My Kinda Swap: Knife For .30-30 Trapper

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

My Kinda Swap: Knife For .30-30 Trapper

Post by Pete44ru »

I'm doin' the happy dance, this aftenoon - fer sure ! :P

I took some trading stock with me, to look closer at a 97% late-70's Winchester 94 Trapper .30-30, I spotted late Saturday as a local gunshop was closing for the holiday weekend. It has a Lyman peep & XS front, with the issue sights stored in the Lyman's box. Very pristine, except for a slight freckling the size of a dime in the blue above the loading gate.
No safety, no rebounding hammer, no sling swivels, etc.

I took a Randall knife, an old .22LR/.410 Savage 24, and a .22LR Nylon 66 with me - but I knew the shop owner liked knives. :)

Well - The guns never saw the light of day, but the Randall was a straight-up swap. :roll:
So, I'm doin' the happy dance, and I'll pick the gun up in a few days - as soon as my state paperwork clears.
Last edited by Pete44ru on Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I dunno.... a genuine Randall fer a crummy Winchester 94 trapper? :P :P Yep, I'd be doin' the happy dance also! Congrats! :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

Congrats Pete44ru!
I traded a Busse Badger Attack knife for my Winchester Model 64, I had to kick in $200.00 though.
The way knives appreciate these days, I am not sure who ends up best in the end? But to me there is no comparison.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Yep, Thanks - That particular Randall model's going for over $700 now, but (since I got it NIB in a "deal" seven or eight years ago) I only had a little over a deuce in it.
BlaineCGarverakaTubbyTuba
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BlaineCGarverakaTubbyTuba »

You're happy, so I'm happy :!: ...... :? I think I'd have sold the knife for what it was worth and gotten 3 rifles.....
---------------------
www.levergunluvers.com

MOLAN LABE

DEMOCRATS: PORK OVER PATRIOTISM
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

well if you decide you want a knife again, I'll take that crummy Win off your hands for the plastic handled case knife in my pocket. :wink: ,
but no pressure, think on it for a day or two.
Scott64A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott64A »

*In my best Maine accent:*

"But you can't shoot a knife..."
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Scott, that reminds me of an old Western flick - I think it might have been The Comancheros - where a fella with a knife in a hip sheath faced off against some pistolero, and kilt him daid ! :)
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Pete back in '70 during hand 2 hand training & knife tactics one of the other wannabes made that quip about "don't bring a knife to a gunfighht." To which our instructor sad, "You do this right and there won't BE a gunfight." :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Scott, that reminds me of an old Western flick - I think it might have been The Comancheros - where a fella with a knife in a hip sheath faced off against some pistolero, and kilt him daid ! Smile
Pete44ru, it wasn't the Comancheros, I just watched that last night.
Pete back in '70 during hand 2 hand training & knife tactics one of the other wannabes made that quip about "don't bring a knife to a gunfighht." To which our instructor sad, "You do this right and there won't BE a gunfight." Razz
I'm not trained in hand to hand, or any type of combat, but the one thing I've learned from common sense is; if you want to stay alive and in one piece, do not let a person with a knife get near you.

Joe
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Pete back in '70 during hand 2 hand training & knife tactics one of the other wannabes made that quip about "don't bring a knife to a gunfighht." To which our instructor sad, "You do this right and there won't BE a gunfight." Razz
I'm not trained in hand to hand, or any type of combat, but the one thing I've learned from common sense is; if you want to stay alive and in one piece, do not let a person with a knife get near you.

Joe
IIRC, inside 7 ft, the knife is faster. Statistically speaking.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

Nice trade.
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I don't know much about those knives, but a knife for a rifle sounds like a no brainer to me. Congratulations. :D
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Griff your definitely right about a knife faster than a firearm at seven feet.

In law enforcement we're taught that seven yards and closer a person with a knife or other type weapon will, nine out of 10 times, hit you or stick you before you can clear leather and get a fatal shot off.

Nothing to mess with. And that's with people that hadn't had any formal knife training. A person who knows how to use a knife will slice and dice a person so fast and fatal in mere nano seconds that the shows over before the victim knows he's even been stuck or sliced.
Old Law Dawg
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Congrats Pete! Post some pictures when you can!!! :D
Poohgyrr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Poohgyrr »

Congrats!
John
Family, blue steel & wood, hot biscuits, and fresh coffee.
Luke 22:36 Romans 12:17-21 Ephesians 4:26-32
"Life brings sorrow and joy alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt
kirkwood
Levergunner 2.0

Post by kirkwood »

Pete44ru wrote:Scott, that reminds me of an old Western flick - I think it might have been The Comancheros - where a fella with a knife in a hip sheath faced off against some pistolero, and kilt him daid ! :)
You might be thinking of The Magnificent Seven. Early in the movie that scene takes place.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I think you're both keerect (Joe & kirkwood). That's what's so great about getting older - I meet so many new people & learn new things, that I forgot, every day ! :roll:
Tristan
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tristan »

The movie was "The Magnificent Seven", and the character was played by James Coburn, IIRC.

- Tristan
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

For those of you, who missed the pics on the old site - This is my new Randall Model 25 knife:

SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

Pete44ru wrote:For those of you, who missed the pics on the old site - This is my new Randall Model 25 knife:

If you cut off some barrel and most of the buttstock, you will have a Josh "RANDALL" :D Sorry, I could not resist.
Always Drink Upstream From The Herd
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

For those of you, who missed the pics on the old site - This is my new Randall Model 25 knife:

I'm no expert but....
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/