Tsunami warnings

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Tsunami warnings

Post by Grizz »

WA state is getting serious about the actual damage a world class tsunami will wreak on the western states. This site explains the facts about it, explains the types of earth quakes can produce them, including in the great lakes and Lake Roosevelt in WA . . .
ger_tsunamis_in_washington_2022.png
cascadia is the hamass of the earthquake world, just pausing to strike again, and this document is trying to 'splain it before hand...
https://www.dnr.wa.gov/programs-and-ser ... ation-maps
https://www.king5.com/article/weather/e ... xit-recirc
. . .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Tsunami warnings

Post by Grizz »

But right over on the other hand there is this https://archive.org/details/charlie-brown-vol-3_202212
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Quite a bit of the tsunami panic BS is driven by the insurance industry. I live in a "tsunami risk area". But I live on top of a hill over two hundred feet above sea level. No consider the size a tsunami would have to be to impact my home. I understand that folks on the beack, or even on the harbor would be impacted (although the harbor has a world class breakwater that would likely dissapate much of the force). Still I'm financially impacted with regard to insurance because of the area designation.

Want to hear another example. I live in a flood area (other than tsunami) as designated by, you guessed it the insurance industry. If I still had a mortgage I would be required to carry flood insurance. On the hill I live there has never, in recorded history been a flood. The geography would require flood waters, again, over two hundred feet high to flood my home.

Simple put, if there were a tsunami or flood large enough to impact my home, most of the L.A. area would be underwater. Short of a meteor strike just off shore I can't think of anything that could cause that. And should a strike that large occur, we will all go the way of the dinosaurs.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

There are many, many "Entering tsunami zone" signs along Oregon's section of Highway 101, and I can assure you when I stop and leave my truck very far behind, I am looking all around for ways to achieve 50 to 100 feet of elevation as fast as possible. It will happen. Just a matter of when.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

jeepnik wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 4:10 pm
I get all that Jeep. This post is about the actual factual things that will happen WHEN the cascadia subduction zone is triggered. Look at the videos of the tsunami in Japan. I am glad you are safe from one. I am too, but the 120' trees that surround my house might fall on us. Or I could be in the woods when the 10 minute long earthquake brings down all the road-way stretched across all the mountains. Or I could be rowing across Lake Roosevelt when a 40 foot wave rolls over me.

It's not about us, it's about the wild. I am fascinated by the things we cannot control, including the percentage of carbon in the atmosphere. The futile thought experiment is endlessly entertaining.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

….snd…..what if some terrorist accidentally detonated a nuke in the ocean…I wonder what THAT would do… :shock:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

AJMD429 wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:56 pm .
….snd…..what if some terrorist accidentally detonated a nuke in the ocean…I wonder what THAT would do… :shock:
that would be some accident investigation . . . maybe it could trigger a landslide or disconnect some subducted plates.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Grizz wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 2:48 am
AJMD429 wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:56 pm .
that would be some accident investigation . . . maybe it could trigger a landslide or disconnect some subducted plates.
They'd probably just blame the NRA.... :roll:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

The world's largest nuke isn't anywhere close to being powerful enough to set off a Tsunami. The 1989 Loma Prieta Earthquake that collapsed the Nimitz freeway in Oakland set off tsunami warnings but didn't cause any. The Loma Prieta earthquake was triggered by the mighty San Andreas Fault, where the massive Pacific plate slips northwestward. During the quake, the epicenter slipped up to two meters (six feet).

The Loma Prieta earthquake caused 63 deaths, 3,757 injuries, and about $6 billion in damage. Many casualties occurred as parts of several transportation routes, including the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge and a busy freeway, collapsed.

A friend of mine worked for the USGS and he told me that a piece of the sea floor about 150 miles by 12 miles by 10 miles thick shifted up some 6 feet displacing the ocean and causing a tsunami warning but luckily none happened. There isn't a man made force anywhere in the world large enough to move 18,000 cubic miles of ocean floor, held down by the weight of the water, 6 feet.

Edit to add:

I looked it up and a cubic yard of wet dirt weighs about 1½ tons. There are 5,451,775,929 Cubic Yards in a Cubic Mile. So, that piece of ocean floor is 18,000 times about 5.452 Billion cubic yards which equals about 91.136 Trillion cubic yards. Times that by 1½ tons and it equals about 147.2 Trillion tons! That's pretty heavy!!!
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

COSteve wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 8:59 am Edit to add:

I looked it up and a cubic yard of wet dirt weighs about 1½ tons. There are 5,451,775,929 Cubic Yards in a Cubic Mile. So, that piece of ocean floor is 18,000 times about 5.452 Billion cubic yards which equals about 91.136 Trillion cubic yards. Times that by 1½ tons and it equals about 147.2 Trillion tons! That's pretty heavy!!!
Thanks Steve. I think not many people in the West have seen the kind of quakes that move mountains. I did once in Alaska. But the surface damage was minimal. We have lived in a geologically active age and evaded the really spectacular terrain alterations, but have seen several big deal make-overs.
When Cascadia trips it will affect every single creature in the Puget Sound basin, and possibly far down the coast past Astoria, and if it is "the big one" it can take out most of the I-5 corridor, AND if it triggers Mount Rainier there could be wild fire wipe-outs in a hundred mile circle.
Hmmm... makes me wonder what the hold up is. :)
Screenshot 2023-10-05 064822 MAP_road conditions.png
this is the highway norm in good and quiet times, imagine what it might look like if there were any infrastructure left to record it ! [popcorn]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

In 1969 Geologists and physics both predicted CA would fall off into the Pacific. I hitchhiked my way to NO... co-incidently, just in time for Madri-Gras... I'm still waiting for the predicted fall of CA, (into the ocean, we know it's really fallen far)!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Griff wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 11:25 am In 1969 Geologists and physics both predicted CA would fall off into the Pacific. I hitchhiked my way to NO... co-incidently, just in time for Madri-Gras... I'm still waiting for the predicted fall of CA, (into the ocean, we know it's really fallen far)!
see, this is what I like about the topic, there is no way human wisdom, known otherwise as artificial intelligence, can know when a thing will happen. You know, it wouldn't be very dramatic if we knew the day and the hour already!! :) :lol:
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

under the influence of certain herbals, chris and gram made-up a song about the event.....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UcU04NGMQ ... 9uZw%3D%3D

"the scientists say it'll all wash away....."

and chris performed it whilst trying his hand at being a country music star.....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iRHsiZr8R ... YmFuZCA%3D

and chris is still singing it......

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ek9SEfobm ... l0eQ%3D%3D
m.A.g.a. !
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Man! You guys get all of the neat exciting stuff…..here in s.e. Pa we never have anything going on…no earthquakes, volcanoes, tsunamis, massive fires, flash floods, terrorist attacks, tree huggers, gay pride parades, switcheroo bathrooms………..maybe a lightning strike once in a while and as long as you stay away from the cities, no robberies, sidewalk feces, used needles, panhandlers, or “people” jumping on your cars.

Most we can do is watch the corn grow, pass gas and go to gun auctions.——00…..6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

Here in NM, across a mountain range from the big city the biggest danger is wildfires. We have occasional earth tremors, sometimes a minor tornado (or major dust devil), every now and then a heavy snowstorm for which the county isn't prepared but what scares us all is forest fires.