What would you pay for reloading powder...?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

What would you pay for reloading powder...?

Post by AJMD429 »

Someone whose husband passed away has quite the number of bottles of unopened (some of the seals come off with the caps like often happens) powders, and she wants to sell them. Also some primers

I don't think most gun shops will purchase 'used' powder, and I know one refused to buy back a box of 10 gauge shotshells I had just bought a few minutes earlier thinking they were 12 gauge - correct me if I'm wrong on that, though.

Anyway, I told her I'd take the powders I might potentially use (but already have plenty of I think), and would look up a 'fair price'.

Now that I got the box home and inventoried what all was in it...... how should I determine a fair price...???

I know my wife may well be in the same boat (probably selling these same bottles someday cuz I'll die before I reload that many rounds :D ) and I wouldn't want someone to rip her off.

What would be the most reasonable way of determining price for stuff like that...???

There's more than I need, but these days it seems good to err on the side of oversupply, and if I don't pay too crazy a price for them I can at least re-sell them later on and not take a hit (might make a bit).
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Re: What would you pay for reloading powder...?

Post by horsesoldier03 »

I can buy powder locally in KS for about $39 a lbs. If I were buying USED, I would expect closer to $25 would be my top dollar.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

horsesoldier03 wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 5:21 pmI can buy powder locally in KS for about $39 a lbs. If I were buying USED, I would expect closer to $25 would be my top dollar.
I must be a cheap skate, my top price would be in the neighborhood of $20. (I don't know SURE CERTAIN what powder is contained in any bottle).
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

How about primers...?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

AJMD429 wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:37 pm.
How about primers...?
At least 75% of today's price.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
EG73
Levergunner 2.0

Post by EG73 »

HAHHAHAHAHHAHHA

Oh man you guys haven’t seen australia prices for powder lately, it’ll make you appreciate your prices :D

AR2205, 1lb(ish), about $60 4 years ago. Is SELLING for $500 now for the same amount, and that’s secondhand albeit unopened. How about trailboss?
3lb for $800?
https://usedguns.com.au/gun/580056/
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Personally if the powder was something I used I'd gladly pay 75% of current prices on sealed containers. Anything that's possibly a partial would need to be guesstimated, and adjusted by volume.
On powders I likely wouldn't use I'd want to get them low enough to resell for a small profit to friends, so I'd want to be in at 50%. The same price I'd pay for any that had been opened too.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Do any of the cans have price tags?
Pay that for full cans.
Stuff you don't use certainly should be easy to re sell.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

Over the past month I have bought 5 bricks of large pistol primers for about $100 per brick and felt fortunate to get them at all.
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

I 'dunno' if I would buy powders that were not factory sealed.

Back in the last century, I believe the American Rifleman had an article about a reloader who purchased some previously owned powder, reloaded some rounds, and destroyed/seriously damaged his rifle. He compared the used powder to a previously unopened can and there was a visible difference in the powder granulation/shape. His guess was the previous owner somehow mixed two powders up. :o
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Ok, I'm going to call dibs on any Norma R123 in there ... say $100/lb.

I'm still mystified by the whole Trail Boss / Tin Star thing. Viht killed off Tin Star and you haven't been able to get ADI's Trail Boss in some time. I thought Trail Boss was super popular in CAS shooting. What am I missing? Did they forget how to make it or something?
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.