speaking of ballistics sticks and stones version

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

speaking of ballistics sticks and stones version

Post by Grizz »

I always thought that the "hunting scenes" in museums based on anthro-ignorance was suspect. I even went so far as to point out, from a hunter perspective, what was wrong with the expert's diorama, to no avail... Turns out that an atlatl will put a clovis point clean through a bison. "shocking". it also turns out that the impact velocity and accuracy is beyond anyone's wildest guess. don'tcha love it when reality rings in?

https://www.newscientist.com/article/23 ... n-thought/

https://basketmakeratlatl.com/

https://experiment.com/projects/underst ... rojectiles

this makes me wonder why the atlatl predated the bow and arrow by thousands of years, and whether the introduction of horses had something to do with it. and did the indigenous peoples forget the atlatl when they were trying to stop euro-centric migrations?

are there any experienced atlatl hunters around?

thanks,
grizz
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Re: speaking of ballistics sticks and stones version

Post by Walt »

I'll bet there are, Grizz. Check the atlatl forums. (just kidding but ya never know!)
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Interesting links, Grizz!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

thanks Guys. I was wondering if someone camped around here is experienced. I know there are bow hunters here, but perhaps we have all ignored the first 120,000 years of our hunting heritage. If there are 120000 years. :) deep dives into "primitive" weapons today. How primitive can they be if they fed mankind for over a hundred thousand years. I like that they have built-in silencers and are not nfa weapons, and have around a 75 yard or more useful range and make less noise than a bow, and can punch two wide holes in bison.

I got an earful from a real archeologist about the 'clovis police' who bedeviled everyone who said that clovis are not the first peoples into this continent and there are certified 50,000 and 120,000 year old sites that absolutely have human bones, long before the bering sea land bridge existed. and the clovis police destroyed the explorers who were finding sites much deeper than clovis sites, and assured the world that the clovis people remains are the first and oldest on the continent. all the time I was hearing about this I kept thinking about all the doctors whose careers were trashed because they discovered and told the truth about the woohon flu. They were treated the same way the pioneering archeologists were treated.

And come to think of it, it's the same way the climate realists, and the spiritual realists, and the culture realists are getting treated and attacked, and the political realists, trashed by the swamp-ghetto, and the gender-benders trafficking and destroying children, and the blood thirsty shriekers murdering the most innocent.

The disinformation and the misinformation cartel is accusing the sane of their own wickedness.

Sheesh ! How did I get here from the atlatl ?

A stimulating day . . .
Rockrat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rockrat »

think the bow and arrow are a bit more complicated than the atlatl and the atlatl is so much larger than the bow/arrow, unless you talk of english longbows. An atlatl would be tough to use on horseback.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Rockrat wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:58 pm think the bow and arrow are a bit more complicated than the atlatl and the atlatl is so much larger than the bow/arrow, unless you talk of english longbows. An atlatl would be tough to use on horseback.
I think so. This article says the atlatl can travel 100 mph and hit at 100 yards, which may be out of range of the flat bows.

https://justsurvival.com/how-to-make-an-atlatl
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

I did not click the links but Ryan Gill (he has a youtube channel) killed a buffalo with an atlatl a couple years ago.
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

wvfarrier wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:07 am I did not click the links but Ryan Gill (he has a youtube channel) killed a buffalo with an atlatl a couple years ago.
Thanks. I wonder what accounts for the shift to bows and arrows. Something works for a hundred thousand years, [if there were a hundred thousand years], and then people forgot about it? Climate changed? Horses arrived? IDK. It is interesting. Maybe some day people will forget about air travel.

grizz