Thinking R92

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Thinking R92

Post by Grizz »

The Winchester 1892 is my all time favorite carbine, even though I sold mine last century. Naturally every time the R92 454 comes up my acquisitive gene fires up and I start browsing again . . .
45_R92 454.jpg
My daughter has the older 45 Colt version and I know exactly how it handles. So, let's see, I can get into one at around just under a grand after the various fees and taxes... So, out comes the TKO Calc . . ,
45_454 Casull V 45-70 ab.jpg
A top load from the 454 is near the bottom load of the 45/70 . . . I know, but it's about a good comparison. And then . . ,
45_454 Casull V 45-70 e.jpg
comparing the 1911 45 Super to the 45/70/525 at the velocity from Blaine's BFR, and noting that the 45 Super load penetrated 62 inches of gel, and the 45/70 load from the guide gun penetrated 12 jugs of water at 1425 fps, it appears that I can't actually justify getting the 92, since the 95 has all the bases I'll ever see covered.
45_1911_45 Super American Classic.jpeg
Funny how long it takes me to talk myself out of another gun . . ,
45_1895GS 45-70.jpeg
That sight was adjusted shooting from a friend's skiff at seashells on the shore line, and he corroborated my setting, which I tightened down as hard as I could, and have never messed with it. . . Pretty much an ideal actual subsistence harvesting combo.
That said, I am having trouble finding a suitable firearm for my collection of .22 WMR ammo, and and am almost ready to get an upper for my American Rifle lower . . . any thoughts? I like the looks of the Rossi self-loader, but it costs more and I'd have to deal with the snotty counter guy and the other forms and fees and taxes, whereas . . ,

Good Afternoon Y'All :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
oldebear1950
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Thinking R92

Post by oldebear1950 »

I traded for the Rossi R 92 45 colt/454 casull, and so far all I have fired from it have been 45 colt. Both my reloads, and factory loads. Both have worked just fine,
The one I have is the 20 inch barrel, stainless, and I changed out the plastic magazine follower, for a steel one from Steves Gunz. I also changed out the buckhorn rear sight for a peep sight from him, and the safety for pins from him.
I grew up using both Marlins and Winchesters, and my two granddads, were old time town marshalls, in Oklahoma during the oil boom of the 1920s and 1930s. Oklahoma was a wild place during that time.
They carried their carbines on the job, and tended to use them all the time.
They taught us the basics of using a gun, never point at anything you do not aim to shoot, never shoot anything you do not aim to kill, do not play with guns. It is always loaded till you check it out, and when using a lever gun, do not be weak wristed when working the lever, it can jam if you do.
They were wise old guys. We miss them terribly
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

oldebear1950 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:43 pm I traded for the Rossi R 92 45 colt/454 casull, and so far all I have fired from it have been 45 colt. Both my reloads, and factory loads. Both have worked just fine,
The one I have is the 20 inch barrel, stainless, and I changed out the plastic magazine follower, for a steel one from Steves Gunz. I also changed out the buckhorn rear sight for a peep sight from him, and the safety for pins from him.
I grew up using both Marlins and Winchesters, and my two granddads, were old time town marshalls, in Oklahoma during the oil boom of the 1920s and 1930s. Oklahoma was a wild place during that time.
They carried their carbines on the job, and tended to use them all the time.
They taught us the basics of using a gun, never point at anything you do not aim to shoot, never shoot anything you do not aim to kill, do not play with guns. It is always loaded till you check it out, and when using a lever gun, do not be weak wristed when working the lever, it can jam if you do.
They were wise old guys. We miss them terribly
That's some good background. Seems Oklahoma has been wild for some time.

I got the same safety training from Dad, and passed it on to my children and their children.

good stuff
oldebear1950
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldebear1950 »

yeah, but now seems all the young ones think they know everythiing, and can learn nothing. but I did pass the knowledge on.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Grizz, not a lever gun, but that little Ruger Super Wrangler will feed on those .22 WMR shells you have stockpiled. 8)
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

S&W now has a 22 mag pistol with 30 round magazines, you could use up your stock pile easily!!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
JBowen
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JBowen »

Grizz, look at it like this- you need ( :D ) a backup. Remember the old saying, “one is none and two is one”. Now you have a good excuse to buy one.

JBowen
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:04 pm Grizz, not a lever gun, but that little Ruger Super Wrangler will feed on those .22 WMR shells you have stockpiled. 8)
Thanks guys. I bought the first wrangler and am disappointed. At under 50 rounds total, there is evidence of deformation on the hand and scratches on the back of the cylinder. Bummed about it because it looks abnormal, but haven't contacted Ruger about it. And it does make me a little 'gun-shy' about getting another one right now.

I'll keep the 22 mag derringer fed. Heck, the 556 is 22++ enough isn't it? I have a pistol version, can put the BDC scope on it and make noise I guess . . . LOL
ywaltzucanrknrl
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ywaltzucanrknrl »

I've been really satisfied with the R92 I have in 45 Colt. I often thought about trying to find one in 454 and mostly shooting 45 Colt in it like was mentioned above.

On 22 mags, my wife likes pistols. She bought a Kel-Tec 22 mag pistol, I don't know the model. I've heard a lot of people cuss Kel-Tec's, but I can say after using hers a few times, it is very accurate and reliable with the right ammo. She has shot it quite a lot---several bricks so far and no problems. She did try several types of ammo and it is ammo sensitive, so your ammo might not function well---some she tried didn't function well. The sights are nice for old eyes. Good trigger in my opinion. On the other hand, it's like every 22 mag pistol I've even been around---it has a lot more noise than I think it should have.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

ywaltzucanrknrl wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:41 am I've been really satisfied with the R92 I have in 45 Colt. I often thought about trying to find one in 454 and mostly shooting 45 Colt in it like was mentioned above.

On 22 mags, my wife likes pistols. She bought a Kel-Tec 22 mag pistol, I don't know the model. I've heard a lot of people cuss Kel-Tec's, but I can say after using hers a few times, it is very accurate and reliable with the right ammo. She has shot it quite a lot---several bricks so far and no problems. She did try several types of ammo and it is ammo sensitive, so your ammo might not function well---some she tried didn't function well. The sights are nice for old eyes. Good trigger in my opinion. On the other hand, it's like every 22 mag pistol I've even been around---it has a lot more noise than I think it should have.
THANKS ALL on these suggestions. I am not certain what I want to do, beyond the Derringer supply, which, BTW, is not the best caliber for close-ups, based on testing I saw recently, so more questions than answers. OTOH an ar pistol upper with red dot or scope would be a good foraging tool as long as the Stopper was strapped alongside. BUT BUTBUT . . . I already have an ar pistol that can fill that roll. I keep talking myself out of new guns . . .

thanks for the interest, i might finally be "of an age" where more than two things at a time seems challenging. i'm NOT SAYING THAT I AM THERE YET, but I might be saying that I have reached the utility saturation point . . . BUT that's more than two things :!:

laughing out loud, grizz