New Marlin 1895XLR... broken!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
ophidia
Levergunner

New Marlin 1895XLR... broken!

Post by ophidia »

Last night I picked up my new 1895XLR. I took it apart, cleaned the gunk out, oiled it, etc. I noticed that the spring fell off of the ejector quite easily, but didn't think much of it as it wasn't too big of a pain to put it back in place.

Today I took it out to the range and put 26 rounds through it. It was a lot of fun to shoot and performed flawlessly. After taking it apart for cleaning, when I went to reassemble the gun I could not keep the spring in place long enough to get the ejector in. I looked, and the little "tab" of metal that is supposed to hold the spring on is nowhere to be found. Grrrrr....

Has anyone had to deal with Marlin's customer service for an issue with a small part like this? What are the odds they'll try to make me send in the gun rather than just sending the part? If that's the case I'll save money by just buying it from Brownells as opposed to shipping it in and not having it for who knows how many weeks.

:/

Chris
gary rice
Levergunner 2.0

Re: New Marlin 1895XLR... broken!

Post by gary rice »

if it's just the ejector i dont think i would waste the time sending it back to marlin. brownells, midway and others carry those in stock. although, they shouldnt be breaking like that.
ophidia wrote:Last night I picked up my new 1895XLR. I took it apart, cleaned the gunk out, oiled it, etc. I noticed that the spring fell off of the ejector quite easily, but didn't think much of it as it wasn't too big of a pain to put it back in place.

Today I took it out to the range and put 26 rounds through it. It was a lot of fun to shoot and performed flawlessly. After taking it apart for cleaning, when I went to reassemble the gun I could not keep the spring in place long enough to get the ejector in. I looked, and the little "tab" of metal that is supposed to hold the spring on is nowhere to be found. Grrrrr....

Has anyone had to deal with Marlin's customer service for an issue with a small part like this? What are the odds they'll try to make me send in the gun rather than just sending the part? If that's the case I'll save money by just buying it from Brownells as opposed to shipping it in and not having it for who knows how many weeks.

:/

Chris
g rice
ophidia
Levergunner

Post by ophidia »

That's what I was thinking. My thought was if they weren't willing to send me the part (which other companies have done for me in the past... namely Ruger) I'll just have to order it.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Had something very similar happen to a 357 rifle. Call them and tell them which part you need. They will send it out immediately at no charge to you. Have all the info ready - as soon as they know what it is and your address they will tell you it is on the way. I have had a couple of these small problems and they are great about it. :D
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Mich Hunter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mich Hunter »

If not, it would be a good time to replace it with a WWG bear proof.
dsmith512
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dsmith512 »

Call them up. I bought an 1895 guide gun and the stock had a micro crack on the tang. I gave Marlin a call and they sent me a new stock no charge.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

ophidia wrote:I noticed that the spring fell off of the ejector quite easily, but didn't think much of it as it wasn't too big of a pain to put it back in place.
Is the XLR one a plunger and spring in the bolt or something? My Marlins all have a one-piece "V" shaped contraption that just rides loose in a groove in the receiver, held from sliding by a pin-like protrusion.

...or do you mean the little leaf-spring actually separated from the other half of the "V" :o - that's weird, but if that's all it is, I'd stick it in an envelope and send it back to Marlin (for their quality control, if you don't mind the postage) along with an explanatory note. I'm sure they'd replace it quickly at no charge. If you don't want to mail it you could just call. They sent me a new (and better made) magazine tube hanger for a gun I bought new but it was bent, with just a phone call.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
ophidia
Levergunner

Post by ophidia »

It's the V piece-- the part of the ejector that held the spring on just broke. I'll give them a call... hopefully they'll get it right out to me :).

Thanks all!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Call and ask. No need to complain until they say "no" and I doubt they will.

That said, I don't take my guns apart to clean them unless they NEED cleaning in the action. Fixing what ain't broke is against my nature. OK, so call me lazy but I don't have such problems (usually). :lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
ophidia
Levergunner

Post by ophidia »

Yeah, I'm not a fan of taking them apart unless they need to be, either. You have to take the lever off and the bolt out in order to have breech access to push patches through, and the ejector assembly has to be pulled out otherwise it'll just fall out anyway. The only other gun I have that I regularly pull apart is my Ruger Super Redhawk because it's easier to clean the cylinder, but I've never had any problems with that one.

I'm sure this is just a part that slipped through quality control. The rest of the gun is excellent.
ophidia
Levergunner

Post by ophidia »

I called last Monday and the part arrived Friday. No charge, no hassle, just asked for my address and phone number and said they'd ship it right out.

:D
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Yup! That's what they do. Ruger did the same today for a rear sight assembly for my SBH. RCBS does the same. I also understand the Dillion is very good.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

I have dealt with Dillon, they are a jewel when it comes to this stuff,
can't fix it fast enough!