OT: Our Wilderness Camping Trip (Lots of photos)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

OT: Our Wilderness Camping Trip (Lots of photos)

Post by KirkD »

A few weeks ago, we packed up and headed into the northern wilderness for our annual week away from civilization. This year, 5 out of the 6 kids could make it and the two oldest brought their wives, who also enjoy the wilderness. The one who had to work wished he could go, but that's the way it is sometimes. We told him we would think of him as we were hauling in the fish. I have one 17.5 foot Kevlar canoe that we've used for the past 18 years and we scrounged up a few more from friends. Here's most of us getting ready to leave, with two of the canoes strapped to my '97 Suburban with 229,000 miles under its belt (if it ain't broke, why replace it?) …

After a four hour drive we reached the launching place, loaded our gear into the canoes and started the upriver trip to an unmarked spot on the river bank where we would portage into the bush to a nameless wilderness lake. Here's a photo from my canoe with my oldest daughter up front. Another of our canoes, helmed by my second oldest son, is in the lead in the background ….

Half way through the portage, it started a steady downpour. We slogged our way up a stream and through standing pools of water and mud with canoes and packs on our backs. One thing we've learned about being in the bush in a pounding rain is that you can only get sopping wet and no wetter. So once you've reached the sopping wet stage, you can just relax and enjoy yourself because there's nothing to keep dry (except for our bedding which was in SealPacs). So we just slogged through whatever and kept going. If a fellow can't head into the wilderness in a pounding rain, then he's getting soft and, by gum, I don't ever want to get soft. The first thing we did when we arrived was to set up our kitchen where we could relax until the rain stopped. Here's a shot of the kitchen taken a couple days later; my fine wife is on the left, sipping a cup of wilderness-brewed coffee (ain't no coffee better) ….

Out in the bush, the position of the sun in the sky is more important than what time a fellow's watch happens to say. There's no schedule, no TV, no nothing but family, and the big, beautiful wilderness, which can kill you if you don't respect it, but can heal and rejuvenate you if you understand it. Nothing bonds a family together like the wilderness. It's one of the best things my wife and I ever did for us as a family. Here's three of the women visiting after a meal. One of my daughters-in-law is on the left and the other two are my daughters …..

Now I know some will be thinking 'folding lawn-chairs …. now that's getting soft!'. Well, okay, I ain't gonna argue. All I know is that it is dadgummed nice to sit in a comfy chair once in a while when you're in the bush. We like to have a campfire every evening come sundown. The best trees are the ones that are still standing, with little or no bark on them, but still a lot of fine twigs. You know those aren't punky. Here's a shot of the Old Geezer himself giving the tree a feel before laying the axe to it ….

The sixgun I'm packing is a S&W 2nd Model American made in 1873 and chambered for the popular (back then) 44 Russian. This particular sixgun spent the first part of its life in the very arid American southwest, as evidenced by its pristine bore and chambers. I've wondered what the very first owner would have said if he could have taken a peek into the future and seen his new sixgun still doing service 135 years later in the Northern wilderness. There are both Black Bear and Cougar where we were. We saw a very large Cougar just about 200 yards from our camp the last time we came in here. Most bears and Cougars will leave you alone, but note that I said 'most'. If a fellow is unarmed in the wilderness and he meets a bear or cougar, it is the bear's or cougar's decision whether you get harmed, killed, or eaten. I don't like leaving decisions like that up to animals. Being armed takes the decision out of their hands (or should I say 'out of their claws and jaws') and makes it my decision. My wilderness rifle is 'Old Savage', a Winchester 94, 30-30 carbine made in 1954, the very year I was born. A fellow can't always have a rifle in his hands when portaging, fishing or cutting wood, so I pack this antique sixgun when both hands are needed for other things. That way, I'm better equipped to provide security for my family. Out here, there is no 911 and we are all fine with that.

A crackling fire as night falls on a remote wilderness lake is mesmerizing. We'd sit around talking and feeling that life couldn't get better, and then the almost full moon would rise above the lake and a Loon would cry out on the water and we'd know that life just did get better. Here's a shot taken by the campfire …

I'd often stand down be the water after sunset just soaking up the beauty of the White Pines silhouetted against the darkening sky and the waxing moon rising in the East, with its light reflecting on the still lake. A fellow just plain feels close to God in times like that and I soak it in. Here's a shot of the Old Geezer down by the water, communing with his Maker ….

The first night we got a deluge. It started raining about 11:00 pm and pounded all night. Around 2:30 in the morning I took a peak out my door at my daughters' tent and at each my two oldest sons' tents where they and their wives were and wondered if they were dry. I was. There's nothing so wonderful and relaxing as being snug and dry in a tent with the sound of rain on the roof. This night, however, the sound of rain was a roar. The rain stopped as morning drew near and it turned out everyone was dry. I'm a big believer in tarping a tent. I've been in enough violent storms where tent-flys leaked that I figured I've done my time in wet tents. Here's a photo of my tent, battened down with tarps and anchored with rocks (you can't drive a tent peg into solid granite) …

…. and here's my two daughters relaxing and reading in their tent ….

The next day we started hauling in the fish. We let them all go again since there was nothing we could do with them. We only kept two that day that one of my sons and his wife had caught. Here's a photo of their two bass. My son caught the Smallmouth Bass and his wife landed the Largemouth Bass ….

We caught a lot of fish, all bass. We soon lost track of the numbers, releasing everything back into the water except for a few that we ate on different days when we felt like it. Here's my oldest son cleaning a Largemouth Bass for supper ….

Wild Blueberries grow all over the Northern wilderness. I bet if all the wild Blueberries in the North were piled up, it would be enough to bury New York city. Blueberry pancakes are a wilderness tradition with us so one morning some of us picked Blueberries while my oldest son rustled up some pancake batter and then we ate Blueberry pancakes with genuine Maple Syrup until we were stuffed silly. I figure wild Blueberries are one of God's many gifts to mankind, and I've thanked Him for them many times. Here's a photo of us porking out on Blueberry pancakes. The Old Geezer is the one in the hat. Note the dishes of wild Blueberries beside the griddle ….

Another thing we do a lot of is swimming. Our 'beach' is made of solid granite and drops straight off into 10 feet of water. Here's a shot of a group dive, with the Old Geezer 2nd from the right ….

…. and here's a close-up of the granite 'beach' with water that is so clean, we drink straight out of the lake with never a problem ….

Finally, it was time to pack up and leave. I did a final inspection of where we'd been to ensure that it was clean as a whistle and that we'd left nothing behind (except a small stack of split firewood that we didn't use). Here's a shot of us loading the canoes. My second oldest son's canoe has already left ….

We portaged through the bush once again and reached the river, where we reloaded our canoes. The photo below shows us in the final stages of reloading before setting out on our paddle down river back to civilization. The bush behind the two green canoes is the point where one has to begin the portage into the remote wilderness lake that has no official name, but my girls have named it 'Memory Lake' ….
Last edited by KirkD on Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT: Our Wilderness Camping Trip (Lots of photos)

Post by 20cows »

Bravo!

Time well spent.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Kirk, that is the finest thing you have ever written on this site! And one of the best written outdoor experiences I have read in a very long time. I'm a big fan of tent camping but I haven't had to add tarps as my old favorite Northface tent does not seem to leak no matter the deluge. I have made a bit of a study of tarping over campsites over the years and can tell you know what you are doing. The only place I have been to that has wild Blueberry's is up in AK where I visited my oldest friend. I think I will follow your lead, and take some BB's with me on my next trip. I have access to a Pomegranite Molasses from some Middle Eastern stores in Southern California, and actually prefer it to maple syrup. I think with the BB pancakes, it would be scrumptious.

Its amazing to me how similar the terrain of where you were resembles the Sierra Nevada's here in CA. Looks like home!

Anyhow, thanks for taking the time to write that. I sure enjoyed it!

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
gunslinger598
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gunslinger598 »

Great story & pics. I remember your last years story as well.
AQHA Life Member
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

That is just too cool. I haven't been real camping in years let alone anything that resembled hiking. I probably have gotten soft, as you described. :lol: Good post and pics.
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

FINE ! :D
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Kirk,

You have what I've always dreamed of having, and never will. A great family, a great wilderness to play in. You and yours are one bunch of fortunate people.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Duff L Bagg
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Duff L Bagg »

Kirk thank you for sharing you family camping trip with us. It has been many years since I have been on a camping trip like that. Brings back a lot of good memories of camping with my Dad and Brother.

Really Baby, I swear that it just followed me home.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Kirk, thanks for sharing! Looks like a great family trip, in a beautiful place.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Thanks for posting Kirk. That really brings back a lot of memories.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

That looks like such a wonderful time. As others have said, thanks for sharing it with us.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
klrhunter650
Levergunner

Post by klrhunter650 »

Thats great so much of your family could get together with you. Traditions like that make for strong family bonds.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Kirk, thanks for sharing that trip, you are very lucky to have a family that enjoys the outdoors and being together.
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
1988rrc
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 1988rrc »

Looked like a great family event.
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Sir, you are truly blessed.
Ricky

DWWC
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

Yes it is possible to have a great time with just a tent, , some fishing and good company.
Those 5th wheel and motor-home folks don't know what they are missing.

Sounds like a great time Kirk, and a nice little piece of paradise you have there.
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Thanks Kirk, really enjoyed going along with you and your family. I see a possibility for another calendar... :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Wow, Kirk, wonderful trip and what a great looking family! :!:
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Boy, that brings back memories of our trips to the boundry waters. Looks the same - is this quitico? Could be a lot of places up there though as you have lots of glacial lakes. Very nice job with the pictures and thanks for taking the trouble to download and share these :)

We would mostly catch northern and walleye - man are the fish out of those lakes sweet and delicious - regardless of age/size. I'd really like to get my whole family up for an outing like that again. Right up there with the mountains in my book. Of course, you always want to go late in the summer - the black flies and skeeters are almost non extistant at that point - except during the portages where you always have a few...

If you don't mind me asking... I thought your govt. made it very difficult to tote a handgun around? Is the antiqe status a loophole of sorts?

I would never go into the bw again w/o some form of protection myself. When I was youger, we did - I didn't even own a hangun at that time. Got in that later in life...
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

I'm in tears here,,,, you are blessed and thankyou :D

Nath.

Oh and Hi to your family :D
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Great story, great pictures, and a great family.

Just goes to show the advantage of belonging to a large family. Lots of people to portage the goods. Just how far did you have to portage the canoes and gear?

Thanks for the post. Enjoyed it very much.
ED
Yer never too old
Ron Macy
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Ron Macy »

It looks wonderful. Those years for me are unfortunately past but the memories remain.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Kirk,
Very nice pictures and a well written story. :D You are a very blessed shootist to have a nice family who believes in the right things (nature-togetherness) I bet you sleep well at night as the Lord "wired" you good and proper with no loose ends.
Something about being out in the woods with good people. There is NO other feeling like it.----------------------Thanks! :D ------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Thanks for that wonderful post, Kirk. You are blessed, indeed! :D
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Men, I'm glad you enjoyed this report. This was just so much fun that it would be a pity to keep it to ourselves and not share it with anyone.

Cowboy Tutt, both my tents are North Face tents but they've seen a lot of use over the years and the fabric no longer repels the water. I'm going to see if I can get some spray-on stuff to fix that. The fly of my North Face Hotel 66 (sleeps 6) has completely disintegrated.

O.S.A.K., we were about 1,000 miles from the Quetico, but both the Quetico and where we were are part of a geological formation known as the Canadian Shield, about 3,000 or 4,000 miles long and maybe 500 miles wide until you hit the Arctic tundra. All told, there is at least a million square miles of wilderness like this and I'm not exaggerating. Regarding packing a sixgun up here, there are different options, but one of them is to use an antique. The downside is that they cost an arm and a leg because of their collector's value and you got to reload your own ammo since it is obsolete (now reloading, that's not a downside).

Modoc Ed, this particular lake is only a short portage of a couple hundred yards back in the bush.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Kirk, when you say a couple of options what do you mean?

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Ah, that's what I thought. Down here, antiques are not considered "firearms" under the law and technically, you can carry an antique revolver w/o a carry permit. But the LEO's aren't realy keen on that.

Glad you have a viable option and in a great caliber :D 44 Russian is a good round with a 250 grain bullet at 750 fps from the longer barrels like yours. Will penetrate the skull of a bear and that's what you need.

Boy it sure is beautiful in that area. Good for you for taking your family into God's country.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Nath wrote:Kirk, when you say a couple of options what do you mean?
Nath.
Nath, some fellows get prospector's permits to carry a restricted weapon in the bush (i.e., a normal handgun), but from what I hear, it is tough as all get-out to get one of those. The easier route (albeit expensive to find one of these rare guns that is still in good shooting condition) is to get a legal antique which, like in the USA as O.S.A.K. points out, is not considered a 'firearm'. We need no permit for it, it does not need to be registered, and we can carry and shoot it anywhere we can shoot a normal non-restricted firearm. Still, not all the LEO's are up on that, so I also carry with me a copy of a letter from the government, for my particular S&W and serial number, certifying that it is an antique. Is there something like that in the UK?

O.S.A.K., my particular load fires a Keith 256 grain bullet at 772 fps. For my limited antique options, that's a decent one, as you pointed out.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Kirk, I fantastic report on a very special trip. Lots of memories there and I enjoyed your take on every aspect of the trip. blessings. Thanks for the intimate look into your family vacation.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Kirk my friend, just another thank you from me. I have been looking forward to seeing this report and photos. The old saying about "the family that prays together, stays together" still holds true.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Thanks for the reply Kirk and err no there is no similar allowance in the UK or else I would of been on it years ago :wink:

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Thanks for the rekindling of memories and congratulations on a great family.

"There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way, and not to give others absurd maddening claims upon it." (Christopher Darlington Morley)
It is not the critic who counts
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Great Stuff!!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Truly magnificent! I was thinking about you yesterday Kirk as my son and I loaded up 50 rounds of .44 Russian using a slight modification to your recipe (I did not have any 246-grain bullets on had, so used some 240's I did have around). What a wonderful way to spend quality time with the family! Glad to see your daughter-in-laws enjoy the great outdoors as well!!! :D
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

looks like you and your family had a great time in paradise!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Good times. I learned this year that my kids are getting to old to ride in my canoe , next year they're getting their own.
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

Kirk,

Would you consider adopting me before your next trip? :D

What a family!

Sincerely,
bogie
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
ohwin94_61
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ohwin94_61 »

Its all about me :mrgreen:
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

Very nice. Thank you for sharing the excellent post and great photographs.