OT - "can't reload Speer bullets with Lee dies?"

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

OT - "can't reload Speer bullets with Lee dies?"

Post by AJMD429 »

I just noted on Midway's site that there is a disclaimer for Lee .50 Beowulf dies that says:

"Speer bullets are not for use with Lee dies, per Speer"

Anyone know what the deal is...?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Don McDowell

Re: OT - "can't reload Speer bullets with Lee dies?"

Post by Don McDowell »

Mostly Lee and Speer got into quite a spat over the factory crimp die and its uses. Speer said the thing could ruin bullets and raise pressures to dangerous levels, Lee said speer made junk bullets. Probably no end to that fight. :o
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Lee and Speer got into a peeing contest once upon a time. From what I understand because Speer did some testing and noted that loads using the Lee factory crimp die, when crimped in a location other than a cannelure, displayed diminished accuracy due to the deformation of the bullet. So Speer did not recommend the use of the FCD and now Lee says that their dies are not for use with Speer bullets. :roll:
NRA Life Member
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

A hissy-fit between gun-related companies?!? Must we feminize everything?!? :evil:
oldmax
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldmax »

hissy-fit :lol:
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

I use/reload Speer bullets (240gr SP) for some of my .444 Marlin rounds with no problems and I use the Lee Factory Crimp Die (great die) for those rounds. I mostly use RCBS dies but I do use Lee dies about 25% of the time.

Lots of hissy fits between not only Lee and Speer but also Lee and most of the other die makers too.
ED
Yer never too old
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

Modoc ED wrote:Lots of hissy fits between not only Lee and Speer but also Lee and most of the other die makers too.
That's my impression, too. I don't have a lot of respect for Lee, as a result.

Doesn't Lee also claim that their hand-priming tool is not for use with another one of the ATK company's primers (CCI or Federal?) due to a similar wadding of the panties over some innocuous perceived offense???

scott
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

RSY wrote:
Modoc ED wrote:Lots of hissy fits between not only Lee and Speer but also Lee and most of the other die makers too.
That's my impression, too. I don't have a lot of respect for Lee, as a result.

Doesn't Lee also claim that their hand-priming tool is not for use with another one of the ATK company's primers (CCI or Federal?) due to a similar wadding of the panties over some innocuous perceived offense???

scott
Federal Primers. They tend to be soft (others besides Lee have said that too) and have a greater chance of detonation in Lee's equipment than other brands.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I've loaded Speer 300gr jacketed bullets from my Lee Deluxe 4 Die .45 Colt set with perfectly good results. There is NO genuine valid reason not to use Speer products in Lee dies.

I've also loaded thousands of Federal primers in Lee hand tools. The problem with Federal primers is not the softness of the cup, but the yellowish powder that seems to come from them. If this deposit is left to build up I'm sure it can become a problem. I just keep my tools clean and don't worry about it.
Remember, it takes a sudden solid crushing blow to detonate a primer. A slow deforming action such as seating one sideways may, but usually does not detonate them. Been there, done that more than once. Mater of fact I had one flip sideways and seated it. Then I unseated it, put it back in the priming tool and reseated it properly, and it didn't detonate. I didn't load the round, but when I chambered the case the primer fired normally.

Lee is a prissy little company that has come up with some good products, but I take everything they say with a grain ( 5# bag ) of salt.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Tumbleweeds
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Tumbleweeds »

Speer is hand and glove with RCBS too, or used to be. My old Speer manual specifies RCBS for everything, and contains photos of the founders of both companies.

Nothing against Speer or RCBS, but Lee isn't part of their in crowd.
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

Tumbleweeds wrote:Speer is hand and glove with RCBS too, or used to be. My old Speer manual specifies RCBS for everything, and contains photos of the founders of both companies.

I wouldn't say it's a crowd, just a related group of companies. It's the group that was long owned by Blount until a few years ago and is now owned by Alliant/ATK. I may leave some out, but it includes:

RCBS
Speer
Federal
CCI
Weaver
Simmons
Redfield
Outers
Ram-Line
Estate Cartridge
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

I reload 50 Beowulf, WITH Speer Bullets, IN Lee dies no problem. Just let me know if you want the load.
SASS#43836
Ain't easy havin' pals.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Thanks for all the great and informative replies, guys! (smart bunch, aren't we... 8) )
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Tumbleweeds wrote:Speer is hand and glove with RCBS too, or used to be. My old Speer manual specifies RCBS for everything, and contains photos of the founders of both companies.

Vernon Speer, Fred Huntington and others where all together in the start up of Speer, RCBS, and CCI, so yeah they are "hand in glove" always have been and most likely will be. :D
oldmax
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldmax »

I've also loaded thousands of Federal primers in Lee hand tools
I've loaded Speer 300gr jacketed bullets from my Lee Deluxe 4 Die .45 Colt set with perfectly good results
Guilty as Charged!!
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Loaded quite a few Speer bullets using Lee dies....never had a problem. Even talked to John Lee about it, said there wasn't much from his side, just a lot of BS from the other. RCBS and Speer, along with the whole ATK thing is a concerted marketing ploy similar to how GM packaged themselves...my experience comes from ATK being one of my biggest customers. If they bought up Lee, all of a sudden Lee would be the most innovated, best products around....of course ATK would triple the price and use cheaper materials.
Mike S.
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Mike S. »

I've seen the Lee/Speer disclaimer before, but it just occurred to me that I reload Speer bullets for my 25-20 with Lee dies & have never had any problem.

Mike
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

Hang on guys--- I have a box of Speer 30 caliber 180 grand slam bullets that stick terribly in Lee dies. If I use RCBS dies in another caliber --they work fine. I called Lee when I stuck one badly and could not get it out. Lee sent me a new die and told me that the shape of that particular bullet would consistantly jam in the die. So, in at least a single incident, the speer bullet is shaped in a way that it jams in the die.