B. Dixon Ultra Long Range Event Report

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

B. Dixon Ultra Long Range Event Report

Post by CowboyTutt »

The event report can be read here!

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... f=1&t=8936

Many of you have read my article on the Friends of Billy Dixon Long Range Shooting Facility. Please be advised that the range is now open, and the website is:

http://www.friendsofbillydixon.org

If you wish to visit the range, please call David Torkelson at 970 527-3881.

Stengel's Gun Shop can be reached at 970 872-3748.

I have changed the event date to accommodate more people. It is now Saturday and Sunday July 26th and 27th. There will also be a few Shootists present both days. The amount of expertise that will be available will be extraordinary. I am really looking forward to trying out some new "heavy bullet" loads in my Mauser at 1500 yards! I highly recommend anyone in adjacent states to Colorado try to make it. My friends and I will be coming out from California. It is well worth the trip!

Please see the article below for more information on the range facilities:

Hello guys. While on my spring break visiting such neat places as Dead Horse State Park, Arches National Park and Canyonlands National Park in Utah (which I will write about in another thread) I had the opportunity to visit someplace truly special to us old world firearm enthusiasts. My best friend Tym and I were able to visit the Friends of Billy Dixon Ultra Long Range Shooting Facility located at Stengel's Gun Shop in Hotchkiss , Colorado . This is a facility that is still under construction with many more improvements planned. It reportedly is the only place in the country where you can shoot out to metal targets at a distance of 1500+ yards! The group of individuals who started this idea were founded in 2005 to honor the memory of buffalo hunter William "Billy" Dixon who ended the siege at Adobe Walls, Texas by firing a single shot out of his "Big Fifty" Sharps rifle that hit one of a group of 15 Indian Warriors at a range later surveyed to be 1538 yards, thus ending their planned attack. The friends of Billy Dixon include Mic McPherson, David Torkelson and R.W. Boyle (all Shootists) to name a few. The creation of the FoBD Range would not have been possible without the very generous help of Mr. Gerhart Stengel, who owns the land the new range is built upon next to his existing range which has been around since 1967 (and hopes to be around for many more years).

When I found out about the range being open, I wasted no time in planning a way to incorporate a visit there as part of my Spring Break vacation to Utah with my old buddy Tym, who has been my good friend for 8 years, and is the one responsible for my introduction to firearms. As it turned out, and totally unbeknowest to me in the planning phase, Tym and I are the first people from the "general public" to shoot at the range. The targets were first put up last summer, and except for a few friends of the FoBD family, no one had shot them yet. Tym and I were both very honored to be the first to use this great new facility which is still in the works. Tym also took almost all the pictures as my own digital camera died just before the trip, and I thank him for the use of all his photos.

Some of the following pictures tell you much about the facility, and I will let them speak for themselves, but the range is set up with shooting berms at 100, 200, 300, 500, 600, 1000 and 1500+change yards. David Torkelson met us there at 830 am on a cold but clear Friday morning (it was 20 degrees the previous night) to get us oriented to the range. This orientation is not only necessary for safety, but also worth every penny as it will save you a fortune in wasted ammo. The only way to play this game is start up close, and work your way out to the 1500 yard line in increments. No belted magnums or ultra high velocity cartridges need apply as they will tear up the targets. Also bear in mind that most of these high velocity cartridges may be capable of 1000 yards, but will probably not be stable at 1500 yards as the light bullets tumble as they approach the trans-sonic and subsonic barrier. If you remember the movie "The Right Stuff" with Chuck Yeager breaking the sound barrier in the different "X" planes, and the incredible turbulence just before going supersonic, you will begin to understand. It takes a very heavy bullet to withstand those forces. Pure lead bullets can be used on any target, but high velocity cartridges up to about 30-06 can only be used on the diamonds until 1000 yards, then it is OK to shoot at the calibrated gongs.

The "Weather Gods" in Colorado were extremely kind to us for the days previous and the actual day of our shooting. If it had rained previously, the ground is too damp to get a good puff of dirt to recognize where your shots went. If it was windy, as it can be in the afternoon in Hotchkiss, then your accuracy involves as much chance as skill. It was sunny and clear with no wind in the morning with some cloud cover rolling in later in the afternoon, with only an occasional breeze. It was quite literally, a PERFECT day for shooting, a surprising thing considering the early time of year. This is an all day event by the way guys, so plan accordingly.

Here is a photo of David Torkelson and one of the artistic metal targets he created to show some scale.

The rifles in use were my beloved "Old Thirty One Twenty" model 71/84 Mauser in 11mm (43 Mauser) shooting a 400 grain bullet at just under 1400 fps. These loaded cartridges were given to me by my very good friend, "Professor Loudenboomer", until my own cases would arrive (they were on back-order) and they shoot very well. Tym predominantly used his Springfield M1A in 308 Win, but also his FAL in 308 (both with 1981 milled surplus ammo). We also did some work with his Legacy Arms Model '92 Carbine in 454 Casull (16" barrel).

We started at the 200 yard line. Tym shot and hit the small diamond (the smallest target at this range) with his M1A and FAL in 308. I shot it with my Mauser from sitting and off-shoulder. I found the factory battle sight worked perfectly at its 200 m setting and a center of mass sight picture. You can see the small diamond to the left of the big gong.

At 300 yards, we started to use some optics (no scopes on the rifles, this day was all done with iron sights) to see our shots. Tym still shot the small diamond with his M1A from sitting. I began by shooting the large gong (the sound is so cool!), then the small gong, then the small diamond using the flip-up 300 m battle sight. It was dead on. I was surprised when I was able to hit the small diamond at this range off-shoulder. In fact, I walked back to my ammo and gear to get some things, and upon returning to the berm, I found myself wondering, "Did I really hit that? It looks so small". So, I shot at it again off-shoulder, and again made the hit. I was pretty happy, to say the least.

After Tym returned from an errand to camp, we broke out the 454 Puma at this range. It was zero'd for 100 yards, but I found if you held over the front bead "Elmer Keith" style, both of us were able to hit the small gong from sitting. The 454 Puma's are a lot of fun, but they do need a better recoil pad than the factory offering.

At the 500 yard line, we had to rely heavily on our optics, one of us using the binoculars to help the other spot the hits and misses. Tym was becoming very enamored with his M1A as all the factory settings were proving to be pretty accurate for that range. He was able to shoot the large diamond (5’ across) on the right from sitting (the small 3’ diamonds appear extremely small at this distance). I was able to hit the large gong from sitting and off-hand using the 450 m setting of the flip-up ladder bar sight.

Things became more difficult at the 600 yard line. Tym was able to hit the large diamond sitting and off-hand on his last shot on the line (nice shot, Tym!), but it took more experimenting with the sight settings. Eventually, setting the sights for 650 yards seemed to be the ticket. It took more bullets than it had before for me to hit the targets as well, and it seemed the bullets were dropping fast at this point. I hit the large gong from sitting and setting the ladder bar sight at 550 meters. I also shot at the 9 ft tall Grizzly Bear target and managed to hit him in the belly button. I was happy with that. :D

We decided to take a break at this point, and go see Mr. Stengel's Gun Shop. David said he was a "lovable old man", and he turned out to be just that. We both really liked him. He also had a mischievous side, and he told us some good stories. His shop is more like someone’s garage, but a very organized one. I really enjoyed poking around, and finding all sorts of gems in there, from firearms to ammo. But the day was waning, and it was time to get back to shooting.

We lined up again, this time at the 1000 yard berm, which is almost six tenths of a mile away from the targets. Tym was eventually able to hit the large gong from sitting using a setting of 800 yards (things don't always work like they are supposed to at these extreme ranges). Keep in mind again that all his ammo was military surplus. Once the M1A was sighted in, he passed it to me, and I was also able to hit the large gong from sitting. These guns are extremely accurate, and I came away pretty impressed. Tym really didn't think he would be able to hit the 1000 yard targets because of the shorter 18 1/2 barrel of his model, so he was thrilled to see that it could.

At this range, "Old Thirty One Twenty" became very awkward to use. The rear sight was set for 900 meters, and was so high I had no cheek weld at all. My face was at least two inches above the stock. The stock also had to rest more by my collar bone. It just felt very unnatural. I tried sitting, prone, and eventually used the line’s lateral limit markers (wire-bound river rock) as an impromptu field rest. I also changed to a six o'clock hold at this range. I was able to make this last position work, and with Tym's help on optics, I hit the large gong one time for sure, and we're pretty sure a second time.

OK, 1500 yards. That's point eight fifths (.85) of a mile. The targets that were so large standing next to them, are like the size of specs of dust on the lens of your optics. Tym was not interested in shooting at this range, but agreed to help me try. I only had 12 rounds of ammo left. I decided to use a concrete structure as a rest with a rifle pad we bought along. It was like shooting off a low wall, which was very appropriate as I believe Billy Dixon's famous shot was also from a wall. I still had no cheek weld, but the butt stock fit more securely down into my chest area at this point as the sights were set at 1350 meters. Tym said it looked more like I was shooting a rifle grenade! However, even with optics, we couldn't see where the bullets were hitting at that range. I had no reference point to adjust my aim or sights. Something was wrong. Tym eventually volunteered to drive out there and take a position behind a bunker with a radio so he could communicate to me where the shots were actually going. Once he was out there, he said he could hear the bullet pass over head, but not see the hit. He said he thought it was clearing the entire hillside (flying the hill). I was aghast. Up until this point, the conversion from meters to yards and the factory iron sights had been very accurate. Now, instead of hitting low, it was hitting way to high! I had 3 shots left, and backed down to 1100 meters on the sights. Adjusting my sight picture, I eventually hit about 20' low in front of the Grizzly Bear. It was unfortunate that at this point, I ran out of ammo. Darn.

Thankfully, I followed David's advice, and kept a "brain book" of all the loads and settings I used that day. Next time, I will know to pick-up where I left off, and try setting the sights at 1150 meters using a six o'clock hold.

Here are some pics of the targets after we shot them. You can see the new navel I gave the bear at 600 yards, and the way Tym "peppered" the diamond.

Tym and I are in agreement that not only did we have an absolute blast shooting, meeting Mr. Stengel and hanging out in his shop, but we are both better shooters for the experience. We both know our rifles far better than we did before, at ranges from 200-1000+ yards. You can hardly put a value on that. I'm also still working with Prof. 'Boomer and Mic McPherson to develop a 43 Mauser load using a heavier bullet for the extreme range stuff and we are continuing our experiments using a 485 grain and 540 grain bullet to see which will work better. On my next trip to the FoBD Ultra Long Range , I hope to have some new proven loads to try at these extreme ranges, and see how they shoot.

As to the future of the range, Mr. Stengel has plans to pass it on to his son after him, and plans beyond that as well. As he has donated his property as a State Nature Conserve, he means it to be around for a very long time.

By the way, he has a lot of rare, hard to find, obsolete factory ammo in his shop in new condition. He doesn't take credit cards, but will sometimes ship stuff out. I won't quote the prices I saw, but some were so low that even Ganjiro would buy them. :lol: Stengel's Gun Shop can be reached at 970 872-3748. If you wish to visit the range, please call David Torkelson at 970 527-3881. Its worth the trip, believe me.

-Text by Andy Tuttle
-Photos and Editing by Tym Hurst
Last edited by CowboyTutt on Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:22 pm, edited 12 times in total.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Again, a great report Andy. You tryly made it a place I'd like visit w/my Sharps. I've only shot it out to 800m, @ Raton on a 12ft standing Grizzy Harold I. ('cause I can't 'member how to spell his last name) made & brought out from CA in '94.

Coongrats on some darn impressive shootin'!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Thanks for the report Tutt!! Hard to beat long range plinking..Especially at a place custom made for it.. So you were using BP loads ..Right? If so , How do you manage the fouling? Blow tubing..Wiping?
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Wow,nice post :D !I guess a picture is worth a thousand "yards" :lol: !
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Ah, Andy - one of your best yet. I see why you didn't spill the beans on the phone the other night! :D You are truly a long range rifleman now. :!:
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Jaguarundi wrote:Wow,nice post :D !I guess a picture is worth a thousand "yards" :lol: !
+1
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Kismet
Levergunner 2.0
Location: New Hampshire (wishing I could move back West, darn women)

Post by Kismet »

Great post Andy. I just wish the snow up here would melt so that I could get out to the range at all!

Michael in NH
"The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." -- John Steinbeck
Marlin .35
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Marlin .35 »

This a fantastic report!!!! Great pictures!!!!! What a ball that must have been. And who says you need a 300 Mag or bigger with a 32X scope to do this!! Love this report!!!! Thanks for posting!!! Art
Dead Calm is alive and well!!!!!!!
The Lewis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by The Lewis »

Thanks for the exquisite report, Mr. Tutt. What fun!
Molon Labe
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Tutt -

I am sooooooo jealous! What a great day and a fantastic post!!! :D Thanks for sharing!!! :D :D :D
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Tutt that is awesome I had been looking forward to this report.
Makes me want to take my enfield out to the BLM spot I told you about and GPS my self a 1500 yard range. :D
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Looks like a lot of fun.

8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

GREAT READ!!! Man, I would love to give that a try with my EMF 1874 Sharps.
SASS#43836
Ain't easy havin' pals.
Camp Cook
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Camp Cook »

"WOW" awesome read Andy...

You now have made me start dreaming of doing some long range shooting as well.

Thanks for sending me the link...
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Great post....
What an awesome range...Wow!
great pisc TOO!
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

I'd have a permanent grin after a day like that.
Thanks for sharing.
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Hey guys, glad you are enjoying the review. I have to say, I'm still grinning, and trying to figure out when I can get back there!

I was using smokeless powder loads, by the way. Prof. 'Boomer and myself don't really want to deal with black powder.

The Friends of Billy Dixon now have the beginnings of a website up. I'm tring to arrange a reciprocal agreement between Leverguns and FoBD for links.

Anyhow, here is the link to Friends of Billy Dixon:

http://friendsofbillydixon.org/

You may also email R.W. "Doc Holliday" Boyle, one of the charter FoBD, at:

doc@friendsofbillydixon.org

-Tutt
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I love the Western slope as that is where I spent a lot of time visiting relatives as a kid. Looks like you had a great time out there. Maybe we here at leverguns.com can get a group together for a road trip to the range sometime.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Piller, its so funny you should stay that. I'm already contacting people to see if they might be interested in doing so. So far, I think there will be two of us, and maybe 4 driving out from CA. I'm planning on July or August. I'm going to do a little more research on it, then will eventually post a thread on it. Hopefully, I can get them to make it a sticky again.

-Tutt
MikeNV
Levergunner 1.0

Post by MikeNV »

Wow, Thanks for sharing... looks like you had an awsome time. Dusting off the Browning 1885 to go have some fun next weekend.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

MikeNV, the 1885 HiWall is one of my favorites, and would probably be my choice (in 50-90) even over a Sharps '74. I hope you will bring a camera and share your experiences after you "dust her off"!

-Tutt
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Billy Dixon Ultra Long Range Event July 26-27th! Update 6/22

Post by CowboyTutt »

Just a quick update. All signs are "go" for the event as scheduled. It looks like it will be myself, my friend Tym, and the following Shootists: "Professor Loundenboomer", Mic McPherson, David Torkelson, and hopefully R.W. Boyle. Our own Griff with be there and maybe El Mac. A nice comfortable group so we will have good shooting opportunities!

I finally worked on loading up the experimental heavy bullet loads for my Mauser yesterday. There were problems along the way. The Lee dies that were loaned to me worked fairly well, but one time the neck-sizer stuck in a case badly. It was difficult to remove, and I do not care for the Lee retaining system. After that, I lubed the inside of the case necks with graphite as well as the Dillon case lube I was already using on the outside. No problems then.

Then the unusual case rim would not fit in my RCBS hand priming tool. I was able to tinker the tool to make it work. The Lee dies have one thing going for them, and its that they use a taper crimp instead of the roll crimp of the other die manufactures. This cartridge does not like crimps and it really destroys the accuracy. A light taper crimp is all that is needed.

I loaded up the 485 grain bullets seated out as far out as they would go and still fit the action to place the bullets against the rifling for the best accuracy. This is fine for the 20-1 lead bullets. These loads chrono'd at 1150 fps before, which was actually faster than we wanted. So I did some basic calculations and reduced the load to what should give the sub-sonic 1050 fps we want to avoid transonic turbulence. It may not make a difference with round nose bullets, but SWC and WFN bullets are pretty sensitive according to Mic.

Mic designed these loads using Blue Dot, which has a burn rate just slightly faster than 2400 and burns easily and cleanly.

I also have some 540 grain bullets to load, but I'm pretty sure they are too long and heavy to stabilize.

Anyhow, I'm headed down to SoCal Monday night and will be shooting these with Prof. Boomer in the next week or so. I will report back on how they did!

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Re: B. Dixon Ultra Long Range Event July 26-27th Update 6/22/08

Post by Paladin »

The range is impressive, as for the FAL and M1A there is a reason there were 1000 yard matches on military bases. But the steel targets would make it a lot more fun than shooting paper with no time in the pits.
It is not the critic who counts
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Copying my other post over here.

Hello fellas. I thought I would update you on the further results of my experimental loads in “Old Thirty One Twenty”; my 120 year old 71/84 Mauser. I have been working with Mic McPherson and “Professor Loudenboomer”, also known as the Varminator, to develop a heavy bullet load for extreme range shooting in preparation for my next trip to the Billy Dixon Ultra Long Range Facility in Hotchkiss, CO. For the background of the facility, see the post under announcements. By the way, I’m working on an old computer in SoCal with a modem-connection to the internet, so it’s much harder to write and post stuff here.

Last I wrote we had tried out Mic’s proposed loads using Blue Dot, and bullets in 485 grain and 540 grain weights. At that time, 5 shot strings with each load through a chronograph looked very promising and velocities were where Mic predicted they would be at 1150 fps for the 485 grain bullet and 1050 fps for the 540 grain bullets.

Thus, I went home and loaded up more of them myself (the initial loads were made by the Professor). I was using Lee dies in 43 Mauser that were on loan to me, but I decided to slightly shorten the COL as the original loads were difficult to chamber and close the bolt on my rifle. I used a CCI BR-2 primer with the 485 grain bullet loads, and a CCI LP primer, as per Mic’s recommendation, with the 540 grain bullet loads.

The set-up was two paper targets, one on top of the other, at 100 yards while running the bullets through my chronograph. I set it up this way as I had really no idea where impact would be for point of aim. The standard load of a 385 grain bullet at 1400 fps tends to hit about 10 inches high using the shortest 200 meter battle sight. I figured it would hit lower than that, but really couldn’t know.

As it turned out, the 485 grain bullets are very well regulated to 100 yards and shot about 3 inches high. Much better for short range work than the 385 grain bullets. At two hundred yards, I could hit the pig from a sitting position at will, but required the 300 meter battle sight. Here is the initial top target as I tried to find a reference point for point of aim.

You can see it took a few shots. After I saw where they were hitting, and found my reference point which turned out to be a perfect 6 o’clock hold on the bottom of the black part of the target, I was able to achieve the following with a front bag rest only. In retrospect, I would have done better if I had decided to use a rear bag as well.

Here’s me at the bench:

The 540 grain bullets also shot well but shot higher than the 485 grain bullets. They also had a similar horizontal stringing but consistent vertical height once I had my reference point. I did not take a picture of that target at the time, but will do so and post it later.

OK, the next part you are not going to believe, and I don’t blame you guys. Heck, I don’t believe it myself. To make a long story short, an 11 shot string with the 485 grain loads as measured by my chronograph had an extreme spread of 17 fps and a SD of 5. That isn’t a misprint. Five! The only caveat is that I was tipping the barrel almost vertical as I loaded each cartridge and would gently settle the barrel into the rest. This makes for more consistent powder positioning in the case. I was also firing it in single-shot mode, and did not use the tubular magazine.

Using the same procedure with an 11 shot string and the 540 grain loads and CCI pistol primer instead of the CCI BR-2 yielded an extreme spread of 12 fps and a SD of 3. That’s THREE! I will come back later with the exact string data if someone wants, but that won’t prove anything. Suffice to say it happened in front of witnesses and the data is still in my chrono.

To say that Mic is a genius is an understatement!

I have to think that a load based on Blue Dot and a CCI pistol primer in a 45-70 might be a very good load. It has a burn rate a little faster than 2400.

On the down-side, some of my loads would not chamber and it seemed to be that the case was too wide just above the head. After we returned to Jim’s home, we measured the case heads of what I had loaded with the Lee dies, and what they are using his RCBS dies. It turned out that the Lee dies were not forming the base of the case at all, and leaving the virgin brass oversized at times. I have some new RCBS dies that were awaiting me here in SoCal, and will be using them next time. I don’t think we will be using the Lee Full Length sizing die again, or recommending them in the future. However, their bullet seating die uses a taper-crimp which is much preferable for accuracy to the standard roll-crimp that other dies use, so I will be using the Lee die for bullet crimping in a separate function.

Mic has asked me to make more cartridges using both bullets so he can shoot them himself at the Billy Dixon range where he will be joining us. We are hoping that one of them will be a very good ultra long range bullet.

Finally, I have to say that Professor Loudenboomer is a crack shot shooting a 38 Special snubby revolver off-hand at an approximately 12” x 8” sized rock at 200 yards. He could pretty much hit that rock 2 out of 5 times (it’s a 5 shot revolver) every time! He was teaching a few of the range employees to do the same as well as some other range customers. It was neat to see him handle the crowd as always. The man’s good will and generosity towards others is always something to see.

So, that’s the latest for right now. The Billy Dixon Shoot is on schedule for July 26-27th in Hotchkiss, CO and I hope to see Griff and maybe El Mac there.

As always, thanks for listening.

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

For what it is worth, I found those benches MUCH harder to shoot off than the ones at A Place to Shoot.

Just bought a some 375 Win Loading stuff on line - 1886 - 140 220s and Redding dies and expander.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

O.S., I can't say which is place was more comfortable bench-wise, but I did not feel at a disadvantage at Angeles and they have more steel targets I think. I will experiment more with different holds and bags next time.

Glad to hear about your new supplies. Please keep me informed on what you do with them! Redding dies are top notch.

-Tutt

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

If what you are doing there seemed comfortable I almost guarantee better results with a better position.

rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Great post and thread. I look forward to the report from the next shoot. :mrgreen:
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

That is a very nice range. I enjoyed shooting there at the Feb get together.

Outstanding work with those loads. I look forward to hearing how they do in Co.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Guys, I just returned from my first week of work on the new job up in Ukiah, CA. Found a place to live too when I move in August. All things are a go for the Billy Dixon Shoot. I'll be using the 485 grain bullets with some of the heavier 540's for experimentation. I'll also be using some 360 grain gas checked Keith bullets in my Bisley 45 Colt. I'll be loading all this stuff up over the next week as well as packing for my move to Ukiah when I return from the shoot. Hope to see some of you there at the Shoot Saturday or Sunday. Mic McPherson will be there Sunday and I will be arriving in the area on Friday. I hope to see El Mac, Dusty and Griff there too. I have extremely limited internet access, so please call me on my cell if you have any questions or just want to talk.

831 537-7362

-Tutt

Little Doc
Levergunner 1.0

Re: B. Dixon Ultra Long Range Event July 26-27th Update 7/18/08

Post by Little Doc »

hey tutt,
where do you roll out your sleeping bag when in hotchkiss??
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Re: B. Dixon Ultra Long Range Event July 26-27th Update 7/18/08

Post by CowboyTutt »

Doc, it depends on what you want. Last time I tent camped at the Gunnison Pleasure Park. They have cabins too. It might be booked up as its fishing season, but I would start there. There is also Crawford State Park not far away, but it might book up too. I did a quick search for "camping in Hotchkiss, CO" and many RV parks came up. I'm sure there are hotels available if you do a search for "hotels in Hotchkiss, CO" as well. I'm staying with friends in the area this time.

By the way, David Torkelson indicated to me yesterday that he will have a medallion available for anyone who can hit the Billy Dixon Target the first try. Depending on the number of people, there are also games to be played with the metal targets. He has also been promoting the event locally.

Anyhow, this will have to be my last post on the subject until the event. Please call me for other questions (831 537-7362). Looking forward to seeing some of you there!

-Tutt

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Re: B. Dixon Ultra Long Range Event July 26-27th Last Update

Post by Old Savage »

Andy, is there a Hilton available. I tried tenting with the army and didn't really like it. :)

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Old Savage wrote:Andy, is there a Hilton available. I tried tenting with the army and didn't really like it. :)
Nope, and the Hotchkiss is full. I'm staying at the Best Western in Delta, about 12 miles west. Oughta be fun. Now that Andy's bailed me out of my powder problem... I'll be loading boolits tomorrow! :D
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

The above post should have read the "Hotchkiss Inn is full". Seems everyone was camera shy, I had to get three of the locals to pose for us! :P

Not really, but I thought I tease some of you hunters with some bucks still in velvet. Pretty, huh? Ya'll have to wait on Andy's report for the details. I'm just providing some teasers! Like, shootin' a coyote silhouette @ 421 yards with an 1876 Uberti in .45-75... Watchin' the other guys simply hammer targets @ 1538 yards was just awe inspiring!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Hey guys, just got back home to Hollister yesterday. I'll be here for about 10 days then I move to Ukiah. The event went very well, and I think everyone had a good time. I'm starting my write-up today, and hope to have it done in a few days. I'm awaiting some pictures from other sources. I will probably post it on a separate thread.

A special thanks to Griff and Lil Doc who drove a thousand miles or more to be there! They both added something to the event with their knowledge and good character.

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

CowboyTutt wrote:Hey guys, just got back home to Hollister yesterday. I'll be here for about 10 days then I move to Ukiah. The event went very well, and I think everyone had a good time. I'm starting my write-up today, and hope to have it done in a few days. I'm awaiting some pictures from other sources. I will probably post it on a separate thread.

A special thanks to Griff and Lil Doc who drove a thousand miles or more to be there! They both added something to the event with their knowledge and good character.
Looking forward to your post CT!!!
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

The report of what happened at the 1st Annual Leverguns Billy Dixon Event is posted here:

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... f=1&t=8936