Installing Receiver Sight

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Slick13
Levergunner 2.0

Installing Receiver Sight

Post by Slick13 »

I've decided to go ahead and put a receiver sight on my pre-64 Model 94. I believe it is already drilled and tapped (there are two small holes on the left side of the receiver, in the rear upper corner). What model of receiver sight would this be for, or would both a Williams FP (the model I'm looking at getting) or Lyman 66 fit those same holes?

Thanks,

~Michael
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: Installing Receiver Sight

Post by J Miller »

Slick13 wrote:I've decided to go ahead and put a receiver sight on my pre-64 Model 94. I believe it is already drilled and tapped (there are two small holes on the left side of the receiver, in the rear upper corner). What model of receiver sight would this be for, or would both a Williams FP (the model I'm looking at getting) or Lyman 66 fit those same holes?

Thanks,

~Michael
Michael,

Both the Lyman 66A and the Williams FP 94/36 will attach there. I like the Lyman sight better but many others like the Williams. I have them both on my 94s. They both work very well.

The Lyman has one feature I really like, that's the quick adjust feature with the push button on the base. You can move the aperture bar up and down in an instant without touching the knobs.

Williams FP has a feature that is also very good. Once you sight the rifle in, you can lock the adjuster screws down and it's then fool proof. That's what the FP stands for by the way, "FOOL PROOF".

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I also have and enjoy both the Williams and the Lyman. They are both fine sights. I just wish they would make them in good old fashion
STEEL again. I am one who would pay a premium for steel. :D
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Chuck 100 yd wrote:I also have and enjoy both the Williams and the Lyman. They are both fine sights. I just wish they would make them in good old fashion
STEEL again. I am one who would pay a premium for steel. :D
I have both Steel and the newer Aluminum Lyman sights. Function wise I can't tell the difference, but I'd rather pay a bit more for the steel ones too.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Slick13
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Slick13 »

Thanks for the replies, ordered a Fool Proof on sale at Midway and expect to have it by next weekend.

Need some help with the rear sight that's already on there, dovetailed into the barrel. It won't budge. I've tried using a wood dowel and hammer, but I just wind up having the dowel split on the sight. I squirted some oil in there hoping it would help, but it didn't. Any advice on getting that sight out? I was trying to drive it out, right to left. Does direction matter?

Thanks,

~Michael
marlin shooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by marlin shooter »

Michael
As you would sight the rifle to shoot it drive the sight out left to right. A brass drift punch works good or even a spent cartridge, hitting the base of cartridge. I have put a piece of cloth between sight and punch and be careful not to hit barrel. Hope this helps.
Karl
45Jack
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 45Jack »

Slick13 wrote:Thanks for the replies, ordered a Fool Proof on sale at Midway and expect to have it by next weekend.

Need some help with the rear sight that's already on there, dovetailed into the barrel. It won't budge. I've tried using a wood dowel and hammer, but I just wind up having the dowel split on the sight. I squirted some oil in there hoping it would help, but it didn't. Any advice on getting that sight out? I was trying to drive it out, right to left. Does direction matter?

Thanks,

~Michael
Do you have the rifle in a vise?
If the rifle is held tight and you use a brass drift they usually come ont without too much trouble. (in my limited experience.
Slick13
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Slick13 »

45Jack wrote: Do you have the rifle in a vise?
If the rifle is held tight and you use a brass drift they usually come ont without too much trouble. (in my limited experience.
No, don't have a vise. Wood dowel, empty cartridge, rubber mallet, nothing is working. Receiver sight came today, and I'm discouraged that I can't get that bugger to move.

~Michael
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Michael,

The rear barrel sight on my Marlin 1894 Cowboy had so much tension on the springy part that the sight blade attaches to, that it literally prevented me from removing the Marbles rear sight from the barrel.
I ended up having to put a piece of leather and a screw driver under the rear blade to release the tension from the sight. Then using a STEEL hammer, and a HEAVY BRASS drift punch, I put some anger into it and DROVE that sight out of the barrel.

Sometimes you can not be gentle with these things. Remove the forearm if you haven't already done so. This will make sure you don't hit it when your tools slip. Put the gun in a padded vise if you have one, other wise lay it on it's side with the barrel carefully propped up so it can not move.

Then get some bigger tools and carefully speak to that bad boy.
It will come out. Just make sure you have something under the sight blade so it doesn't mar the barrel as it comes out.

Joe
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

As Joe stated, remove the elevator (stepped piece of metal) from the sight.
ED
Yer never too old
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Chuck: I'm with you on the steel. I'd pay for it too.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Remove the elevator and flood the sight's dovetail joint with a penetrating (not a lubricating) oil. Let it work overnight.

The brass hinge pin, removed from an inside house door hinge, makes an excellent drift tool.

Drift the sight out towards the loading port side, using a heavy hammer and solid blows.

In the absence of a vise to hold the gun, get someone else, with strong hands, to hold the gun ( loading-port-down) on a bench/table with the barrel (ahead of the sight dovetail ) supported by a piece of 3/4" board held against the juncture of barrel side and forend top edge.

Smack the sight like it owes you money. ;)

Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Pete44ru wrote:Remove the elevator and flood the sight's dovetail joint with a penetrating (not a lubricating) oil. Let it work overnight.

The brass hinge pin, removed from an inside house door hinge, makes an excellent drift tool.

Drift the sight out towards the loading port side, using a heavy hammer and solid blows.

In the absence of a vise to hold the gun, get someone else, with strong hands, to hold the gun ( loading-port-down) on a bench/table with the barrel (ahead of the sight dovetail ) supported by a piece of 3/4" board held against the juncture of barrel side and forend top edge.

Smack the sight like it owes you money. ;)

That's good advise. Just be darn careful which interior door you get the hinge-pin from. I've got a not too pretty sight of a family member sitting on the pot for all to see because there is no door on the bathroom. :lol:
ED
Yer never too old
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

DONT FORCE IT !! Get a BIGGER hammer. :D
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I sure like the Williams FP's alot. I'm working up the nerve to put one on my Puma Casull, since the tang sight is either hitting me in the forehead (skull too thick to notice) or just flipping forward when the gun recoils, and then gets hit by (almost caught and mangled by) the bolt coming back when you work the action.

I'm sure some tinkering could fix it, but I just like the DURABILITY factor with the receiver-style sights.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Slick13
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Slick13 »

Chuck 100 yd wrote:DONT FORCE IT !! Get a BIGGER hammer. :D
Went to my buddy's auto shop, a big piece of brass and a big hammer, and whack, out it came. I don't think the thing has been moved since 1957! Williams sight is on, and I'm very pleased with it.

~Michael
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Do you have the slot-blank to put in place of the sight? If not you can get one from MidwayUSA.
ED
Yer never too old