Went to a gun show today

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ysabel Kid

Went to a gun show today

Post by Ysabel Kid »

First time in probably 3 years. 2 years for sure. Really small one in an American Legion hall. It was disappointing. No black powder, very little reloading supplies - all overpriced. Lots of ammo - all overpriced. Only highlight was a table full of lever-actions, but - just to be consistent - all overpriced. The Rossi 92's they had were $200 - $300 more than the exact same thing at Academy Sports. :roll:

I may go back and look at an external hammer side by side in 16 gauge, but I need to feed a new cartridge like I need another hole in my head. :lol:
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Went to a gun show today

Post by gamekeeper »

Good luck with finding a 16 gauge hammer gun, gun shows over here are rare I haven't been to one for years :(
131042-2-medium.jpg
Tula 63. USSR.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Come to think of it, I haven’t been to a gun show since the onset of Covid.

They have one here in SA this weekend but I just don’t know if I have that much interest
samsi
Levergunner 2.0

Post by samsi »

We have a small show locally about twice a year. The only thing that makes it worthwhile are a couple guys who collect old bullet moulds and loading tools. There's sometimes good stuff they're unloading. Other than that it takes about 15 minutes to see the whole thing.

Back in the '90's when I worked in Del Rio I'd go to the monthly show in San Antonio. It was worth the drive back then, cost me a lot of money...
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

That's a bummer, Jay.

We're pretty lucky around here, several good shows along with the Ohio Gun Collector's association and the Maumee Valley GCA. Though the the Maumee show isn't doing well. Seems to get smaller every year. I think they need to put some more effort into promoting it.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I'll be volunteering at the Sweetwater Rifle and Pistol Club show next weekend. It is held in conjunction with the Rattlesnake Roundup right next door. I am told it is a good one. The next one in Abilene will be in June.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I haven't been to a good gun show in years. I watch several on-line gun shops and about every six weeks Momma and I take a ride over to PA where there just happen to be five Gun shops on the way to the Mall . one usually has around 100 used guns on the racks that can be handled and looked at. never know what might be there. We eat a Good Meal and head Home . No crowds ,experts or aggravation.
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

Where I live all the gun shows have guns at “they are not making guns anymore prices. “ I see guns that normally would have an $800 price tag now trying to be sold for $2500.I think most of these are by guys looking to sell off their collections and put high prices on them hoping that someone will be stupid enough to buy them.I figure they end up taking them home again instead of selling them.I t s ok to try and make a profit but you have to ask a fairly reasonable price if you really want to sell it.
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

Been 5 or more years since I have gone to a gun show! American legion hall and same as YK's in experience!
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
Rockrat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rockrat »

We had one this weekend. Lots of bullets and brass and powder. Decent prices on some of it. Even found 50 pieces of new 35 Rem brass and a partial box of 12 rounds for $5. More Marlin 39A's than I have seen in a long time. Even a 375 Win and 375 win brass for $0.60 ea. Was arguing with myself about a Rem. pump 308 for under $300 (fair shape) but once I talked myself into it and went back, it was gone. Only the second one I have seen in 10 years!!

Decent show
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

BTW, I did see both .25-20 WCF and .32-20 WCF ammunition. The former was $149.99 for a box of 50; the latter a "deal" at $99.99 a box of 50. :roll:
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

I have not been to a gun show this century. I quit the Ohio Gun Collectors when the left Vet's Memorial in Columbus. If I thought I could find some brass cases and perhaps some bullets at even a 20% inflated price, I might try it.
Shrapnel
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Shrapnel »

While all of you are not going, this is some of what I picked up in the last month or so…

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

You must be living right! :D
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

I haven't been to a show for a long time last Shot show for work was in 2005. I get invites from friends in the business to parties but just not the same. My wife now buy more guns than I do.
It is not the critic who counts
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Last show I was at was 20 years ago. I made the mistake of letting a buddy drive and on the way home in a fit of absent mindedness on his part we missed our exit, by the time we realized it we had to travel further to get off the PA turnpike, I knew how to get there from here and when we got off the turnpike some dingbat missed a stop sign and we T- boned at highway speed! After extracting ourselves from the totaled car we got to the dingbats car and with blood trickling down her face she says I don't have insurance. No seat belt for her or her friends 5yr old in the backseat! Took years for that accident to resolve.

I never seemed to buy anything at shows anyway so no great loss
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I remember when I lived in MI there was an annual show in our town that was great. Then I moved down south and there was a show just as good - every other month! It was fantastic, at first. Best place to buy primers, powder and lead - no hazmat charges, no heavy shipping charges, and stellar pricing.

Then reloading supplies dried up, or when they had them, way overpriced. Lots of booths replaced by jewelry and junk.

Back in the day I could also could on a couple tables that had stuff for cartridge collectors too. Don't think I've seen one of those in 20 years. :(

I did go back to the show the next day, and ended up buying the external hammer double. It ended up being a 12 gauge, not a 16. Was able to talk him down. But I'm not sure future shows will be worth it.

COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

I use to go to the Tanner GS here in Denver from about 1981 in the old convention center. It was the largest show in Colorado and had everything but it started to fade about 2016 and then COVID hit. When it came back it had moved to a hotel conference area and was just about ARs, jewelry and sky high prices on everything. Sadly, it's not worth going to any more.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Liking that hammer double, Jay. 8)
I am working the ticket booth from 3 to 6 today at our Sweetwater show, and will stick my nose in the door and look around before I start my shift.
Guessing there were good hauls of rattlesnakes for the roundup, thanks to those temps in the 80s last week.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:24 am Liking that hammer double, Jay. 8)
I am working the ticket booth from 3 to 6 today at our Sweetwater show, and will stick my nose in the door and look around before I start my shift.
Guessing there were good hauls of rattlesnakes for the roundup, thanks to those temps in the 80s last week.
Looking forward to a report, Bill. :D
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

Here in NM we used to have gun shows at the state fairgrounds but our ultra-left governor declared that no further gun transactions will be done in state-owned buildings. She seems to think that notoriety will get her somewhere. Maybe someday she'll advance to being a WallyWorld greeter.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Walt, I share your hopes for Michelle's future.
I was thrilled to see my first Peabody Martini target rifle -- in .44-100 -- this afternoon at our club's gun show at the Rattlesnake Roundup.