Prayers For Maine -- and this world

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Prayers For Maine -- and this world

Post by Old No7 »

Here we go again...

Another tragic mass shooting...........

Not too close to home (1 hour north), but me and the family are all OK. I do have customers in that town though...

Please PRAY FOR MAINE and this effed up world we live in..........................

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Prayers For Maine -- and this world

Post by .45colt »

My Heart and prayers go out to the innocent people Killed last night. The shooter had a history and was well known to a lot of professional people who dropped the ball. when people get like this there are usually red flags everywhere . The world is a mess but this is just the beginning . God Help Us All.
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

Maine has Constitutional carry but, apparently no one does.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

765x53 wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 10:32 am Maine has Constitutional carry but, apparently no one does.
EXACTLY ! ! ! The tally of mass shooting perps by licensed gun owners is ASTONISHINGLY STUPIDLY INCOMPREHENSIBLY LOW

This is what leads me to think that the mass shooter mindset is convinced and acts on their belief that THERE IS NO DETERRENT AND ALL ZONES ARE KILL ZONES.

Prove me wrong. †
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

765x53 wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 10:32 am Maine has Constitutional carry but, apparently no one does.
Most people who carry firearms for self defense are law abiding. I think both locations the shooter targeted serve alcohol. Therefore, it would be unlawful in Maine to carry a firearm. You know....like schools.
I'm sure it's just a coincidence. Yes sir! Another instance of "common sense laws keeping people safe".
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

A tragedy that could have been stopped, prayers up for all who are victims of this lunatic.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

OldWin wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:44 am ...both locations the shooter targeted serve alcohol. Therefore, it would be unlawful in Maine to carry a firearm. You know....like schools.
I'm sure it's just a coincidence...
And so we have a choice to make...

To be: Tried by 12 -- or Carried by 6

Not saying what my choice is...

I've had texts or calls from 13 states, plus Canada and Germany so far, from colleagues or friends asking if we're OK.

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Old No7 wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 1:43 pm
OldWin wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:44 am ...both locations the shooter targeted serve alcohol. Therefore, it would be unlawful in Maine to carry a firearm. You know....like schools.
I'm sure it's just a coincidence...
And so we have a choice to make...

To be: Tried by 12 -- or Carried by 6

Not saying what my choice is...

I've had texts or calls from 13 states, plus Canada and Germany so far, from colleagues or friends asking if we're OK.

Old No7
Yup. I ain't saying either.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Darn surprised it was an active Army reservist who did this , especially a senior NCO

Regardless, - he was in a non combatant MOS, but after 20 years, would be very familar with his service rifle and all the clones thereof. Plus being senior level would have at minimum taken the BNOC and ANOC courses , plus whatever other courses and designations can be collected over a 20 year career, so he should have a little bit of an outdoors skillset

The guy spent 2 weeks at Trembling Hills for bizarre mental behavior over the summer --- i'm a veteran and i know there are a lot of us on this forum, either military or law enforcement (or both in some cases) . In my recollection this doesnt happen much at all. Sure i know of and have heard of plenty of other vets and LEO engaging in deadly personal domestic violence situations and plenty who escape their own problems by eating a bullet themselves before harming others, but to shoot up 3 different places is out of character for sure
----- Doug
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

He may have an outdoor skillset, but if he attempting escape and evade in the woods, he's gonna need em.
Saturday is the first day of deer season. There will be roughly 250k people in the woods armed.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

It just breaks my heart all over again. We just aren't coming to terms with mental illness in this country. i don't know the details, but I hope the NY Army Reserve had been up-to-date and forthcoming about the suspect's mental health issues.
We went through this before with airman Devin Kelley, who murdered 26 at the Baptist Church in Sutherland Springs, TX in 2017. He had a history that the Air Force -- and Holloman AFB -- shamefully failed to share.
Seems like when our government trains someone to be a killer, they have a heightened responsibility somewhere in this process.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Prayers up Darryl!
Bill in Oregon wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 7:24 pm We just aren't coming to terms with mental illness in this country.
No, we have not. Nor have we come to terms with the breakdown of the family, the lack of instilling morals and God across the populace, and the glorification of death and killing.
Bill in Oregon wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 7:24 pm We went through this before with airman Devin Kelley, who murdered 26 at the Baptist Church in Sutherland Springs, TX in 2017. He had a history that the Air Force -- and Holloman AFB -- shamefully failed to share.
Seems like when our government trains someone to be a killer, they have a heightened responsibility somewhere in this process.
The military doesn't want to admit they have a large problem with PTSD and mental illness. They don't want to proactively communicate to local law enforcement, like they fear admitting to the issue. I wonder how many more of these will happen before that changes. Not that I want more laws, but I'd love to see laws passed at the national level mandating that the US Military send information to local law enforcement. That will be infinitely more helpful than Biden and his ilk calling for more gun bans. :evil:
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I don't pay attention to the news, so this is the first I'm hearing (reading) of the shooting. I'm constantly dismayed at the waste of lives. Prayers up.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

it sounds good, but the HIPA law is supposed to prevent disemmination of someone's "status", for one. and for another, murder is a sin against God, and psychobabble can't fix it. In the bible it took an act of God to put someone back into his right mind.
Then they went out to see what was done; and came to Jesus, and found the man, out of whom the devils were departed, sitting at the feet of Jesus, clothed, and in his right mind: and they were afraid. Luke 8:35
the issue is salvation vs demons, according to the bible †
JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOG »

Schools and businesses were shut down here in southern Maine.!
I lost a day's pay myself. I hope they take this guy out!
Johnny
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

The 'Mental Health System' is just like all the other 'systems' the government sets up. All paperwork and no substance. Ask about anyone who has had to deal with these agencies.

Besides, mental health is USEFUL for the government. It gives them something to 'protect us from', like 'guns' and 'drugs' and all the other bad things.

Somehow we've forgotten that CRIME is what the Government is supposed to deal with - VICE is something government has no legitimate role in dealing with, and should be left to the jurisdiction of the Church. Same for 'welfare', and 'education', and 'healthcare', and pretty much all the other alphabet-agencies. I'd make an exception for the environment, were the government able to demonstrate any integrity in dealing with anything else, since environment transcends state lines and is somewhat equivalent to 'collective national defense'. But the government has pretty well shown itself unable to do anything with integrity.

Even our military is getting ruined by wokeness.

As to the mass-murderer on the east coast - he is a statistical outlier, so why on Earth legislators think there is somthing they should 'do' other than shut up, or encourage citizens to carry concealed handguns, is beyond me.

I make it a point to simply not go places where firearms are prohibited. Their 'values' are not ones I want to patronize.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 7:24 pm We just aren't coming to terms with mental illness in this country.
Amen to that...

My wife works in healthcare, and the drummer in my rock band is a therapist, plus the guitarist works with veterans post-service -- from comments made by all 3, I'd guess the amount of resources for mental health in Maine is down by 50% versus 10 to 15 years ago...

...and the demand is likely up by 2X.

But, they'll blame the tool he used -- not the "tools" who let him walk after he threatened to shoot up a military base.

God help us -- please!

Old No7
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

JOG wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 7:59 pm I hope they take this guy out!
Johnny
Almost. The scumbag took himself out!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

While I am glad the threat is over for the good people of Maine, I am sorry that once again we don't get to learn the why -- unless there is some physical brain abnormality that somehow survived the suicide shot.
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

I am a veteran and worked several 3rd world countries after. The issue in my opinion is the drug protocols they put people on when they get back. In the day you deployed, you came back tired, cranky, whatever, needed time to readjust to the family or kids whatever, they called it 'deployment fatigue'' and you were told just relax, dont push it too hard, stay off the liquor, go to work and it will come back online. And it did 99% of the time. After that if someone had problems then you saw the doc.

Now soldiers are debriefed even before they come home to be aware that any small changes ''could be PSTD'' and get right into see the doc even if you cant sleep, feel tired whatever. The doc worried the guy might kill himself or others writes out prescriptions right away. I have friends,recently returned military who started out slightly anxious and depresed, put right onto anti-depressants etc and end up later psychotic on anti-pschotics. This is not an acceptable treatment path. Big pharma is snowballing PTSD and I reckon incidents like this are the result
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

Coming in late on this topic. Wife teaches in the Lewiston school district. It's been pretty rough these first few days with councilors nearby. Pretty much everyone she talked to was related to the victims and including the shooters family. Here in my town (Winthrop) we lost a high school freshman, his dad and a high school senior uncle. I just found out yesterday a good friend of mine his nephew is one of the wounded and in ICU. This is waaayyy too close for my comfort! Between talking to local police and getting feedback from people I know in Lewiston, there were too many red flags thrown out on the shooters mental health. If this isn't a break down in health care I don't know what is! Stay Safe!

Mainehunter
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Mainehunter that's way too close for comfort. A similar thing happened in southern England and the police actually took his guns away and then gave them back and he went on a killing spree. :roll:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Ysabel Kid wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 9:01 pm
Johnny
Maybe. The very first reports were that he was found with two GSW to the head. They were scrubbed quickly and replaced with found in the woods.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Tycer wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 9:10 am
Ysabel Kid wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 9:01 pm
Johnny
Maybe. The very first reports were that he was found with two GSW to the head. They were scrubbed quickly and replaced with found in the woods.
Oh, that is interesting...