Another fall deer pic thread Recipe ideas?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Another fall deer pic thread Recipe ideas?

Post by Streetstar »

HA! Made ya look :D

But about 20 lbs of ham steaks, backstraps and stew meat so far - still need to process the front shoulders, but have a grinder on the way to the house from Amazon to help out with making some burger and sausage

Feels good to join you folks in filling the freezer and the first plate of backstrap was delicious. Nothing fancy for the prep work , just marinaded in Allegro seasoning for about an hour, then salt, pepper and garlic powder and throw it on the grill for about 3 minutes per side for the thin little fillet's

Last edited by Streetstar on Wed Nov 22, 2023 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
----- Doug
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Another fall deer pic thread

Post by GunnyMack »

Mmmmm!
Next time salt and season a couple hours before cooking, cover and leave on the counter, the salt will be drawn into the meat deeper through osmosis, your seasonings will go with it!

On of my favorite things to do is keep the back strap whole, clean the silver skin off and then dice a whole head of garlic. Put the strap into a sealable container with the garlic and about a half inch of olive oil. Refrigerate for 7 days, turning daily. Cook on the grill 7 minutes per side on med high. Perfect medium rare and cut with a fork!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

GunnyMack wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 6:18 pm Mmmmm!
Next time salt and season a couple hours before cooking, cover and leave on the counter, the salt will be drawn into the meat deeper through osmosis, your seasonings will go with it!

On of my favorite things to do is keep the back strap whole, clean the silver skin off and then dice a whole head of garlic. Put the strap into a sealable container with the garlic and about a half inch of olive oil. Refrigerate for 7 days, turning daily. Cook on the grill 7 minutes per side on med high. Perfect medium rare and cut with a fork!

I couldnt wait 7 days in this case :lol: :lol:
----- Doug
JBowen
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JBowen »

Looks good Streetstar! I have mine quartered up and soaking in ice water in a large ice chest. Change the water everyday for
about 10 days and then process. Anymore I just grind the whole thing. I will make some jerky with the jerky gun.
I live and hunt in a CWD zone, so I send the head in for testing with the Game and Fish and wait for a negative before eating any of it.
Some people don't send theirs in, but It is recommended.

Anyway congrats on the venison!

JBowen
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Best venison we ever had was the straps and loins that got brined, then cold-smoked with alder chips for several days.

That is not describeable using any words I know, it is beyond description. But So Good!

The fire box was on one side of the path, and the smoke box was on the other, the smoke piped under the walk way. trays were a couple of feet square, with screens to support the meat. salmon benefit from the process too. old old Old School technology.
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

I'm butchering deer meat today. Let him hang in the hide 2 days. Then cut all the main cuts off and been in house in coolers with ice, keeping it aprox 47dgrs. I enjoy the entire process, especially the eating! I save the Loins, Back Straps, & Sirloins for frying or similar. Save the rear hams for Stew Meat. Grind the rest for Burger.
"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life"

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
"If you gotta shoot, shoot don't talk"
Conservative since day one and until the last!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Grizz, that cold-smoked venison does sound delicious. Wonder what the temperature graph looked like.
I cold-smoke cheese with a smoke tube and Traeger pellets on my Weber, but only for about two hours, and on a morning when it is below 50.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 8:03 am Grizz, that cold-smoked venison does sound delicious. Wonder what the temperature graph looked like.
I cold-smoke cheese with a smoke tube and Traeger pellets on my Weber, but only for about two hours, and on a morning when it is below 50.
I couldn't guess the temperature, but it was above freezing. The process physically alters the structure of the meat. Don't know the words to describe it. Lox is the closest but that applies to king salmon. It's as if the smoke processes the interior. The meat is moist inside. Hopefully someone knows what I'm talking about, 'cause I Dont! :lol: It is far different from any other way we used venison.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

There are some good recipe ideas in here so far

Might would require a change to the name of the thread but given that it is that time of the year maybe this thread or another thread to share recipes and preparation ideas would be cool

Since I originally posted this I now have three times as much venison to process and since I love sausage and ground meat for chili etc., I was thinking I would dedicate one completely to ground meat and sausage but wasn’t sure on the ratio of pork fat to add

Will be working on a pot of chili tomorrow though - nothing crazy, just a Carroll Shelby spice packet and some stewed and diced tomatoes- But not many people in my family like venison at all so Thanksgiving is going to be a beef tenderloin roast and all the rest of the Fixin’s anybody else wants to contribute
----- Doug
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Another fall deer pic thread Recipe ideas?

Post by Streetstar »

Ooops - range report on the 50 dollar chi-com grinder.
Works awesome so far but the metal hardware is not dishwasher safe. The feed apparatus turned black and I am now going to have to boil it in some vinegar to clean the oxidized mess off of it
—— but it ate up all the venison I could throw at it so far plus a couple of chuck roasts that were in danger of becoming freezer burnt
----- Doug
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

We age all of our venison for 4 to 5 days in the spare fridge. It REALLY allows it to tenderize as the muscle fibers break down. Temp is 40 degrees. We set the meat into pasta strainers so the blood.leaks away and doesnt taint it.
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Here’s the recipe I like
IMG_2188.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com