OT- Interesting test

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

OT- Interesting test

Post by Andrew »

I saw this link over on another site. It looks neat and at the very least gives me an idea for realistic targets.

Long distance sniping: .22LR
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
Ysabel Kid

Re: OT- Interesting test

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I remember when LEO's first started using "bullet-proof" vests back in the early-mid 80's. A local LEO moonlighted in his off-duty time as security for the theater I worked at on Friday nights - just to keep the kids in line. He told me his vest would stop anything "but a high-powered rifle... and a .22 LR!" :shock:

Not sure what the case is now, but if you think about it, especially at close ranges, the lowly .22LR is flying at pretty high speeds compared to most handgun rounds.
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

I bought my first bullet resistant vest (a Second Chance) in 1977 when I joined the state police and the weave of the Kevlar of some of the cheaper vests would allow a Round nose .22 LR through the fabric. The later and better models do stop .22.
That was a great read, thanks for the link. I now have two forums the military has forgotten to block that I can work with.
It is not the critic who counts
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Excellent test and thanks for posting this. I liked that site too.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Darned interesting.

I've popped woodchucks out past 200 yds with my martini. I've always been amazed at the effectiveness of that little round.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Really interesting article, I sent it to my son and my grandsoninlaw out in Arizona.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

He wasn't even shooting the warmer stuff like the CCI Mini-Mags. The box I have states 40g at almost 200fps faster than his ammo. That might have helped with his elevation issues too.
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

This was also posted on rimfire central and caused quite a stir!!

I found it very interesting. Thanks for posting here Andrew. :wink:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
505stevec
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 505stevec »

great article, I will definitely keep buying bricks of .22 LR! When all else fails go back to the basics!
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are
willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." - John F. Kennedy
Scrateshooter
Levergunner

Post by Scrateshooter »

Thanks Grampa (JerryB), I read that thread here a while back and was amazed how this was done with standard velocity/match ammo going about 1050 fps. We do work out here on jackrabbits with .22s at about 120 meters using Winchester Xpert ammunition, it comes out of the tube at 1220fps. It is just as devastating to bunnies as Remington Jellow Jackets. Now we just need to work up some sub-100 grain hardcast loads for the Marlin 30-30 and try them on jackrabbits.
"Blessed is he that readeth, and they that hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written therein: for the time is at hand." Revelation 1:3
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

The .22 has suprising sectional density. As long as it doesn't tumble it ice-picks really well.

That's the difference between a .223/5.56 & a .22RF. You will likely get more penetration from the RF than the CF because of the tumble.

That said, when killing with an ice pick you better be really accurate or have a Fatal Attraction position...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Thank's boy, glad to see you here.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I used to shoot up to 200 yards with high velocity .22LR's, but in addition to the drop (which should be easy to correct for if consistent) the 'tumble' when they transitioned to subsonic may have led to the BAD accuracy - 1" groups at 100 yards became 5" groups at 150 yards!

So, perhaps using subsonic NORMAL velocity .22LR would be better, huh?

I have a nice .22LR and it is well-scoped, so I think I'll try it when I get a chance.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "