Parlour Pistols and Flobert Loads

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

Parlour Pistols and Flobert Loads

Post by JimT »

Messing around with some .22 caliber round balls in the air rifle, I hit upon the idea of loading and shooting them in my little .22 caliber Bearcat Shopkeeper. No powder charge, just the priming. And it worked pretty well! So from there I decided to see how they compared to the Colibri .22's loaded with a 20 gr. “pellet” and are pretty silent, running a bit over 400 fps.
IMG_6579.JPG
I set up my .22 bullet trap with 14 sheets of cardboard in front of it. Past experience taught me that when shooting indoors you ALWAYS need to make sure none of the projectiles go any other place than where you intend them to go, and to make preparations just in case they have more power than you think they do. (no .. don't ask)
IMG_6578.JPG
IMG_6582.JPG
Using the Russian primed cases I loaded 2 round ball loads in my “Parlour Pistol” and fired them into the cardboard from about 5 feet. I round ball penetrated 6 sheets of cardboard and was stopped by the 7th. One round ball penetrated 5 sheets of cardboard and was stopped by the 6th.

I then loaded 2 of the Colibri rounds and fired them. A “clang” told me one had gone through all 14 sheets of cardboard and into the bullet trap. Examination of the sheets confirmed what I heard. The other shot penetrated 13 sheets and was stopped by the 14th sheet.

More than twice the power of my home-made round ball loads.

I then decided to try some pointed .22 caliber pellets loaded into the Russian primed cases. To get them to fit I had to mangle the hollow base. I am sure that did not help velocity or accuracy. Firing them into the cardboard I pellet penetrated 4 sheets and stopped in the 5th sheet. 1 pellet penetrated 5 sheets and stopped in the 6th sheet.
IMG_6590.JPG
IMG_6592.JPG
IMG_6597.JPG
IMG_6601.JPG
The round ball is much easier to use.

There was no leading in the cylinder or the bore. I lubed all the rounds I shot before loading them into the pistol. There was some carbon in the chambers and the bore. A pass with the brass brush cleaned it right up.
IMG_6608.JPG
Recovered pointed pellet
IMG_6609.JPG
Recovered round ball

The .22 Round Ball weighs 15 grains.
The .22 Pointed Pellet weighs 14 grains.
The Colibri Pellet weighs 20 grains and is rated at 420 fps by Aguila.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Parlour Pistols and Flobert Loads

Post by GunnyMack »

Jim you need to find the correct number drill and make a sizer for the skirt and get them down to case id. Maybe add a little bit of powder just for kicks?
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

GunnyMack wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 2:07 pm Jim you need to find the correct number drill and make a sizer for the skirt and get them down to case id. Maybe add a little bit of powder just for kicks?
I probably have it ... the round balls are just so easy to use. :lol:
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Be interesting experiment to try though.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
4t5
Senior Levergunner

Post by 4t5 »

I would guess because the skirts are tapered, they could be shortened to the right dia.Make a block of the right depth , and trim with a sharp blade, and it would be repeatable , however the weight would be reduced. A hole bored to the desired dia would stop the skirt at the right depth, Would be fun.
Rumble.com/ hickock45
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Jim, do you cast those .22-cal round balls or buy them?
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Ysabel Kid wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:26 pm Jim, do you cast those .22-cal round balls or buy them?
I bought them from Midway.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

When bad weather sends Jim to the shop, fun things emerge. :lol:
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

JimT wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:50 pm
Ysabel Kid wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:26 pm Jim, do you cast those .22-cal round balls or buy them?
I bought them from Midway.
Found them! Thanks Jim!

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1015737082?pid=273129
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

YESSIR!