Marlin 62 .30 Carbine

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Chaps
Levergunner

Marlin 62 .30 Carbine

Post by Chaps »

I just inherited a Marlin 62 in .30 Carbine - excellent shape. I haven't fired it yet. Anyone else here have one? What do you think? Comments or suggestions?

Mahalo
Chaps
---
2nd Battalion, 3rd Marines
Fortes Fortuna Juvat
Hobie

Re: Marlin 62 .30 Carbine

Post by Hobie »

My suggestion is to shoot and treasure it. The .30 Carbine can be a very useful cartridge. H110/W296 is good for reloading SP bullets to useful velocities for varmint work.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

Yep, great for varmints, whether the two-legged or smaller four-legged variety. Not so great for deer sized game or larger.

I'm thoroughly unfamiliar with the Marlin Model 62, but I echo Hobie's recommendation to shoot it and treasure it as a memento of someone you cared about.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
lever-4-life
Levergunner 2.0

Post by lever-4-life »

The .30 carbine is a great round! It is fairly cheap to reload and is a hoot to shoot. I have a M-1 so I don't have any info on your particular model but have looking for the right one for a while now. My dad used his M-1 carbine for deer and it always made meat, I wouldnt recomend it unless you are a good marksman and ranges are kept short. I have only killed a doe with mine, she was hit by a truck and had two broken legs I shot her at about 50 yards with a remington 110 grn sp and it did the trick.
Break on through to the other side!!!
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

The 62 Marlin in 30 Carbine is the only hammerless levergun I have ever lusted after, I love the round, and I love leverguns so perfect combination. I wish I had the M-1 Carbine my dad carried throughout the Pacific Theatre in WWII, after the war he traded it away and regretted it ever since. He had the armorer install a Lyman peep site on it before going overseas.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I have the Model 62 in both the 256 WIN MAG and the 30 Carbine :wink:

I've had then for over a year now and to be honest I've only shot the 30 Carbine a couple times !

And have yet to make cases for the 256 !

I do however have a pair of US M1 Carbines that I "have" shot a fair amount in the past .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Had a chance to buy one at a gunshow a few years ago. I wish I did . It had a real short throw to the lever .Very cool.
Chaps
Levergunner

Post by Chaps »

Thanks gents, appreciate the consensus. I'm returning to Iraq after taking emergency leave to attend my Dad's funeral. He left me his collection, and no one knew he had the 62 salted away. So I'm killing time waiting for my flights finding out all I can about it and the rest of the collection.

S/F,
Chaps
---
2nd Battalion, 3rd Marines
Fortes Fortuna Juvat
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

Deepest sympathies and condolences on the loss of your Dad. I lost my Dad recently too so I know what you must feel, hang in there. And keep your head low and stay safe and kick butt when necessary when you get over seas. Oh yes, and don't be a stranger, we'll have a spot next to the fire waiting for when you get back. :wink:
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Chaps,

My condolences on the death of your father. Hang in there, the emotions will calm down in time.

Somebody else:

Please post a pic of a Marlin 62, I've no idea what it looks like.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Premo
Levergunner

Post by Premo »

J. Miller,

See gunbroker link following or links to a couple of Model 62's for sale in 256 Win Mag. http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.a ... =105524431 http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.a ... =105139094

FP
bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

I have read of them, never seen one, always wanted one in .256. Had owned a ruger hawkeye in .256 and had a martini made up in one. I still have a t/c in one. Its a great cartridge! Ear ringer. Too bad that one ad says the mag is missing. Probley next to impossable to get one?
TNBigBore
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TNBigBore »

I used to own one of the 62s in 30 Carbine. The lever throw is ridiculously short. You barely work the lever at all. They are super cool guns, but have tiny little levers that do not accomodate large fingers well at all. That was my only complaint and reason for selling mine.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Premo wrote:J. Miller,

See gunbroker link following or links to a couple of Model 62's for sale in 256 Win Mag. http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.a ... =105524431 http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.a ... =105139094

FP
Premo,

Thanks for the link. I've never seen one of those before.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Premo
Levergunner

Post by Premo »

Joe,

Hope that that helped. There are two links, kindo confusing, but click on both, look for a small space divider between them. The first appears to be in better shape, but the second has a scope. Gives you a different chance to look at it both ways.

FP
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

bogus bill wrote: Too bad that one ad says the mag is missing. Probley next to impossable to get one?
Numrich has them. $20

http://www.e-gunparts.com/product.asp?c ... SKU=379870
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
otteray
Levergunner 2.0

Post by otteray »

I offer my sympathy for the loss of your father.

The Model 62 30 Carbine trigger plate is not metal and can crack if care is not taken during disassembly/ assembly.
I cannot find a replacement for this part, but superglue seems to work, so far!

Thank you very much for your bravery and service, sir!
otteray
Winjester
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Winjester »

I too wish condolences for you and your family on the death of your father. I lost my Dad in February of this year, and it's a tough thing to handle. Thankfully, you will put your dad's memory in the part of your heart that was taken up by sorrow at first. God bless you!
Winjester
Chaps wrote:I just inherited a Marlin 62 in .30 Carbine - excellent shape. I haven't fired it yet. Anyone else here have one? What do you think? Comments
Chaps,
The Marlin model 62 is the sweetest shooting .30 carbine rifle around. I have used the M1 carbine professionally, and for that reason I was introduced to that nice little round. I had heard of a Marlin lever in .30 carbine, and I finally found one! Here are some pics of my model 62, along with its companions, a Ruger Blackhawk in .30 carbine, and the Inland M1 Carbine.
Winjester
God Bless America!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Condolences Chaps - and thank you for your service to our country...