44 mag Super Blackhawk 150 yd ???

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

44 mag Super Blackhawk 150 yd ???

Post by Old Savage »

Took the new SBH out today and shot at 50 yds. Proload 240s - 20 yr old ammo 1350 fps.
After the first shot - sight change - 1 1/2" three shot group off a rest at 50 yds. Then ..... 5 to 6 inch groups and - the lowest the sights can be adjusted is 7" high at 50 yds.

150 YDS ZERO !!!!!!!!!!

What are the options?

Of course I will get some new Federal that shot well and retest.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: 44 mag Super Blackhawk 150 yd ???

Post by AJMD429 »

Aside from a higher front sight (I has a gunsmith replace the whole thing with a ramp and gold bead [my first 'gunsmithing' project was making my own rear V-notch sight blade to match the front bead, from a scrap piece of steel and blueing it 8) ] in 1975 when I first got the gun, so for me that would be easy to put in a taller blade/bead, but if yours is the original factory setup, you'd have to replace it or somehow build it up and shape it.

You might be able to cut the rear blade insert with a deeper notch; it looks like few couple hundredths inch at best before you hit the sight base itself, but take a look and see. If it looks feasable, make a substitute to play with before you grind on your original one.

Geometry should enable you to calculate how many hundredths you need if you know sight radius, target distance, and how far you're off at that distance.

I'd sure check lots of other loads before any permanent alteration though.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Fred,

Short of altering your loads you'll need a taller front sight. This short front sight syndrome seems to be chronic with Ruger and other gun makers. There's no excuse for it really.

The best bet would be to have the blade milled off and a slot cut in the existing base, then a new taller blade pinned in place. That's what I had to have done on my OM BH .45. Now it shoots where I want it to.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

What's wrong with a 150 yard zero? With that high velocity zinger load it makes perfect sense.

Might be interesting to try a variety of bullets before altering the gun. Light ones. Heavy ones. There might be one the gun favors just the way it is..... It's all about the gun.

Grizz
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

True Grizz, I already have other guns that aren't 150 yard guns. The Federals I first shot were more accurate and the first group I shot at 50yds was a 1 1/2" group. So I will try other loads for sure.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

My Super BH has an easy to remove front sight blade - you just depress a spring loaded catch in the front of the base and then slide the sight out - and replace with a taller front sight. Contact Ruger and tell them your situation and see if they don't send you one or two gratis.

Here's a pic of my Hunter:

NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
bj94
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bj94 »

Another option is to handload some bullets under 240 grains, maybe 200 grains.
blackhawk44
Levergunner 2.0

Post by blackhawk44 »

To experiment with a higher front sight, build it up with JB Weld and color with magic marker. Make it overly high then start filing it down to suit. If you like it, get a steel replacement made to the same height. If you don't, warm the JB to 200* with your propane torch and wipe it off.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

OK, here is the answer - the rear sight blade is taller than other Blackhawks or some Superblackhawks. I just need to get a lower one from Ruger. :D Or, hold the top of the front sight half way up the notch.

PPpastordon
Levergunner 2.0

Post by PPpastordon »

Old Savage wrote:OK, here is the answer - the rear sight blade is taller than other Blackhawks or some Superblackhawks. I just need to get a lower one from Ruger. :D Or, hold the top of the front sight half way up the notch.
Actually, I have owned several Blackhawk variants that had a too tall or too short REAR sight. These rear sight blades must come in different heights. Seriously: You might ask Ruger about a different, shorter blade!
Grace and Peace.
Pastordon
Pastordon's Blog
The man who thinks he knows something does not yet know as he ought to know. (1 Cor. 8:2)
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

My 5 1/2" SBH has a shorter blade - I am going to contact Ruger next week. Thanks.

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Received the shorter rearsight blade from Ruger at no charge. It is about .040 shorter and that should bring it down about 7.5" so it puts it right in the ball park. Easy to install after I figured the little job out. :D
Last edited by Old Savage on Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

OS -

Looking forward to the next range report. Good luck!!! :D
CraigC
Levergunner 2.0

Post by CraigC »

Had the same problem with my 7½" Bisley .44. It would only shoot to point of aim with full-bore loads. Factory equivalent .44Spl loads it just flung the bullet right over the target. It was going to Clements anyway so I had it fitted with taller, yet interchangeable, custom front sight.

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Craig,

That's interesting scalloping on the stocks on that gun... You must have much larger hands than I do as those stocks are rather full.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
CraigC
Levergunner 2.0

Post by CraigC »

Those are just out-of-the-box Hogue cowboy grips. They are quite a bit thicker than factory and nicely rounded. I don't really have huge hands, I wear a size 9 glove but those thicker grips work great for me. The difference in comfort between the Hogue's and factory grips is night and day. That particular sixgun was fitted with fancy walnut from CLC before I put them on a Bisley .32H&R. Now it wears some ivory micarta I got off Ebay. Just don't have any good pictures since the grip change.