Trail Boss loading data question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Boreman
Levergunner 3.0

Trail Boss loading data question

Post by Boreman »

Loading data for this powder for the 45LC seems to be somewhat limited. Has any one had any success with this powder with cast bullets in the 245 to 265 gr. range????? These loads will be for a old model Ruger Bisley Vaquero with a 51/2 bbl. that I just purchased. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Model-71's forever !!!!
NRA Patriot Life Member
Endowment level
FOPA #5
GOA,Inc
WVCDL,INC
Ysabel Kid

Re: Trail Boss loading data question

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Just going from the top of my head, the IMR website's loadings for Trail Boss for the .45 Colt seem pretty good. I have mostly loaded the lighter bullets - 200 grainers. Trail Boss has worked well with these bullets for me.
DavidF
Levergunner 1.0

Post by DavidF »

I just finished loading 100 rnds with 6.4 grns under a 230 grain cast. This load is right on target from my cimarron 5 1/2".
http://www.imrpowder.com/data/handgun/t ... eb2005.php Here is the info from IMR.
There is also a decent amount of discussion over at the firingline forums, just do a search for trailboss.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go from us in peace. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!" Samuel Adams
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

Heres a link to the ADI reloading website, ADI developed Trailboss and its the same powder as the IMR/Hodgdon version.
http://www.adi-limited.com/handloaders-guide/pistol.asp

For the 250GR cast they recommend between 4.5 and 5.8GR for MV of 605-730FPS
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
William
Levergunner

Post by William »

I use 5.5 grains to push a 200 grain RNFP lead bullet through my Marlin for CAS. Great accuracy and never any problems. I like how Trail Boss really fills up the large case of the .45 LC. Very accurate at 100 yards shooting steel buffalo targets, but you'd need to up the powder charge to impart more downrange energy. I was shooting 6 grains in my .44 mag shells and decided to go down on the charge as these seemed to powerful at short distance CAS targets. These too would ring 100 yard steel all day, using open sights as well.
Last edited by William on Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Just follow the recipe's on Hogdons site.
The stuff works pretty well, its certainly not the best powder for high velocity, and its not the most accurate, but for the job it was invented for ( preventing double charged cases, and providing enough accuracy to hit a metal plate at 15 paces) it works pretty well.
I've not tested it for accuracy at distance but holding 6 inches at 35 yds one handed isn't all that hard to do.
It also work right well in the 44 spec, 44mag, 41 mag, and 32 H&R, the jury is still out (here anyways) on the 38-40