One Special 1911

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

One Special 1911

Post by JimT »

During the time that we were living in Mozambique, the 30th Anniversary of The Shootists was approaching. The Board decided to have Ruger build a special 1911 for the occasion. Being in Africa and not planning on returning to the U.S. other than for visits, I passed up ordering one.

Life however has a way of changing our plans and I moved back to the States in 2016 after my wife passed away.

Fast forward some months and one day my son-in-law Lane said, "Lets run into the gun shop. I want to look at something." So we headed into town. In the store he was busy with one of the guys and I spent some time talking with the owner. Then Lane called me over to look at a gun he had in front of him. It was a Ruger SR1911 and it was a Shootists Anniversary gun! I asked him, "How did you score that?" He said, "Look at it carefully." I did and there was a note from the Board Members of The Shootists saying that it was voted by the Board to send me a 30th Anniversary 1911! I was completely blown away!
1.JPG
2.JPG
Ruger did a great job building their 1911 and based on the one I have I would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone who is looking to buy a 1911. Not only is it faithful to John Browning's design, it has Ruger's warranty behind it! I haven't put more than 500 - 600 rounds through it but it has never given me a feeding problem and has produced good accuracy.
6.JPG
I felt this gun needed a special holster and in my stash I had it! An original Roy's Pancake holster designed for the 1911.
3.JPG
4.JPG
And to make it even more special, it was given to me years ago by Paco Kelly! He had used it during his days in the DEA.
5.JPG
I don't have many "Bar-b-cue Guns" but this one in this holster is certainly one of my first choices.
7.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Re: One Special 1911

Post by Tycer »

Oh my. That’s awesome.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Very nice Jim!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

What a nice gun, and gesture Jim!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Excellent
NRA Life Member
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

I like how you've personalized yours. They are nifty pistolas indeed. Thanks for the backstory on how yours came to you.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Sweet!
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

WOW :mrgreen:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Can't think of anyone who deserves that shooter more than you, Jim. It found its way home! 8)
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Perfect story. Outstanding son-in-law too.
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

I don't shoot automatics often because I hate picking up brass but when I do it's usually a 1911. I have a Colt Series 70, a Smith, a Kimber and a Sig, all in .45. Your Ruger is a beautiful gun with special meaning.

Thanks for the pictures!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Very nice Jim. Ruger builds a quality 1911 and that example is nicely embellished.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

That sure was a surprise that you were not expecting……I bet that sure made your day…….good for you Jim!——006
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Sixgun wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 9:30 pm That sure was a surprise that you were not expecting……I bet that sure made your day…….good for you Jim!——006
Yes it was. It is a pleasant gun to shoot ... really nice trigger ... good sights. Shooting heavy loads at 20 yards
IMG_5680.JPG
Recoil of that load
1911 Ruger.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

JimT wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:11 pm
Sixgun wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 9:30 pm That sure was a surprise that you were not expecting……I bet that sure made your day…….good for you Jim!——006
Yes it was. It is a pleasant gun to shoot ... really nice trigger ... good sights. Shooting heavy loads at 20 yards
IMG_5680.JPG

Recoil of that load
1911 Ruger.JPG

Awesome! And a range report to boot! Good stuff all the way around
----- Doug