Charter .44s with longer barrels

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Charter .44s with longer barrels

Post by Bill in Oregon »

All this talk about revolvers that Scott prompted with his "Recoil as I age" thread got me to thinking about the two Charter Arms Bulldog snubbies in .44 Special that I have owned and which I miss. I was scrolling through the big online sellers' revolver inventories the other day, and there was not a whole lot to choose from in .44 Special -- in double action anyway -- but I did see 4- and 6-inch versions of the Charter five-shooter available. Has anyone had much experience with these? Are they accurate enough that the adjustable sights are actually useful? Seems I read in a story in a recent back issue of HHI's "Sixgunner" about someone collecting a hog with a longer-barreled Charter .44 Special. I'm thinking the additional barrel weight and sight radius would make them a bit friendlier to shoot with hunting-level loads.
I managed to flush out this article by Mr. Taffin on the "Target Bulldogs." Oddly the 4.2 inch and a weird-looking 6-inch model with no underlug are available at Bud's as of today.

https://americanhandgunner.com/handguns ... 4-special/
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Charter .44s with longer barrels

Post by Ray »

I suspect but am not 100% sure that the following author/leverguns member is the inimitable roy yeager of handgun hunting fame who is said to have slain thousands of whitetail.....

viewtopic.php?p=932924#p932924

viewtopic.php?p=331442#p331442
m.A.g.a. !
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Ray, Roy is the man all right. He often posts at HHI. Glad someone around here has a working memory, 'cause mine isn't fully functional anymore. :lol:
That Charter 5-inch looks perfect.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

A good buddy of mine has(had) a 4" Bulldog and he carried it until he got his G20. It was a fixed sight I believe...
I'm with ya on the 5" version.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I always thought a 3" Bulldog would be a perfect 44 Spl
NRA Life Member
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

TedH wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:54 pm I always thought a 3" Bulldog would be a perfect 44 Spl
Me too! I never found one.

To Bill's question a 10 inch SBH 44 with specials in it is a putti-tat compared to the same load in shorter barrels, so yes, the longer barrel will alter the felt recoil. You might try that 10" gun unless it's just too long for your needs. 8)