Weaver Opinions

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Weaver Opinions

Post by 6pt-sika »

I have about a dozen older Marlin's that I wish to scope !

Normally I am use Leupold almost exclusively , however these are not what I would call "regular hunting rifles" . So I thought I would use some of the older Weaver scopes . All the rifles I want to scope were made from 1959 to about 1983 .

I have a few 444's a 45-70 and a 30-30 that I thought would be alright with K2.5 or K3's .

Then I have a couple 375's that I thought the V7 might be alright on followed by a pair of 356's I thought V9's would work for !

I also have a 336SC in 219 Zipper , I'd kinda like to find a nice old V12 for that one , but another V9 would do in a pinch !

As I said before I am a die hard Leupold person , but I hate to sit 200-350 on top of each of these rifles . So I thought the older Weavers might be a decent way to go !

Before anyone says anything about one of the Jap brands like Simmons , Tasco etc STOP . Thats not an option :wink:
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Weaver Opinions

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

6pt-sika , I have several of the old Weavers with the steel tubes. I dont think you can go wrong if they are in good shape. As for the newer Weavers, well I have a couple of the variables and three of the
Fine T-36`s. I have a 36X leupold also but the waevers work just as good for me. Now if I were going to have dangerous game in front of me it would be Leupold all the way!!! :D
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Chuck , I have (I think) 14 Leupolds and a Swarovski that get moved around from rifle to rifle every year !

I figure for the older Marlin's that are more as collectibles then hard hunting rifles the Weavers from the same time period should be okay !

Now for the Guide Guns and XLR's it's Leupold all the way !

You speak of dangerouse game ! I have a Interarms Mark X "Whitworth" mauser that has been rebarreled to 416 REM MAG (it was originally 375 H&H MAG). And I keep an older Leupold 1.5-5x on it !

Last time I hunted with my 375 H&H MAG I believe it had a Leupold Vari XII 3-9 on top !
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

I live within 10 miles of the Leupold plant and I don't own anything, but Weavers. Over half of the shooters, in our smallbore silhouette league, prefer Weavers. Weavers are priced a bit better also. New or old I still prefer Weavers. Did I say I liked Weavers? :D
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I'm pretty sure my Weaver is not made in USA.

It's nice though. Seems like as good as I will ever want.

Since you're not supposed to view through your scope except for target acquisition, I didn't want to go crazy with the cost, either.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
mark
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mark »

Evening,

Before you make a decision, I suggest that you have a look through a Burris 2-7x35 Fullfield II.

Particularly if you have problems with your eyesight.

I don't know what they do optically, but I find them easier on the eyes than the other scopes I have tried.

These include my Khales 6x and a 2-7 Leupold compact.

All the best

Mark
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

I like the old Weavers. There seems to be plenty of them at the gunshows prices very alot. I have a couple of K4 's and they are clear and work well in low light. I would like a k3 but the ones I find seem to have the target reticle. Which the crosshairs are just to fine in low light for hunting.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

BenT wrote:I like the old Weavers. There seems to be plenty of them at the gunshows prices very alot. I have a couple of K4 's and they are clear and work well in low light. I would like a k3 but the ones I find seem to have the target reticle. Which the crosshairs are just to fine in low light for hunting.
I'm trying to find scopes that were made from 1960 - 1980 and have already acquired a pair of K2.5's . And am working on two more and possibly a K3 . I am pretty comfortable with them so far . However the older V7 and V9 I am not as comfortable with . I suppose I will just have to make the jump . And if they are cheap enough I can always sell them to someone around here before deer season if I don't like them !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

mark wrote:Evening,

Before you make a decision, I suggest that you have a look through a Burris 2-7x35 Fullfield II.

Particularly if you have problems with your eyesight.

I don't know what they do optically, but I find them easier on the eyes than the other scopes I have tried.

These include my Khales 6x and a 2-7 Leupold compact.

All the best

Mark
Mark , thanks for the comments !

I already have quite a few Leupolds and the Swarovski that get moved quite a bit .
What I'm trying to do is find compatible "OLDER" Weavers that I will leave on the older rifles I have !

Lately every deer season it is a pain in the butt having to move scopes constantly because I want to try another different rifle . So in theory I am thinking this may be a decent semi cheap way to get scopes on these older guys and leave them there ! It also kinda fits in with the nostalgic thing as well !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Let me say if I were not trying to save a little money on these "older" rifles I would scope all the ones that will get K2.5 or K3's and scope them with Leupold 1-4's . The 375's and 356's would get scoped with Leupold 3-9's and the Zipper would get a Leupold 4-12 .

But with the older in decent shape Weavers I am planning on getting these "old used scopes" for less then $100 a piece !
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

can't comment intellegently on the older models - are they nitrogen purged or similar?

I do own some recent model Weavers and they are good scopes but I've come to the realization that Nikon Prostaff's are the schitz for the money. IMHO
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

O.S.A.K.,
Yes, the older Weavers had vacum pulled & then filled with nitrogen.
But over the years anyone could have done who knows what to them.
There is a "trick" to fogging scopes,if you have this problem PM me.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

The SteelLite II scopes are sharper than the Leupolds. The new ones are very sharp but have less eye relief. I have an old Weaver 2.5 on my 35 Rem and it is good enough for sub minute shooting even though I had to glue the front lens back into the plastic mounting. I say go for it and show the results.

Model 88s from the 60s

35 Rem with 2.5

30-30 with refinished 4 power

Cute girl at a car show - don't know her - coaxed her into this picture - then she lit up - you never know

250 with a Steelite II
Last edited by Old Savage on Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:15 pm, edited 8 times in total.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

reflex264
Levergunner 1.0

Post by reflex264 »

Hey 6pt. You probably already know my answer. :mrgreen: While I own a pile of Leupolds old and new my weakness is steel tube Weavers. If they are in goos condition they still get it done. I have a nice collection of them and I am fixin to stick a 1956 model K2.5 on my 1968 444 Marlin in a set of brand new vintage pivot mounts. I also have a set of 3/4" pivots with the Marlin base that I am going to stick a post reticle J2.5 in. Some of you have read my posts before about Grandpa. HE and Bill Weaver were best friends. They moved to EL Paso about the same time. I still have the pre-production prototype J2.5 Mr. Weaver gave Grandpa and it is still mounted on Grandpa's low wall winder musket. So by all means stick them Weavers on there and be happy. reflex264
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

reflex264 wrote:Hey 6pt. You probably already know my answer. :mrgreen: While I own a pile of Leupolds old and new my weakness is steel tube Weavers. If they are in goos condition they still get it done. I have a nice collection of them and I am fixin to stick a 1956 model K2.5 on my 1968 444 Marlin in a set of brand new vintage pivot mounts. I also have a set of 3/4" pivots with the Marlin base that I am going to stick a post reticle J2.5 in. Some of you have read my posts before about Grandpa. HE and Bill Weaver were best friends. They moved to EL Paso about the same time. I still have the pre-production prototype J2.5 Mr. Weaver gave Grandpa and it is still mounted on Grandpa's low wall winder musket. So by all means stick them Weavers on there and be happy. reflex264
264 , when I get a chance I will post a picture of my grandfathers old Remington 722 (222 REM) that he bought new in 1958 for the ungodly sum of $85 and on top is the Weaver K10 that was purchased the same day gor $59.95 .

You may ask how I know all this !

When I was cleaning out his gun cabinet after his death , I found the bill of sale for the rifle , scope and bases ! He also still had the Remington manuel that came with the rifle and the factory info that came with the scope !

To the best of my knowledge , other then a 22 scope he only owned 2 scopes in his entire life . The 1958 vintage K10 on the 722 and the K3 we gave him for Xmas back about 1975 , that has been on his Ruger 44R carbine ever since . Well I could be a little wrong as he had a couple 22 Hornets before he bought the 222 and I do not know if they were scoped or not !
morgan in nm
Levergunner 3.0

Post by morgan in nm »

I am not much of a scope person but I have found that it is hard to beat the old weavers. I have a K2.5, K3, K4, and an old 330C that have had more range and hunting time than my leopolds, bushnells, etc. My dad has a K3 mounted on an older Remington 740 that has a cracked objective(you can't see it when your looking through it) and I took a coyote w/headshot @350yds running away from me. The rifle came with that scope when he bought it well used about 12 years ago and he has never adjusted it. The rifle is very dirty underneath the scope and he won't even let me clean it as he is afraid that I might move something. I don't care fore the reticles on the 330c or the K2.5 as I have a hard time seeing them but the others are great.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Here's the Remington 722 in 222 REM caliber with the Weaver K10 on top that my grandfather bought new in 1958 !

As long as I'm alive this one will stay just as you see it !

If you look at the forened you can see where he scratched and or chipped the stock . He used to groundhog and hawk hunt a very very large area and he normally shot from the window in his old Jeep CJ5 that had a metal cab .

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Added pics to post above.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Old Savage wrote: Image
Hmmmm , think I would like some more info on this uhmmm Weaver scope she uhmm it looks like it has nice high beams :lol:
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

This is not the first time Old Savage has slipped in a good looking young lady on us.
So whats your secret O.S.?
Want to let the rest of us in on it?
Well, it was worth a try!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Be friendly. :)

mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

That works?
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

You bet - all ages. But then that is a Porsche not a Weaver - sorry 6pt.

mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

I am humbled,
a FINE looking specimen, indeed
reflex264
Levergunner 1.0

Post by reflex264 »

6pt- love the 722 and old Weaver. I love running up on that sort of thing where they have never been seperated. Thats just plain old cool. reflex264
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

reflex264 wrote:6pt- love the 722 and old Weaver. I love running up on that sort of thing where they have never been seperated. Thats just plain old cool. reflex264
My grandfather used to supplement his income by shooting groundhogs and hawks for bounty here in central Virginia back in the 50's and 60's .

The place he worked was a large horse farm and the woman that owned it hated groudhogs for obviouse reasons , she also kept gamecocks and wanted to see the hawks killed as well ! Matter of fact back then the county I live in paid a 50 cent bounty on hawks as well .

But when he did this the most , the lady paid $5 for hawks and $1 for groundhogs if memory serves . I remmember one summer in the 70's when the groundhogs got kinda thick here and she paid $3.50 per tail . Needless to say we killed quite a few hogs that year and as you might think they were not all killed on that farm :wink:
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

264 , you know I often kick myself !

My grandfathers brother used to hunt grounhogs and hawks with him quite a bit . And he had a Remington 722 in the 244 REM cliber with a Weaver K6 on top , if I'm not mistaken he bought this setup about the same time my grandfather got his .

Anyway my great uncle asked me to sell the setup for him about 18 years ago . He wanted $250 for the whole deal and told me if I wanted it to give him so much a week . At the time I didn't want it , now I often regret that mistake :(
moodyholler
Levergunner 2.0

Post by moodyholler »

6pt, I have a K-6 on my 700 .243, K-10 on my 513T, K3 on my springfield 30 govt, and a drawer of extras in case one goes south. K-6 and K-10 were bought by working in the hayfields when I was 11 and 12 years old respectively. That was 1977 and 1978. I have shot both since then. You will never go wrong with one of them. I have owned Leupolds, Unertyls, Litscherts, Bushnells, and one Nikon currently on my AR. The rest have gone down the road. They are all great scopes, but I like weavers. PS, my 1894 Marlin TD has a G-4 on it in a sidemount. Later moodyholler
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Now THAT is an old scope!
reflex264
Levergunner 1.0

Post by reflex264 »

Here is a pre-war j2.5 post reticle

Brand new K2.5 built for J.C. Higgins (1956)

1946 K4. First production run

1960's C9 Challenger

I will try to remember to take a good pic of the low wall and scope this week.

On another note I score two Leupold M8-3 scopes a few months ago and one of them is in super nice shape. I put one of the M8-3s on my LTD-V 45-70. Match made in Heaven. reflex264
Last edited by reflex264 on Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

[quote="reflex264
On another note I score two Leupold M8-3 scopes a few months ago and one of them is in super nice shape. reflex264[/quote]

I was bidding on a Leupold M8 3x on Ebay and ran it up to $140 before I dropped out :!:
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Reflex - Just looked, my 1895SS has an M7 - 4x on it. Seems perfect to me also.

reflex264
Levergunner 1.0

Post by reflex264 »

Old Savage wrote:Reflex - Just looked, my 1895SS has an M7 - 4x on it. Seems perfect to me also.

M7s are cool as well. very decent optics even without the better coatings that the M8s got. I was bidding on a M7-3 on Ebay and missed it in the last minutes.

The really nice M8-3 I got off Ebay and ended up paying 262.00 + shipping for but it was worth every penny. It is a perfect match for my LTD-V. The other one hadded faded anodizing on the objective end but the optics are perfect. I bought it on a buy it now for 140.00. It is setting on my .416 Rigby. I bought a bunch of fixed power Leupolds and got in them very right. I picked up a M8-4 as well that may go on a .444. Haven't made up my mind yet. reflex264
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Not totally in keeping with this forum , but here it is anyway !

My grandfathers Ruger 44R carbine he recieved Xmas of 75 or 76 from my grandmother and a Weaver K3 that we gave him that same Xmas .

I do not think he ever killed a deer with this rifle . But I do know he killed a couple groundhogs . And I killed a few deer with it back in the mid 80's .

This one shall stay in my possesion for as long as I'm around !
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Reflex - faded like this?? Putting a scope on this rifle makes it shoot like a 12 guage in recoil.

Bluehawk
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bluehawk »

6Pt RIght now Weaver has a nice NEW scope that is about perfect for most levergun solutions . I just bought one my self and it will be going on either my Win 94 legacy or the H&R 30-30- barrel ( have not decided yet )
Its 4.75 x 40 fixed power scope that is nicely compact and light . I had been looking for one for a while finally found one at a local dealer and snatched it up . I had been waiting to see one in person before buying one. Price is below 200
The right way is always the hardest. It's like the law of nature , water always takes the path of least resistence...... That's why we get crooked rivers and crooked men . TR Theodore the Great
TNBigBore
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TNBigBore »

6pt, I have a few old straight tube Weavers myself. They are great scopes and seem to be made for old Marlins. I like the more recent steel tube models with the duplex crosshairs, but like the older fine crosshairs as well. I like the length of the tubes on the Weavers. It gives you a lot of lattitude in mounting the scope to fit your needs. If fact I just bought an older K3 on 24hourcampfire and there is another one still for sale at a good price.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Okies I have four K2.5" bought and paid for and a K3 . ALso am working on another pair of K2.5's .

They are all pretty close to the same but the 60B's seem to look a little better to me !

Those seven should take care of the four 444's , the 45-70 , a 336-44 and a 336SC 30-30 .

Now I think I just might get a pair of K4 60B's for the two 375's .

And I'm thinking K4 60B's just might be the ticket for the two 356's . And a K6 60B for the 219 Zipper .

If I can get thru the old guys I think the next group to deal with will be the XLR's . They will be easy to fix although a little more pricey . I'll use Leupold VX1 3-9's on the whole bunch ! Matter of fact that was what I had on the 336XLR 30-30 when I first purchased it , but the scope has since bounced from gun to gun !