Marlin 336SC in 219 Zipper at the Range !

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Marlin 336SC in 219 Zipper at the Range !

Post by 6pt-sika »

I got this Marlin 336SC in 219 Zipper about 3 years ago I think . I probably kept it a year before I ever fired it . When I did start shooting it I was loading Spire Point 60 grain Hornady bullets . And it seemed to do well enough with them for groundhogs out to 200 yards , although I never tried to kill one with it . My main intrest in this rifle was to get it to shoot the Nosler 60 grain Partition well enough to knock over some poor unsuspecting deer . And after working with the Hornady 60 grainer I tried some of the Nosler Partitions and the Sierra 65 grain bullet . The Nosler's shot well enough for my needs . But the Sierr'a just won't stabalize in this rifle . And that is no big deal as I just wanted to give them a shot .

Earlier this week I got going with my Savage 10ML smokeless powder muzzle loader and have now mounted a Leupold VX1 4-12 on top . So that leaves the old Leupold Vari XIII 3.5-10AO that I have on top my Knight 50 cal Disc available . So tonight I pulled the scope off the Disc Rifle and mounted it on the 219 Zipper !

A not so great picture of the caliber designation on the barrel of my rifle !

I got the rifle bore sighted and ready for sighting in . Now I need to go down and load about two dozen rounds . That should give me a dozen for sight in and a dozen to go in the woods .

My load for this rifle will be the Nosler 60 grain Partiton , 26 grains of BL-C2 and a CCI200 primer . So I will pretty much turn a six shot lever action into a two shooter ! But then how many shots should I need to kill one whitetail :wink:
Last edited by 6pt-sika on Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
PaperPatch
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Marlin 336SC in 219 Zipper

Post by PaperPatch »

Thats a nice looking Marlin, and in a unique cartridge! Robust looking scope mount too.

Looking forward to both and range and field report...as it occurs to me, that your rifle there, would make a fine, lever-powered prairie dog popper.

Good luck with it!!! :)
chadbr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by chadbr »

Sounds like fun -- let us know how it turns out.

Chad
w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Post by w30wcf »

6pt-sika,
NEAT! :D As I recall, the 219's had a heavier than standard barrel(?).

Now, how about some cast bullets at 3,000+ f.p.s.! :mrgreen:

w30wcf
aka John Kort
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka w44wcf (black powder)
NRA Life member
.22 WCF, .30 WCF, .44 WCF Cartridge Historian
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

w30wcf wrote:6pt-sika,
NEAT! :D As I recall, the 219's had a heavier than standard barrel(?).

Now, how about some cast bullets at 3,000+ f.p.s.! :mrgreen:

w30wcf
The barrel on this thing is a good bit heavier then that of a normal 336SC ! Possibly a little heavier then what is now called a "magnum weight" bolt action barrel !

No need for cast in this one !

I already have about a dozen rifles set up with variouse cast bullets for the upcoming deer season !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

It's raining here today , so i can't go to the range !

They're calling for more rain tommorrow and saturday . Have family coming sunday .

But monday I'm supposed to take a guy from Marlinowners to the range with me ! So at least I "should" be able to get this bad boy sighted in ! Also hope to sight my Savage 10ML muzzle loader in with the Leupold 4-12 I put on it the other day .

Should have some 327 Federal handloads with the Hornady 85 grain XTP to try monday as well !

So lets see . I'll take the 219 Zipper to sight in . The Savage 10ML to sight in . Wanna shoot my Savage 210F slug gun a couple more times . Also wanna shoot the little Ruger SP101 327 Federal with my handloads to see how they work at about 10-15 yards .

Might possibly take the Marlin 308MX just to make sure it's still sighted in :wink:
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Marlin 336SC in 219 Zipper at the Range !

Post by 6pt-sika »

After I had lunch today I decided to head to the range since I had all my stuff in the truck !

When I got there our main rifle/silhouette range had a bunch of people . So I went to our secondary/blackpowder range . This one is set up beside our pistol range and has benches at 100 and 25 yards . I took a picture of the range but it was screwed up somewhere in the transition from cam to PC to photobucket :!:

I started with the 219 Zipper !

Sighted this thing in dead on at 100 yards it is my intention not to shoot a deer over 75 yards with this rifle anyway ! Since i can only put two rounds in the rifle at a time I shot 2 shot groups . And they were hanging in the 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 inch range .

After that I wanted to try the Savage 210F 12 gauge slug gun again !
Shot a Winchester polymer tipped slug followed by a Hornady SST slug . They were both dead on at 100 yards and a tiny bit to the left . I might add the 2 slugs were within a half inch of each other as well :wink:

Last pisture I took that made it all the way to photobucket in good shape !
Shows my Savage 12 gauge slugger and my Savage 10ML muzzle loader !
Also you can see the Ruger SP-101 327 Federal and the Ruger Single Six in 32 MAG .

Shot the 327 and 32 at 15 yards off hand !

I had loaded some Hornady 85 grain XTP's with 7 grains of SR4756 in the 32 MAG and they shot nicely . And the Hornady 90 grain Swaged with 4.5 grains of Unique were doing well in the 32 MAG .