Hummm!!! .32 Win. Spl. ??

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Hummm!!! .32 Win. Spl. ??

Post by cshold »

How can this be a .32 Win. Spl.
I didn't think the .32 spl. was intrduced until 1902 or 03. :?:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =107050155
Hobie

Re: Hummm!!! .32 Win. Spl. ??

Post by Hobie »

I believe that there is sometimes a wide discrepancy between mfg date of the receiver (determined by serial number) and the firearm's production date. We've discussed some rather notable examples but I think that was on the old forum as I can't find those discussions here. That the .32 Special was not introduced until after 1898 makes it obvious that while the gun might be serialed to 1898 (by Madis? by the polishing room records?) it wasn't produced and shipped in 1898.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

So I will show my ignorance here Hobie.
Wouldn’t the barrel have been stamped as being nickel steel?
irl104
Levergunner

Post by irl104 »

In the next to the last picture #16. It is stamped Nickel Steel Barrel Especially for Smokeless Powder.
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

I love that rear sight with the wings. Was that factory? I don't think I've ever seen on like that.

Scott
Last Spike
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Last Spike »

I think it more likely that it was rebarreled to 32 WS some time later. The 32 WS was not introduced until 1902 as that is when it first appeared in the Winchester catalog. A serial number search with the Cody Firearms Museum would determine if this was done by Winchester or if it was done by a third party.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Last Spike wrote:I think it more likely that it was rebarreled to 32 WS some time later. The 32 WS was not introduced until 1902 as that is when it first appeared in the Winchester catalog. A serial number search with the Cody Firearms Museum would determine if this was done by Winchester or if it was done by a third party.
Exactly the thought that went through my mind.
Now my question is, did the model 94 action get beefed up as well.
Or was it just a switch to the nickle steel barrel back in the day
for the new kids on the block? (30wcf, 25-35, 32spl.)
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

RSY wrote:I love that rear sight with the wings. Was that factory? I don't think I've ever seen on like that.

Scott
I think only the .32 spl's had that sight.
I think they were called the smokless sight's.
Hope I'm correct on that, If not some one
throw the BS flag. :)
JDL
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JDL »

Yep, that sight only appeared on the .32S and was for cartridges reloaded with black powder. It provided for extra evelation since the b/p rounds were much slower.
JDL
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

The Cody letters vary from Madis' dates by about two and a half years for 1894s in this time frame, so I'd bet that rifle was made no earlier than 1900. I have a 141xxx was purchased as an antique that letters as 1901. Still too early, though.

I don't see any proof marks either. The barrel is marked like a Winchester barrel but he doesn't show pics of the barrel address. If it were rebarreled later with a Winchester barrel, wouldn't it have a proof mark on the barrel?

It is an interesting rifle and could be a very early 32. It is an easy question to answer though - Cody search.

On another note...I like the rifle a lot. It's in very nice shooter/collector condition, which is perfect for me. I wonder what the reserve is.
Chad
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

From Cody:
Rifle, 32 WS, Octagon, plain trigger, date in warehouse: 9-11-02, date shipped: 9-12-02.

In this case the Madis numbers are four years off. This rifle must have been mfg just prior to the start of Winchester proof marks, I guess.

I still like this rifle, especially with the smokeless sight on it.
Chad
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

Not much to add here...but for my own education I ask:

Won't all 94 receivers accept any cartridge in the lineup... are the carriers the same?

I understand you would have to ream a barrel chamber to use a bigger brass and re-bore... and you could only start small and ream bigger.

That .32 is nice... probably falls in some seam in production. Never say never about old Winchesters.

Jeff
always press the "red" button--- it's worth the effort and the results can be fun
Last Spike
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Last Spike »

71fan, good info. Always a good idea to confirm age of the gun with the official Winchester records - were this gun available in Canada, I'd be tempted to bid for it.
OD*
Member Emeritus

Post by OD* »

Hobie wrote:I believe that there is sometimes a wide discrepancy between mfg date of the receiver (determined by serial number) and the firearm's production date. We've discussed some rather notable examples but I think that was on the old forum as I can't find those discussions here. That the .32 Special was not introduced until after 1898 makes it obvious that while the gun might be serialed to 1898 (by Madis? by the polishing room records?) it wasn't produced and shipped in 1898.
You got it, Hobie, the first 32 Special was serial number 27158 built on March 4, 1902. The serial dates to 1895, Winchester never threw out parts they could use. :wink:
Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
End the cycle of hatred, don't give them a tomorrow.