Regarding Rossi and other 92s hunting with 44 Magnum

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Naphtali
Levergunner 2.0

Regarding Rossi and other 92s hunting with 44 Magnum

Post by Naphtali »

I picked up a couple of boxes of Privi (PPU) 300-grain JSP 44 Magnum. For factory ammunition, it appears to be among the highest performing factory stuff - on paper.

Is its advertised velocity accurate fired in 20-inch barrels?

Is its jacketed soft point bullet slow expanding enough for reliable penetration on elk?
It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson
LeverGunner
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Regarding Rossi and other 92s hunting with 44 Magnum

Post by LeverGunner »

Accuracy will be dependent if your particular gun likes it. But most likely it'll be as accurate as any other factory ammo.

I haven't any idea on the bullets performance, and am interested myself.

I know that I had Federal Champion 44 Magnum bullets have core jacket separations when recovered in water... and that was from a handgun. Certainly not a bullet I'd trust.
The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.

BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets.

Lead Alloy Calculator
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I've used it on whitetail, from various Marlin 1894's (Remlins mostly) and it groups 2-3" with a scope from a rest at 100 yards, and punches through the thorax both sides. Not exactly elk, but the only 'big game' I hunt.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Haven't used this one, but I have had nothing but good luck with PPU ammo and brass.
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

Not to take away from the Prvi 44 Magnum ammo, but something I encountered with Prvi 45-70 is that the recoil pushed the bullet deeper into a few cartridges. Fortunately, I only bought one box so my 1886 Browning turned into a single shot for the remainder of the the 20 rounds. Anyone else experience this issue with Prvi ammo when being fired out of lever guns with tubular magazines in any chambering?
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

kaschi wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:29 pm Not to take away from the Prvi 44 Magnum ammo, but something I encountered with Prvi 45-70 is that the recoil pushed the bullet deeper into a few cartridges. Fortunately, I only bought one box so my 1886 Browning turned into a single shot for the remainder of the the 20 rounds. Anyone else experience this issue with Prvi ammo when being fired out of lever guns with tubular magazines in any chambering?

i have used this round in several lever actions [ marlin 94, rossi 92, and ruger model 96/44 ] and had no problems. like most Prvi ammo they are stout loads.
cable
Naphtali
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Naphtali »

hfcable wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:19 pm
kaschi wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:29 pm Not to take away from the Prvi 44 Magnum ammo, but something I encountered with Prvi 45-70 is that the recoil pushed the bullet deeper into a few cartridges. Fortunately, I only bought one box so my 1886 Browning turned into a single shot for the remainder of the the 20 rounds. Anyone else experience this issue with Prvi ammo when being fired out of lever guns with tubular magazines in any chambering?
i have used this round in several lever actions [ marlin 94, rossi 92, and ruger model 96/44 ] and had no problems. like most Prvi ammo they are stout loads.

kaschi: What game, if any, have you taken with such rifle and ammunition?
It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

If you're asking about taking game with a 45-70, I have not taken any. Never took my 45-70s in the woods on a hunt.