Full buckhorn sights

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
gary rice
Levergunner 2.0

Full buckhorn sights

Post by gary rice »

Im just curious, anybody tried these (im sure you have) how do you like them compared to a peep sight? i have a williams fp on my marlin 94 cb and i like it but it seems a bit bulky when carrying it around. it was an improvement over the semi buckhorn that came with the gun though.
g rice
Mich Hunter
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Full buckhorn sights

Post by Mich Hunter »

I have one on my orig 76 win. To be honest, I don't care for it very much. Its hard for my eyes to pick up on a target quickly. Just my $.02
Duff L Bagg
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Duff L Bagg »

I personally prefer the full buckhorn. Once you become accustomed to them target acquisition is no problem.

Really Baby, I swear that it just followed me home.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

gary rice wrote:Im just curious, anybody tried these (im sure you have) how do you like them compared to a peep sight? i have a williams fp on my marlin 94 cb and i like it but it seems a bit bulky when carrying it around. it was an improvement over the semi buckhorn that came with the gun though.
I would much rather have a peep sight. I've never liked the looks of the full buckhorn sights. They always struck me as being over kill. And the aperture type sight is far superior to the open barrel sights.

I've got the Williams FP and Lyman 66A on two of my lever guns, and have one of those sights for each of my lever guns that are not yet D&T'd for them. As soon as I can get them done, the factory semi buckhorn sights will go away forever.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

I had a full buckhorn on a muzzlestuffer once, it was OK, and did function sort of like a peep sight. I later replaced it with a Dixie Gun Works vintage tang sight, which I like much better.
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

Given the choice I like a reciever sight. But my Rossi came with buckhorns, pretty much full, & once I got over it & gave them a decent chance I found them easy to work with.
I dont find them as precise as an aperture, but theyre minute of deer & quick on target, for me.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I like the full buckhorn. Aesthetically, I think it just "looks right" on a lever! :D
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

J Miller wrote:
I would much rather have a peep sight. I've never liked the looks of the full buckhorn sights. They always struck me as being over kill. And the aperture type sight is far superior to the open barrel sights.

I've got the Williams FP and Lyman 66A on two of my lever guns, and have one of those sights for each of my lever guns that are not yet D&T'd for them. As soon as I can get them done, the factory semi buckhorn sights will go away forever.

Joe

Joe,

Which receiver sight do you like better between the FP and 66A...and why?

Thanks,
Victor
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

mod71alaska wrote:
J Miller wrote:

Joe

Joe,

Which receiver sight do you like better between the FP and 66A...and why?

Thanks,
Victor
Victor,

Although both function pretty much the same, and both are quality sights, I lean towards the Lyman 66A.
It has two features I really like that the Williams does not.

>First it's appearance is more refined than the Williams. That has nothing to do with function, but it just looks less blocky.

>Second the quick adjust button. Once you get the rifle zeroed you can raise or lower the elevation in an instant without touching the adjustment screws.
And if you want you can pull the aperture bar off to clean under it and put it back on, returning it to zero without touching the adj screws.

For instance my Win 94AE .45 Colt has a 66A on it. It's sighted in for 100 yards. Because the 50 yard trajectory is almost 6" above point of aim I can punch the button and lower the sight to hit where I want at that yardage.
There is a little stop screw that stops the aperture bar from going too far down. I set the adjustable plate on the side to indicate the 100 yard zero, then adjust the little stop screw to zero at 50 yards.
Easy as pie to adjust it up or down.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
gary rice
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gary rice »

Ysabel Kid wrote:I like the full buckhorn. Aesthetically, I think it just "looks right" on a lever! :D
Thats what i was thinking too. im going to try one out on my 94 marlin. I have to say that i am very satisfied with the williams wgr sight on my 45-70. i was looking at the "one raqgged hole sight" and thought just looking at it, it might be close to a full buckhorn sight for alot less money.
g rice
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I put a Marbles full buckhorn on my grandson's 94 30-30 and he swears by it, I like it too.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
TomD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TomD »

The idea the buckhorn is slow is based on traversing shots, but I don't see any reason why it should be slow on the basic straight away shot. I don't really see the advantage though and would prefer to cut it down.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Back a long time ago , in a land far far away, :D when my eyes weren't quite so old, I really preferred the full buckhorn to any other iron sight. Target aquistion thru the full buck really is a snap, running or standing, and with enough trigger time the points on the buckhorn can be used as a crude 3dot long range sight. Nowdays a good peep is easier for me to use. The One Ragged Hole sight is a pretty good compremise between keeping with a barrel mounted sight, and having the nice round hole to focus the eyeballs thru.