Winchester Model Fifty-five Lever-action Rifle question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Last Spike
Levergunner 2.0

Winchester Model Fifty-five Lever-action Rifle question

Post by Last Spike »

I have a chance to snag a low serial number model 55 in 30-30, take down model, 24 inch barrel, 1/2 mag, worn blue, bright action, good bore, good wood, straight grip shotgun style butt with checkered steel butt-plate. A check of the serial number suggests it was made in 1925.

What price range would be considered fair for this gun?

Thanks for your advice!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Winchester Model Fifty-five Lever-action Rifle question

Post by gamekeeper »

All I know about this Model is that it was introduced in 1924 and discontinued in 1932.

I have no idea what a fair price should be.

BTT.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Pretty high, as IIRC less than 10% of Winchester 94 type levers were special models, like your half-mag M-55.

The first 2865 (or so) were serially numbered separately, then numbered along with all the other M-94's thereafter.

In that 40% condition (worn blue, bright action), I would value it somewhere in the mid-to-high teens - as a pristine specimen would bring about $3K. YMMV.

model55
Levergunner 3.0

Post by model55 »

I've seen them in gun shows in California for 900.00 to a 1000.00 in the last two or so years.Felt like I stoled mine 400.00 +.Every once in a while they show up at places like Cabela's.I have never seen one that was mint.
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

I bought my 55 a few years ago, with about 50 to 60% receiver blue (which is hard to find in this era of Winchester), great barrel blue and perfect bore, bruised but original condition wood. I paid $1,400. I actually wanted the Lyman 21 sight that was on it and paid a bit more than someone else would have.

I still follow the prices on the auction sites and see rough ones starting around $800, with average condition, like you decribed, in the $950 to $1200 range. Now, if you ever see a 25-35 in that price range, grab it. They seen to go for about double what the 30s do for the same condition.

Most of the 55s you'll see have little to no blue on the reciever. I have seen one or two at live auction that looked near mint except half or more of the receiver blue was flaked off. They looked like they never went afield.

I love my 55 and carry it deer hunting for our local San Diego deer. They are very light (6 lbs) and well balanced. I've always thought they were undervalued, which is why I'm always looking for more. Here's mine, number 2193, and also me hunting with it last season:
Chad
Last Spike
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Last Spike »

Thanks, fellows! I'll be giving the rifle a personal inspection Friday and will make the final decision to buy or pass then. :)
model55
Levergunner 3.0

Post by model55 »

Get it you won't be sorry.Thanks for the pictures 71fan, nice rifle.
Last Spike
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Last Spike »

I had a chance to inspect the rifle:
Barrel - bore is good, a bit dirty, with sharp but dark rifling. A May be 40-45% blueing left on barrel
Elsewhere - hardly any blueing left.
Wood is good
Lever action - stiff - likely needs a good, thorough cleaning

I'm going to put in a bid for it and see what happens.
Last Spike
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Last Spike »

Update: the model 55 went for $1600.00 CDN - sounds like there was a bit of auction frenzy involved. I wasn't close on this one and felt the final price paid was overkill.

At the same auction I narrowly missed a very good condition Winchester 1894 in 38-55 with 26 inch octagon barrel, full magazine very good wood, 75-80% blueing left, DOM 1903 - with CFM factory letter. Missed by $100.

There'll be more opportunities in the future. :)