Winchester 94 in Need of A Tune Up

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
ikocher
Levergunner

Winchester 94 in Need of A Tune Up

Post by ikocher »

I've had a 70's era Winchester 94 in .30-30 for a while now and it's been a bit of a saga in terms of getting it into a useful condition. It looked nice enough when I got it but it had issues and inside it's sort of a mess. The biggest issue I've had is the cartridge stop doesn't work right and will jam up the works. Either I end up gouging the rim of the cartridge or it dumps one under the linkage and it does it often. I had a smith look at it years ago and they welded up the stop and reshaped but I still have issues. It was good enough that I could load 3 rounds for hunting I'd better not need to run the action. Thankfully, I never needed to.

I'd really like to get the rifle mechanically reliable and could use some help. Since current "Winchester" doesn't repair older USRA guns, is there a recommended smith that can do a great job restoring the action that any of y'all recommend?
Psalm 104:14 - He causes the grass to grow for the cattle, And vegetation for the service of man, That he may bring forth food from the earth (NKJV)
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Winchester 94 in Need of A Tune Up

Post by gamekeeper »

Sorry I can't help not many leveraction gunsmiths on my side of the pond :( but I'm sure someone will be along with advice shortly.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: Winchester 94 in Need of A Tune Up

Post by Griff »

Midwest Gun Works. Be sure to communicate in advance with them and ensure they understand the problem. Just because it will hold one cartridge in the magazine doesn't mean it will hold seven (carbine) or 10, (rifle).
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!