POLITICS - Texans seem to have a good governor

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

POLITICS - Texans seem to have a good governor

Post by AJMD429 »

I heard the governor of Texas on Neal Boortz the other day, and aside from the annoying speech habit of saying "...the fact of the matter is..." every 60 seconds, he seemed to grasp the whole concept of a Federalist Republic, and not hesitate to mention that Texas could at a moment's notice either a) secede or b) legally divide into five states. I wish all our governors understood that the USA is a federation, not a set of subservient units under one ruling government.

Evidently several states are "defying" the feds on things ranging from collecting income tax on state employees, to environmental and health care and school regulations.

Too bad none of this gets in the news media; it might give us all some sense of hope.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
TomF
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Texans seem to have a good governor

Post by TomF »

Don't care much for him. TransTexas Corridor, Toll Roads, Mandatory vaccination shots for girls, etc. I won't vote him again. Succession and division are in our annexation agreement.

TomF
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I guess maybe you have good LAWS, and merely a governor who at least recognizes some of them.

Odd that he'd capitulate on the 'corridor' when that seems to be a federal-forcing-states thing.

And although I am a 'health care worker' I adamantly oppose the government at ANY level mandating ANY medical treatment, especially a controversial, relatively new, vaccine. The patient, or the parents if the patient is a minor, are the ONLY ones who can 'decide' - the physician should be an advisor, and the government should stay out of the discussion. That's not to say I don't recommend the vaccine for some patients in some circumstances, but then again I recommend AGAINST smoking, but get really steamed when a business owner gets told he or she CANNOT allow patrons or employees to smoke there.

If you own a restaurant, you ought to be able to REQUIRE your customers to smoke if you want to; it is your property and they enter voluntarily. You should also have the right to serve only certain ages, certain races, certain religions, and so on. (And yes, me and the ACLU have the right to stand on public property nearby with signs saying you're really a nasty person if you do that.)

Of course the thorny one is then does the restaurant owner have the right to demand you NOT carry a gun there? Even as a gun owner, I say YES, although I wouldn't go there, or would insist they sign a waiver granting me the life of one of their family members if one of mine is killed on the premesis.

Public property such as parks, government-run hospitals, etc. I say should NOT have that right to prohibit arms.

-----------

Anyway, glad for the clarification on the governor. Maybe I won't pack up and move south just yet...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

OK Doc, ya got my vote. I'm writing your name on the November ballot.

Well, I'd like to...

Grizz
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Our Texas Governor should also be certain his microphone is off before cursing at reporters. Great laws, mediocre Governor.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I think he is right about asking the EPA to back off on the ethanol requirement. Feed prices are killing livestock producers and hammering the consumer.
I s'pose I would feel differently if I had 1,000 acres in Iowa corn, but I don't. I just have an F150 to feed.
txpete
Departed Friend

Re: POLITICS - Texans seem to have a good governor

Post by txpete »

ol rick might not be the best gov we have had but alot better than a few demorats I can remember.
god bless texas.
pete
DAV life member.
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

Rick is a pretty good governor..not outstanding but pretty good. The big hot button issue of the Mexico-Canada corridor has finally been put to be bed with very little negative consequences. Existing South Texas highways will be brought up to Interstate standards. These highways connect to the existing Interstate highways. When all of the fuss is over, it proved out to be nothing more than a highway improvement project to accommodate the existing traffic.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

IMO, Mr. Perry has been a good governor. I have not agreed with every single one the items on his agenda, but he's been getting the job done in smart fashion.

I'd probably vote for him again, but I do have a concern about even a good man holding a political office for too long.

Goes to their head, ya know?

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

TomF wrote:Don't care much for him. TransTexas Corridor, Toll Roads, Mandatory vaccination shots for girls, etc. I won't vote him again. Succession and division are in our annexation agreement.

TomF
Missed the mandatory vaccination deal. Is this for the human papaloma virus? But I agree, the government needs to take a step back on this one. Things like TB, measels etc. I can see, but I think they're getting invasive here.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Peter M. Eick
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Peter M. Eick »

Rick wanted to make me get a vaccine for my daughter so she might not get cervical cancer. No way am I going to get that shot given the known and unknown side effects.

Rick has been so so as governor. I wont vote for him again if I can help it.

I don't like the way he tried to condemn private land for the trans-texas corridor.
I don't like the way he has not gone and worked at closing up the border
I don't like the way he put in the toll roads around the state.
I don't like the way he put the state parks in a financial bind and then split them out.
That is just off the top of my head.

Bottom line is he is way too much of a politician for my liking.
38-55 & 38/44 What a combination!
donw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by donw »

i am 'leery' of any and all politicians...they should NEVER be trusted...in the end, they all end up corrupted to some extent or another. that's why i believe no publicly elected official, anywhere, federal or state, county, city, municipal etc, should be in office for no more than ONE, six year term per life-time.
if you think you're influencial, try telling someone else's dog what to do---will rogers
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I had to scratch my head on his support of the mandatory vaccination. Just seemed so inconsistent with his other views on federalism, states rights and individual liberties...
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Apparently, a number of women in Mr. Perry's family or in close association have died from cervical cancer. I think he just over-reacted to a "cure" for a type of cancer that has had an impact in his personal life.

His previous association with the manufacturers of the product made his support appear to be based on something other than his personal enthusiasm.

I can sympathise with the personal tragedy behind the enthusiam, but I don't consider it sufficient justification to force every female under age 12 to be forced to accept painful and expensive vaccinations of questionable effectiveness and dubious safety.

:|
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Texican
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Texican »

He's an Eagle Scout, even wrote a book on it.

He's pro-gun! He's signed the many improvements to our CHL law, the castle doctrine, etc.

A darn sight better than many others.
Texican

Gentlemanly Rogue, Projectilist of Distinction, and Son of Old Republic

Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

Rich is from Haskell Texas where he was raised by some very fine parents who were farmers. Rick went to Texas A&M, got a degree in Agriculture and returned home to farm with his father. In a few years he married the local Doctor's (Joe Thigpen) daughter and went out on his own to farm. He is very bright and was very successful. By and by he got involved in local politics and then he ran for Texas Secretary of Agriculture. From that post he ran for Governor and everybody knows the rest.

I was Pastor of First United Methodist Church in Haskell when Rick was farming with his father, who was also a member. I hunted with Rick on their land a number of times. He was in my estimation a very fine young man and his parents (Ray and Emelia) are salt of the earth people.

I have visited with Rick a few times since he became governor. I have had no reason to change my mind about his character. I have not always agreed with some of his decisions, but I don't have his job either. It is always easy to have the answer when you don't have the problem.
Blackhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Blackhawk »

I don't know anything about the man but what I have heard about Texas law I would welcome that man to my home state.

Arkansas does not have a Castle Doctrine. We do not have Open Carry. We do have more Democrats than Republicans. I'd welcome the Texan in a heartbeat!

I'd even go so far as to give two Clintons for him!

Johnny

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

I don't think the Texans want to trade!
Blackhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Blackhawk »

mescalero1 wrote:I don't think the Texans want to trade!

I don't blame them, I wouldn't either. :wink:

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin