Was at the Range Today ! "Again"

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Was at the Range Today ! "Again"

Post by 6pt-sika »

Left home about 16:00 and it takes maybe 10 minutes to get there !

Wanted to check sights on two rifles and sight in another as well as shooting my 41 MAG Blackhawk for the first time since I bought it almost 2 months ago !

My Blackhawk 41 MAG 6.5" laying on the bench ! I pretty much beat the heck out of the 50 meter chicken with it today shooting the Sierra 220 grain SIlhouette bullet with 15 grains of 2400 and a CCI LP MAG primer !

My Marlin 1894CCL in 41 MAG . I put a old Redfield peep sight on this one for hunting this year ! Shot some of the Sierra 220 grainers in this one also . Then checked the sights with the Hornady 210 grain XTP and 16 grains of 2400 !

Here's a 5 shot group I shot with the 1894CCL at 50 yards ! Should be okay to kill a deer !
Incidently the 1894CCL was purchased from a forum member in Texas and the sight came on a 336SC I purchased from another member in Washington state I believe .

Here's my 1978 vintage "New Model 1895" that was also purchased from a forum member ! Along with an older Weaver K2.5 I recently mounted on the old rifle ! I wanted to check the scope one more time before hunting season with both the Ranch Dog 460-350 and 460-425 using the same scope settings !

Here are the 350's right at point of aim !

And here are the 425's just a bit lower but close enough I can kill deer to 100 yards with no scope setting changes !

Here's my old Remington 700BDL in 30-06 of 1965 vintage with and old Bausch & Lomb Balfor 4x on top ! I had loaded up a bunch of Hornady 165 grain Interbonds with 57 grains of IMR4350 and CCI200 primers . Old rifle shot well enough at 50 , 100 and 200 yards to kill deer !

Last edited by 6pt-sika on Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Was at the Range Today !

Post by Andrew »

Looks like you were busy. Glad to see you got some positive results.
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Andrew wrote:Looks like you were busy. Glad to see you got some positive results.
Either I am leading a decent life or I am in for big trouble soon !

Seems the last 6 or 8 trips to the range have been about 98% positive for me :lol:
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

shooting is fun :)

Nice rifles and pics - thanks for posting!
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Glad it all worked out for you! Thanks for the report.
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Good range report! "That should kill a deer" indeed!!! :D
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Think later this week I may have to take the Blackhawk back out along with my little 327 Federal !

Also need to do something with my new Marlin 1895 that is still NIB ! Might have to scope that one with and old Weaver as well !

Need to check the scope settings on my Stainless Synthetic Model 7 in 7mm RSUM and my stainless synthetic 700BDL in 264 WIN MAG ! Oh yeah and my buddies Model 600 thats in 6mm REM !

As it stands I have more ready to go in the rack right now then I will more then likely use this year to kill deer ! But then one never knows do they :wink:
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

I love range reports!
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Very nice work, a friend has a pre 64 Model 70 270 with that same type of scope set up.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

TNBigBore
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TNBigBore »

6pt, I have the same vintage Weaver K2.5 that I was about to mount on my first year Marlin 1895. How do you like it on yours? They seem to have great eye relief and thicker crosshairs than the later Weavers. Unlike some of the later Weavers with fine crosshairs, I think I could actually see these crosshairs in the woods at dusk.

Thanks,
TBB

Those are some great looking guns.
66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 66GTO »

Good shooting! But the retired firearms instructor in me shouted when I saw your pictures, "Point that revolver muzzle down range!" :shock: I know, I know, it ain't going off by itself, but those are my rules when running the range.
Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death! P Henry

When the Government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the Government, there is tyranny.T Jefferson
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

6PT: I have a new 6 1/2-inch Blackhawk in .41 just like yours. Hope to shoot it this week. All I have loaded right now is some Trail Boss plinkers and some H4227 full powers using the CPBC 250-grain WFN.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

YA KNOW...
YOU ARE HAVE ENTIRELY TOOOOOOOO MUCH FUN! :D
NICE SHOOT'N TOO!
I LIKE THAT 41 RUGER...
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I couldn't get that much shooting in between 4 & dark, AND I can shoot righ out back! :mrgreen:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

:mrgreen: Nice! What range? :mrgreen:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

TNBigBore wrote:6pt, I have the same vintage Weaver K2.5 that I was about to mount on my first year Marlin 1895. How do you like it on yours? They seem to have great eye relief and thicker crosshairs than the later Weavers. Unlike some of the later Weavers with fine crosshairs, I think I could actually see these crosshairs in the woods at dusk.

Thanks,
TBB
I've accumulated about a dozen of the old K2.5 and K3 scopes now . The one on that 1895 has a post and crosshaur reticle !
I had never used a post until I started fooling with these old Weavers ! But it seems to do okay !
Out of the ones I have I'd say they are half and half crosshair versus post ! And I do like the ones with crosshairs a bit more . But they all seem to do an okay job for what I want !

I am more partial however to the K2.5's and K3's that are marked 60B :wink:
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

66GTO wrote:Good shooting! But the retired firearms instructor in me shouted when I saw your pictures, "Point that revolver muzzle down range!" :shock: I know, I know, it ain't going off by itself, but those are my rules when running the range.
I was the range officer that day :wink:

But then I was the only one there , which is usually how it is when I'm there 8)
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Griff wrote:I couldn't get that much shooting in between 4 & dark, AND I can shoot righ out back! :mrgreen:
That was a light day with three rifles and a revolver !

Normally I take six or seven rifles and a revolver or two !

I think it took me about 2 hours to do what I needed with these four ! Bear in mind the 45-70 was already sighted in and I was just lets say checking things !

The 1894CCL was not anywhere near ready however ! I knocked the rear sight out then put the reciever sight on there at the range in the 2 hours I was there ! Matter of fact I changed the sights before I ever fired a shot !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Bill in Oregon wrote:6PT: I have a new 6 1/2-inch Blackhawk in .41 just like yours. Hope to shoot it this week. All I have loaded right now is some Trail Boss plinkers and some H4227 full powers using the CPBC 250-grain WFN.
I was fortunate a year or so ago and got about 3 pounds of 2400 for about $10 ! Never really had wanted to use it as I like H110 alot . But I figured what the heck and tried it in these two yesterday !

I have a Lyman 210 grain SWC GC mould but I never have gotten any of the Gator checks ! Since my Hornday 416 checks don't seem to work to well and no one else makes anyhting for a 41 any longer !

Maybe sometime after hunting season I will get some Gator Checks and start fooling with cast in the 1894CCL and the Blackhawk :wink:

And maybe on a long shot I can talk Ranch Dog into making a bullet for the 41 MAG 8)
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I just came from my loading room and got some more stuff together for tommorrow if I get a chance !

Started by loading more for the 1894CCL 41 MAG ! Seems when I looked at the loads for the 210 grain bullet and 2400 in my old Hornady manual I never saw max which is a little over 20 grains . So I loaded five of the XTP's with each of the following in 2400 16, 17 , 18 , 19 and 20 . Also loaded up a bunch of 210 grain Noslers with 18 grains of 2400 for trying in the Blackhawk !

Then I turned my attention to my old 700BDL 06 and loaded up some more Hornady 165 Interbonds with 57 grains of IMR4350 ! Want to shoot some more at 100 , 150 and 200 yards .

Next I worked on some more ammo for the 7mm SAUM my load for this is the Hornady 139 SST and 60 grains of IMR4350 !

Then I loaded up some more of my preferred load for the 700BDL Stainless Synthetic 264 WIN MAG . This was the Hornady 129 grain SST with 58 grains of IMR4350 .

Also loaded some 6mm Rem with 43 grains of IMR4350 and the Nosler 95 BT and the Hornady 95 SST . These are for a buddies Remington 600 !

And last but not least I put a piece of box of 327 Federal factory ammo in my range box to check that thing out at 20 yards for deer season ! Plan on having the 41 Blackhawk ready with the Nosler 210 grainers for deer at 25-40 yards !

So if it doesn't rain and all goes well perhaps I can get some more pre season work taken care of !

Get all the rifle stuff done and next week I'll start hanging stands !
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

nice range report
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Went back again today about 12:30 !

Here's my preferred bench with my 41 Blackhawk and SP101 327 laying on top ! Have targets set at 25 and 50 meters ! Shot the 41 first at 25 meters then the 327 ! Have them both okay for needs !

Have all the rifles laid out on the table behind my bench !

My friends Remington 600 in 6mm Remington ! Tried some Hornady 95 grain SST's and some Nosler 95 grain BT's ! Got some breat 2 shot groups , but the little whippy barrel on this thing heats up quick and sends the thrid shot about 2 inches away ! But in a couple more sessions I'll get something worked out for it !

The Marlin 1894CCL 41 MAG again ! Tried it with the Hornady 210 grain XTP loaded with 2400 ! Tried 15 , 16 , 17 , 18 and 19 grain charges ! Shot three shot groups with all mentioned loads ! 15 was good , 16 was fine , 17 was a little better and 18 shot the best . 19 grains opened up some and 20 opened up a bit more yet .

So I'm gonna load up some more with 18 grains and try it one more time just for the heck of it ! Then maybe load up about a dozen and hopefully kill a deer with it later .

Here's the Redfield peep on the 1894CCL in a not so great picture !

My Remington Stainless Synthetic Model 7 7mm SAUM with a Leupold Vari XIII 4.5-14AO on top !

Shot it eight times today !

These were the first 3 shots ! The Hornady 139 grain SST loaded with 60 grains of IMR4350 and a Federal 215 primer ! Right after that I shot it twice at the 200 meter ram and got a nice little group on his shoulder !

A little later I shot this two shot group with the 7mm SAUM . This time with the Hornady 154 grain SST with 58 grains of IMR4350 and the Federal 215 primer . And right after I bothered the 200 meter ram again ! And low and behold the 154 hit right beside the two 139's from earlier !

Here's my Remington 700BDL Stainless Synthetic in 264 WIN MAG with a Silver Leupold Vari XII 4-12AO on top ! Shot this one 5 times total !

Shot these three first at 100 meters .And then fired two more at the 200 meter ram and worried his shoulder a bit more ! This load is the Hornady 129 grain SST with 58 grains of IMR4350 and Federal 215 primer !

Finally I shot the old Remington 700BDL 30-06 of 1965 vintage with the Bausch & Lomb Balfor 4x on top ! After a tiny bit more fine tuning I am happy with this one for the upcoming season ! I was again using the Hornady 165 grain Interbond and 57 grains of IMR4350 along with the CCI200 primer !

Well I need to do a little more work with my friends Remington 600 ! Need to load some more for the 1894CCL and need to set up my Marlin 336SC 219 Zipper . Also maybe put an old Weaver on top of my 336D cast bullet rifle ! Better bring a couple of the rifled 12 gauges , 20 gauges and ML's out just for the heck of it !