Francis Sell Guns Magazine articles

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Woodsloafer2
Levergunner 2.0

Francis Sell Guns Magazine articles

Post by Woodsloafer2 »

Always looking for new stuff of his i have not read. Have all his books and several Gun Digests with his writings. Found Guns magazine has copies of the older magazines on-line for free. in case others enjoy sell's writings here are some issues with his writings.

Aug 61
Dec 60
Oct 60
June 59
Oct 59
Feb 58
May 58
Oct 58
April 57
Nov 56
Oct 55
Nov 55

Wrote them down on paper as I found them and my hand writing is bad. Hope these are all accurate!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Francis Sell Guns Magazine articles

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Thanks, Woodsloafer. I was chasing Sell a while back for all I could find on his .25-35 Tomcat. Turned out I had driven past his driveway between Coquille and the Oregon Coast town of Bandon more than once while headed over for fishing.
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

Good deal woodsloafer, I consider Sell's writings as bedrock experienced truth when it comes to rifles and deer hunting! I've only got one his books, "The Deer Hunters Guide", but I'll read anything of his! He's only one i know of who really put the brush busting bullets&loads to an actual test, and I trust his results! He sure put a Lotta work and shooting into it! I'll look those up, Thanks!
"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life"

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
"If you gotta shoot, shoot don't talk"
Conservative since day one and until the last!
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Francis is one of my favorites. I will have to look into articles. Thanks
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

Thanks again woodsloafer for the homework you already did. I got on there this morning read the Aug 61 article. It's as usual of him outstanding! Reasons I love Sell, his hunting where he lives, is about a carbon copy of hunting here, and his tactics are what works here! His work into a specific rifle is inspiring, and true to purpose!
"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life"

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
"If you gotta shoot, shoot don't talk"
Conservative since day one and until the last!
Viejo44
Levergunner

Post by Viejo44 »

Sell wrote up his .25 Tom Cat (he said it was so mild mannered it really didn’t deserve to be called a wildcat) in an early edition of Rifle or Handloader, forget which. I’m pretty sure I have it …. somewhere. Have you located it yet?

Looking forward to the articles. BTW, I made myself study what he explained about wind flow and terrain and by golly, it “put the squeeze” on a nice black tail forked horn.

He and Elmer Keith were the only gun writers I found who understood wind and its role; Sell explained it well, Elmer didn’t.
Dave

A strongly held opinion is not necessarily an accurate opinion