POLITICS - National Open Carry Day

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
ohwin94_61
Levergunner 2.0

POLITICS - National Open Carry Day

Post by ohwin94_61 »

May 30, 2008 coppied from another web site

National Open Carry Day - Friday, July 4, 2008
Back in January in a post about a WalMart manager suddenly afflicted with PSH when he saw a gentleman shopper carrying a Glock, I concluded, "Are we too frightened of "scaring Whitey" to open carry? We have National Ammo Day, and National Buy-a-Gun Day. Do we need a National Open Carry Day or two to help some of these jerks to get over their hoplophobia?"

I can't recall ever making another reference to it, but GBW is the third listing in the Google search for the phrase after PatriotPages.net and Snowflakes in Hell. Go figure.

According to PatriotPages, Friday, July 4th is National Open Carry Day, and the weekend of July 4-6 is National Open Carry Weekend.

There's been a lot of discussion on blogs and boards lately about the efficacy of concealed carry v. open carry. I usually come down on the side of those who say that open carry is a tactical mistake, however, if someone chooses to do so, they should be able to open carry any place they have a right to be. And we certainly should refrain from it just to keep someone's panties from scrunching into a wad.

We are told we frighten people, and so shouldn't let our guns be seen. We are told we are a menacing presence that makes others uncomfortable, including police who should know better. Most folks who regularly read gun blogs will remember ColtCCO's experience with a Knoxville, Tennessee police officer outside a WalMart in the fall of 2007 which resulted in an official apology, reprimands and additional training about carry laws for the entire department.

Perhaps several million responsible, law abiding adults exercising their right to keep and bear arms openly on the day our nation celebrates shaking the tyrant's boot off our neck would have a salutary effect upon the ignorance and immaturity of the general public. Millions might be wishful thinking, but hundreds of thousands is certainly not out of the question.

Even if the public isn't educated, I'm sure a number of police officers would be forced to confront their ignorance. Don't get me wrong, I've nothing against cops per se, only ignorant ones. If you sign up to enforce the law, you should know it.

In Kentucky, the Commonwealth's Constitution disallows most restrictions on bearing arms, indeed includes positive affirmation of "the right to bear arms in defense of themselves..", speaking of the People. In fact, open carry was intended to be the norm in Kentucky, as the the Constitution specifically allows the the General Assembly to prohibit concealed carry of deadly weapons. Apparently in 1891, they didn't give much thought to the tactical advantages of concealed carry.

I wouldn't expect to have much trouble with open carry in most of Kentucky, except perhaps the People's Democratic Republics of Louisville Metro (PDRLM) and Lexington/Fayette County and perhaps in parts of Northern Kentucky. But one can find benighted souls anywhere, and everyone has heard tales of small town cops run amok.

I expect to be in small town America on the Fourth of July and intend to open carry. If I get stuck in PDRLM, I will attend at least two very public outdoor gatherings, and I intend to open carry. Wherever I am, I hope I'm not alone in observing National Open Carry Day.

I think I'll use this occasion as an excuse to buy a new holster for my Glock Model 20. I'm leaning toward the Blackhawk CQC Holster with SARS. It comes with both belt loop and paddle setups. That ought to take care of any retention concerns. I'll let you know what I think of it
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Re: National Open Carry Day

Post by mescalero1 »

I will paticipate.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Unfortunately, open carry is expressly forbidden in South Carolina. :evil:

Fortunately, the Friday and Saturday after Thanksgiving were just granted a "tax-free" days for firearms purchases. You know what I will be doing while my wife is at the mall!!! :D

By the way, I'd recommend to those who do participate that they carry a revolver - perferrably a single-action. This will seem a lot less intimidating to most. The point is to show support to our basic freedoms - not scare people, including LEO's. A single action will make the same statement.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Ysabel Kid wrote:Unfortunately, open carry is expressly forbidden in South Carolina. :evil: ...
Then carry an Empty Holster in Protest.

More stupid Malum Prohibitum imposed on honest folks. :evil:

Open or concealed should be a matter of personal choice, not Government Fiat.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Old Ironsights wrote:
Ysabel Kid wrote:Unfortunately, open carry is expressly forbidden in South Carolina. :evil: ...
Then carry an Empty Holster in Protest.

More stupid Malum Prohibitum imposed on honest folks. :evil:

Open or concealed should be a matter of personal choice, not Government Fiat.
I'd probably get arrested for even having an empty holster over here! :x :evil:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Carry of any kind is prohibited in Illinois. I'm in the same boat as Gamekeeper, I'd probably get busted for an empty holster here too.
I'll support you guys in spirit. Cos, when I do get out of IL, I'd still like to be able to own guns.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Perfectly legal in WA, but around this area, I think open carry is an invitation to have it taken away from you........I don't leave home without my carry piece. BTW, I'm totally in support of anyone who wishes to so do (open carry).....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Re: POLITICS - National Open Carry Day

Post by mescalero1 »

I will be in New Mexico, the great thing about that is
NO ONE WILL NOTICE
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I had an email last week from a James Petrick, Ph.D. Assistant Professor Texas A&M University. Dept. of Recreation, Park & Tourism Sciences.

He asked me to fill in an online survey about a vacation I took in Arizona in 2003. :o

I filled in the survey, saying how much I enjoyed my visit and that I can't wait to visit again etc. I also stated that as an "English" tourist I felt very safe wandering around because of the Open and Concealed carry there. I bet the professor didn't expect a comment like that!! :)
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

game keeper wrote:I had an email last week from a James Petrick, Ph.D. Assistant Professor Texas A&M University. Dept. of Recreation, Park & Tourism Sciences.

He asked me to fill in an online survey about a vacation I took in Arizona in 2003. :o

I filled in the survey, saying how much I enjoyed my visit and that I can't wait to visit again etc. I also stated that as an "English" tourist I felt very safe wandering around because of the Open and Concealed carry there. I bet the professor didn't expect a comment like that!! :)

Good for you John! I'm sure he didn't expect that response. Whether it ever sees the light of day will depend on his views - too few researchers, especially in academia, are unbiased enough to report data that doesn't match their personal beliefs...
gary rice
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gary rice »

this is an interesting topic. dont get me wrong as im very pleased with the latest court decision but wish they had gone farther. they addressed the keeping of arms but not so much the bearing of arms. it would have alot more teeth if they had mandated that bearing arms also is part of the 2nd amendment as it so states, thus open carry etc.
g rice
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

My only concern about wearing an empty holster as a Protest at the Chicago rally is if I run into a sold-out CPD supervisor (most of the beat cops are cool) who decides I need to be made an example of... and has a throwdown that matches my holster. :evil:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!