Colt .357 modifications suggestions

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Colt .357 modifications suggestions

Post by Streetstar »

Last range trip, i felt a lot more lead spitting than i would like out of my trusty Colt Lawman

Ive got a 'smith to tune it up and tighten it up but my mind wandered a bit and i thought --- if its going under the knife anyway -- may as well make some improvements

Right now its a stock Colt Lawman (fixed sight Trooper, Mark 3 action) that has previously been parkerized - ruining what little "Colt tax" this gun may have once had -- but im the one who had it park'd way back when anyway -- no regrets - its a field pistol---

I am hellbent on having it chopped to 3" but am posting to solicit opinions on sights and finishes -- was thinking a fiber optic front sight and having the rear machined for a better combat sight , -- but - i dont see it mentioned much , but the world is ga ga over red dots -- maybe take the opportunity to affix a red dot to the darn thing? Im not even running one on my current carry guns but i am not immune to the benefits

And the parkerizing is looking tired - was wanting to cera-kote it in a fresh finish -- was thinking a bronze finish like you see on some current SIG legion pistols - but definitely sont want the gun to appear "Bubba'd"

Regarding the mechanics of the gun - the action has been smoothed out over a lifetime of use and i prefer shooting it to a new one. I dont really need any changes there and am definitely not going to bob the hammer - the cylinder timing is just a bit off

Thanks gents - its a slow Monday for me so the mind is wandering

influenced a bit by this article -- but the colt is not K frame size, its closer to L frame, so not all the stuff in the article is applicable at all

https://gunsmagazine.com/discover/the-r ... ger-mckee/

----- Doug
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Colt .357 modifications suggestions

Post by TraderVic »

Interesting project (and revolver).
I have Novak sights on my 3" Ruger GP100 Wiley Clapp. Planning on changing the rear sight to a Novak adjustable sight. I like the sight picture.
Best wishes as you proceed..
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

RIP Tiger. We miss you.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

TraderVic wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 4:33 pm Interesting project (and revolver).
I have Novak sights on my 3" Ruger GP100 Wiley Clapp. Planning on changing the rear sight to a Novak adjustable sight. I like the sight picture.
Best wishes as you proceed..
I just looked up the Wiley Clapp GP-100 - the Novak sights look great on there
----- Doug
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

Doug, I sure like them. Keep us posted as your project moves along. Revolvers rule...
Regards, Vic
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

If you haven't tried an aperture site for the rear, try one before you make your decision. I have one that was just a drop in blade designed to fit Ruger revolver adjustable rear sights, and I have another one on my Glock that is a fixed rear with tritium inserts. Other than a red dot there isn't any sight I've used that's as fast and yet still allows precision.

https://www.warrencustomoutdoor.com/one ... ruger.html

Try it out.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Galloway
Levergunner

Post by Galloway »

I like the matte stainless and 4'' barrel now. Just say it was rare weather guard finish colt offered in the eighties if anyone teases you lol :D
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Well, she's gone --- dropped her off at the 'smith friday and they have a backlog of work so i have a few weeks to contemplate sights, finishes, and anything else.

thinking to myself -- what am i gaining with a novack lo-mount except being drift adjustable -- might put a fiber optic on the front and call it good, a'la some of the Smith carry pistols they have been coming out with ---- its not and never will be a target pistol
----- Doug
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I much prefer fixed sights on a using handgun. If it is set up right you don’t need adjustable sights.

My Wylie Clapp SP101 rear sight had to be glued down as the set screw simply wouldn’t hold it in place.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 7:12 am I much prefer fixed sights on a using handgun. If it is set up right you don’t need adjustable sights.

My Wylie Clapp SP101 rear sight had to be glued down as the set screw simply wouldn’t hold it in place.
i agree with this, and apply it to my guide gun too. once the bullets go There, i don't want the sights wandering around.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Grizz wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 12:11 pm
Scott Tschirhart wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 7:12 am I much prefer fixed sights on a using handgun. If it is set up right you don’t need adjustable sights.

i agree with this, and apply it to my guide gun too. once the bullets go There, i don't want the sights wandering around.
Unless you change the load often (I'm too lazy, and once I find one reliable/accurate enough, I stick with it), or plan on doing lots of long-range stuff where elevation adjustment is actually needed, I agree.

That's why mostly I like the Marble's Bullseye sight on carbines, and a ghost-ring on handguns, when possible.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "