if he could break it. He got a halter on and walked down an old mining or logging road from the rim to the river, don't know which rim or canyon or river he was describing. I think the sight of one of the roads we were on might have initiated the memory. That's the way some of his memories became some of my memories. It seemed that the grade was long, and at the bottom he got onboard and the horse took off for high ground. Full speed. Dad grinned about this part, probably because he held on for the trip, but he said that the horse was broken in by the time they got to level ground.

Another one of his memories that I inherited was the time in Black Canyon at the DeSoto Mine where they lived, his Dad the Super and Assayer, his Mom the school teacher, and the three brothers making a part of the student body. A prospector came by and had a colt he didn't want, or something like that, Dad traded a stick of gum for that horse, he was so happy! But his Mom said something to the effect, "you take that horse back to the miner!" and Dad protested, "but he's gone Mom!". But there was no help for it and he had to return the horse.

We used to travel around the desert visiting old history. It would be an odd day if we ever saw another person anywhere we went. Now there is a line of cars in both directions making the road trips on the rutted out mine and ranch roads.
a Miner and his horse.jpeg
Black Canyon. Headstock of the DeSoto in the background.
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

I run around AZ when not in Alaska and have even found some gold panning a couple of times. A very beautiful area of the country with lots of history.
It is not the critic who counts
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

So, what are the rules today on panning a stream. Is it okay, or are they just about "claimed"? Do the minerals belong to the owner of the mineral rights? What about on public lands?

Here's why I asked. Some years back I used to run a metal detector over the local beaches from time to time after work. More for a way to relax than to find anything. I once came across a set of weding rings. Now I knew someone was probably heartbroken at loosing them. So, I approached the lifeguard and ask him if anyone had reported them lost. Without looking he said no but that anything I found on the beach had to be turned over to them. It sounded "fishey". So I said sure, I'll go get them and bring them back. I didn't bother.

What I did do was ask around, and one of the vendors told me a woman had been very upset and left her number with just about everyone in case they were found. I got the number, called and after she identified them I returned them. Somehow I doubt she would have ever seen them again had I surrendered them to the lifeguard.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

jeepnik wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 7:03 pm So, what are the rules today on panning a stream. Is it okay, or are they just about "claimed"? Do the minerals belong to the owner of the mineral rights? What about on public lands?
This won't answer all your questions but it's a good place to start. https://americangoldprospectingadventur ... locations/
JBowen
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JBowen »

Nice article, Jim. I would love to trace around there on horseback looking things over. Thanks for sharing.

Ray thanks for the link to the video.

Last year there was a series on the History channel about the Lost Gold of the Aztecs that I was recording but so far this year
it has not been back on. The show is about legends of the Aztecs bringing gold form Mexico to North America and hiding it from the Spainards. I also have been following "The Curse of Oak Island " for years. Surely they will find it someday! LOL

JBowen
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Ill look at Jims link in a minute....

I went panning some on public land with a friend that was a geologist, there were claim markers around often a glass jar on a stake with their info inside. Claims can be seen at the county courthouse, and probably online today. I believe it was in the general area of Cleator or Crown King, but Glenn was the one navigating and I just followed along, we were on our bikes. Theres rules and etiquette surrounding it all, and of course some people can get real twitchy about it, though I think most are weekend or now and then prospectors. Its a lot like hard work to make much on a claim, the big strikes are uncommon.

One friend in Az had a friend with a mine, he worked it seasonally, it paid, but wasnt a get rich thing by any means. More of a semi-recreational, part time job if one had time and energy to pursue it.

I saw the claims on the maps at the courthouse in the rockies, i was surprised at all the claims on the creeks and in the mountains, but never saw or heard of anyone working them in the past 30 or so years except for one larger mine way up in the mountains.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

In light of this thread, I tried to watch this on the "toob" but it is zapped by the copyright stazi just as quick as the lawless geeks in asia upload it.

But....you can "borrow" it from any of the libraries affiliated with archive.org.....

https://archive.org/details/MACKENNASGOLD
m.A.g.a. !
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have been to the Grand Canyon, but that is about all I have seen in Arizona.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

piller wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 7:38 pm I have been to the Grand Canyon, but that is about all I have seen in Arizona.
Treat yourself if you can. The desert SW is indescribably beautiful, and rewards intentional investigations . . . you can't see all of it or outgrow it.
But let's keep it secret, yeah?
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Grizz wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 8:33 am
piller wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 7:38 pm I have been to the Grand Canyon, but that is about all I have seen in Arizona.
Treat yourself if you can. The desert SW is indescribably beautiful, and rewards intentional investigations . . . you can't see all of it or outgrow it.
But let's keep it secret, yeah?
I frequently had to pinch myself in Arizona it was just too beautiful to be true and boy what a contrast to England, I would love to return before I kick the bucket.
I'm reading the book Jim suggested " Memoirs of Superstition Mountain Prospecting" and that is making me want to see it all over again.... however the book is about a time not that long ago (1970s) and our friend Paul described that in the book as " the past is another country, one we cannot visit" but the landscape and imagination is all I need.
Great book thanks for the heads up Jim, I'm also looking forward to reading " Black Range Tales" that Walt suggested.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

gamekeeper wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 5:49 am Great book thanks for the heads up Jim, I'm also looking forward to reading " Black Range Tales" that Walt suggested.
I am about 3/4 of the journey through "Black Range Tales" and am enjoying it immensely! :)