New to me 3.5" Vaquero in 45 Colt - UPDATE Range Report

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

New to me 3.5" Vaquero in 45 Colt - UPDATE Range Report

Post by Noah Zark »

After enjoying the 3" USFA Rodeo Storekeeper with Ejector for the past two months, yesterday I couldn't resist this used but hardly fired 3.5" Vaquero in 45 Colt. Only blemish on it was a touch of fluffly rust in the rear sight recess below the notch. It wiped right out and I expect the liberal shot of Corrosion-X will prevent it from coming back. Bore is clean and bright and the rifling is sharp. Chambers are clean, too. Case colors on the frame are gorgeous, and the pic doesn't do the gun justice.

The trigger pull is virtually creepless and very crisp. A little heavier than that of my 3" USFA Storekeeper, but not by much.

UPDATE -- RANGE REPORT: Had to work Saturday reprogramming a Motoman robot for a client, but after church on Sunday I headed for the range in between downpours. Sure enough, I get the Subie unloaded and the guncases on the bench and it cuts loose with another gullywasher. Forunately the benches are under substantial roofing. It rains for 10 mins, but about halfway through the shower an elderly gent from several benches down walks up and inquires what I have to shoot. I told him "a few 45 handguns and an M1 Rifle." That's all it took to prime his pump. I racked the op rod so that it latched back and handed him the M1, and then I listented politely for the next 45 minutes to stories of his exploits in the post-Korea US Army where he fired and carried an M1 Rifle, his boot camp experiences, MOS training, favorite Army ancedotes, the proper way to dig a foxhole with an effective grenade trap, etc, etc. Twice I tried to give him a full 8-rd clip but he wouldn't shoot. Finally his grandson ran out of .22 ammo and they left. I had 10 mins left before needing to be at my next stop, and my next stop was a seven minute drive from the range.

Now that the backstory is out of the way, I put ten rounds through the 3.5" Vaq at 25 yds, firing at a dark spot on the berm since there was no time to set targets or claybirds on edge. The rounds were 6 gr of Titegroup under a Berrys 230 copper-plated RNFMJ intended for the 45ACP. I find they shoot just as well from newer 45 Colt barrels. With the exception of one flyer that I pulled to the right, all ten shots pretty much hit the dark spot, which became a large depression in the wet earth. The Ruger Vaq shoots almost as well as the USFA Rodeo Storekeeper does with the same reloads. They are both keepers.

I wish the Ruger had the Colt lockwork; I keep trying to cock the Ruger halfway in order to load or empty it, then remember that I merely have to flip open the gate. I like all them clicks the Colt makes, too. BUT, OTOH the Ruger can be carried with 6 in the wheel . . .

Noah
Last edited by Noah Zark on Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Re: New to me 3.5" Ruger Vaquero in 45 Colt

Post by rjohns94 »

nice collection of 45lc you are developoing with the USFA, The scholfield and now this one. Well done. Very nice. :D
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE!

Other 45 Colt handguns in the stable:

Two 4-5/8" Uberti Cattlemans (Cattlemen?) in 45C/45ACP
4" S&W 625 Mountain Gun
6" S&W 25-5

Seriously, thanks for the comment! The 4-5/8" barrel has always been my favorite in a Colt SA or clone, but the 3" or 3-1/2" length is starting to edge the 4-5/8" out. That 3" USFA is AMAZING. Most any trip to the range and I'm busting 5/5 claybirds standing on edge on the 25 yd berm with it, time and again. If I don't hit what I'm aiming at with that USFA out to 40 yds or so, I'm not doing my part.

Noah
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Real Nice, only I've turned GREEN again! :mrgreen:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Really nice Noah. Seems you've really gotten bitten by the 45 Colt bug. I feel your pain. I have it too. Love the 45 Colt cartridge and the guns made to fire them.
Old Law Dawg
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Very cool! 8) Looking forward to reading how this one shoots!!! :D
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

Nice selection, Noah. Right now I've got a USFA ordered which should be here "3 to 4 weeks". I can hardly wait! It'll sport a 7 1/2" barrel.
Freedom Arms has a nifty one available as a custom order only item, I believe. It's their Model 97 with a 3 1/2" bbl, fixed sights and rounded butt. There was a feature article on this one by Brian Pearce(spelling?) in I believe RIFLE Magazine a couple years ago.
don Tomás
Levergunner 3.0

Post by don Tomás »

Image Image Image
That's great Noah. Been looking for something similar for a quite a while (Ruger Vaquero Montado?) but haven't found anything that don't require me mortgaging the farm. If I'm not being too tactless, can you give me a hint at the price range? Oh, the trigger pull: I bet Jeff Quinn's Poor Boy's Trigger Job settles it right down. Only took 30 seconds and sure did the trick on my NM Vaqueros (.45 & .357).
Tom
Tom

'A Man's got to have a code...
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."

-John Bernard Books. Jan. 22, 1901
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

Don Tomas: I think Davidson's has those new Rugers you mentioned.
Nazgul
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Nazgul »

Nice gun!

I have a Ruger Montado, with 3.75" barrel. It is very nice, handy size, my current favorite. Not a stranger to the 45Colt, have S&W 25-5 4"', Mountain Gun, old model Vaquero 5.5", and a Winchester 94 Legay 24" barrel.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

That's a beauty, congrats. :mrgreen:

That just reminded me again that I am currently with out a single 45 Colt. Had three at one time, but they all got sold or traded. I need to fix that.
NRA Life Member
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

don Tomás wrote: If I'm not being too tactless, can you give me a hint at the price range?
Dunno about new, I'd guess around $485 to $525 but that's a guess. This one was $350 OTD, had been tagged at $399 but most the other guns in the case were "SALE!" tagged except this and another. So I asked if the "SALE!" applied to the Ruger. Clerk said yeah, got the calculator and said $339. I said make it $350 OTD and we have a deal. So he did.

Oh, the trigger pull: I bet Jeff Quinn's Poor Boy's Trigger Job settles it right down. Only took 30 seconds and sure did the trick on my NM Vaqueros (.45 & .357). Tom
Thanks for the tip; I've used that technique over the past 25-30 years with some decent results. It also finds hammer push-off problems, too.

Noah
hobbyguymaine
Levergunner

Post by hobbyguymaine »

kaschi wrote:Nice selection, Noah. Right now I've got a USFA ordered which should be here "3 to 4 weeks". I can hardly wait! It'll sport a 7 1/2" barrel.
Freedom Arms has a nifty one available as a custom order only item, I believe. It's their Model 97 with a 3 1/2" bbl, fixed sights and rounded butt. There was a feature article on this one by Brian Pearce(spelling?) in I believe RIFLE Magazine a couple years ago.
About a year ago (after a lot of soul-searching and financial debating!) I ordered one of those FA97 "Brian Pearce" specials, based on the fact that it was apparently the ultimate concealable 45 Colt single action. I sold my 3-screw 4-5/8" Ruger 45 Colt to help offset the (for me, once in a lifetime) $2,000- purchase price, reasoning that my new stainless steel 5-shot small cyl. w/traditional single action works replacement would readily digest the same hot handloads.
Well, it concealed nearly as well as my 2" Ruger SP101 .357, was beautifully crafted, shot well with Win 225gr. HP loads but I never got to try it with 280-300gr. handloads, as it beat up my middle knuckle so badly I ended up selling it! My only advice is: shoot a FA97 before ordering one! I tried building up the grips, debated welding up and modifying the gripframe, but finally and regretfully ended up selling it. I lost $500+ on it which was about what my new Ruger "Montado" Vaquero cost! The new Ruger conceals nearly as well and is a nice gun. I guess I'm finally accepting change and Ruger's redesign of single actions, though I do miss the FA97's adj. sights and smaller dia. cyl. My only advice is: shoot a FA97 before ordering one!

Good Luck, Joe
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

You've GOTTA get one with the Birdshead grips! I hardly carry anything else, these days.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
Meeteetse
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Meeteetse »

Had my 3.5" Vaquero for several years now. Picked it up the first year they came out. No idea when that was exactly, must be getting old. One of the best SA revolvers I have ever owned at least from the standpoint of being fun, easy to shoot and easier to carry than a full sized Vaquero.

I have enjoyed several 45 Colt guns over the years, mostly Ruger SA types. Started with two Blackhawk convertibles I picked up back in the 70's. I've since add a S&W 25 and a S&W Mtn Gun. 45 Colt is a great caliber.
All it takes for tyranny to succeed is for good men to do nothing.

Previous member of Mr. Kelly's forum.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Love those .45 Colts! Got 3 now and plans for more including the USFA Storekeeper and a real Colt!
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Re: New to me 3.5" Vaquero in 45 Colt - UPDATE Range Report

Post by Noah Zark »

NOW WITH A RANGE REPORT -- see original post.

Thanks for the comments!

Noah
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Great first range report on this one - looks like it has all kinds of promise. Nice of you to talk with that veteran too - even though it ate into your limited range time.

I love all the Colt or Ruger Old Model "clicks" and the loading stop/position on the hammer. Worth it to me to have one less round in the cylinder. Still, I wouldn't turn down a newer Ruger at a good price!!! :D

Congrats Noah!!! 8)
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

When I do a free spin pawl, it no longer clicks. I like it thataway.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Nice report....
I love listening to the old timers and their stories...
I need one of those vaqueros!
I think i want one with a 5 1/2" barrel...
I hear they are just about indestructable!
Lead Dispencer, a SASS shooter, has a 100000
rounds though his...and replaced only 2 springs!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS