OT Hurricane supplies

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cjm135
Levergunner 1.0

OT Hurricane supplies

Post by cjm135 »

With the latest in hurricane development Gustov, now Hanna I took a quick inventory of my supplies. Just in MRE's and can foods I believe I have enough to last 6 days for 5 people. With the other dry foods and the refrigerator I think we can make it 10 days. The only item that I'm a little low on is batteries.

24 MRE’s
8 2 servings Dehydrated Mountain House meal packs
1 40 oz can Castleman Beef Stew
7 Cans of assorted fruit
10 Cans of assorted vegetables
2 12.5 oz cans chunky chicken
4 6 oz can chunky Salmon
9 18oz cans of soup
4 10 oz condensed soup
9 6 oz Tuna

80 Gallons of drinking water Hot water tank
24 Bottled water 20 oz
1.5 Regular 87 octane - Gallons
1 40:1, 2 cycle gasoline - Gallons
1 20 pound propane tank
Batteries

340 7.62x54R 172gr. Yellow tip Hungarian
165 .38spl.
163 .30-30
20 12 gauge #8 2 3/4"
98 .44 mag.

Other foods
potatoes
cereal
rice
noodles
tomato sauce
canned tomatoes
macaroni & cheese
box dinner
cookies
crackers
jelly
peanut butter
raisins
candy

Refrigirator
milk
juice
vegies
lunch meat (ham)
cheese
eggs
yogurt

Freezer
chicken
steak
meat balls
hambuger
hotdogs
vegies
fish
bread
hot dog buns
dinner rolls
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT Hurricane supplies

Post by mescalero1 »

you will be ok
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I need to stock up on MRE's - as in get any. Been puting this off far too long.

I keep 10 gallons of gas at home for the generator. Refresh it at least once a month (pour it into the car then refill the 5-gallon jug). Learned the hard way - we lost power for 5 days after an ice storm here about 5 years ago. Darn incovenient, but the loss in frozen meats was freakin' expensive!!! :evil:
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

If I'm planing on being at home I see no need to pay the extra money for MRE's. Standard canned food is just fine for me. I buy all the store brands or shop at the grocery stores where I'm delivering. I always keep a couple of cans of soup in the ruck I carry to work with me every day. I usually eat it cold on the run anyway. I have a pitcher pump on an extra well that's by the house so if the power goes out I'll still have running water if I run and get it.

I need to see what Hannah is going to do.

One word of advice though, if you live in an area that might be affected by a hurricane. Write the Lat/Lon numbers and pay attention to them. They will tell you a lot more than the weather guessers on TV can think to tell you. That way you can watch for very small deviations that might be the start of something big.

And always have plenty of CASH... no power means no ATM. A couple of years ago there were people lined up around the block to buy gas at a station in the area where I was taking a load of supplies. They had no way to take credit cards of any kind because their satellite dish got creamed and they had no communications even though they could pump gas.
Last edited by Rusty on Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Rusty wrote: One word of advice though, if you lice in an area that might be affected by a hurricane. Write the Lat/Lon numbers and pay attention to them. They will tell you a lot more than the weather guessers on TV can think to tell you. That way you can watch for very small deviations that might be the start of something big.
Heck Rusty, I know the bugs are bad down there but geez... :wink:
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

OK, usually don't give this stuff away.
If you guys are serious, invest in one of those little pumps that hook to the end of your drill, keep a battery powered drill around with charged batteries, those little pumps will self prime and lift a long ways............. use your imagination.
Bruce
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bruce »

If I read right, you are planning on using the hot water tank for drinking water. I know you can drain it as needed, but I would not rely on it - it may not be there and the quality may not be good. I would (and do) have more bottled water on hand. The note about cash is very good. When I lived in central and south Florida, I needed the cash many times in order to make a purchase after one of the big blows. It looks like you have the food to carry you through, but I see no note of any medical supplies. Things such as precriptions need attention also. Another overlooked item is the ladies personal needs. They will need certain items. Fill all of your bath tubs with water to use for flushing toilets. If you don't have all of your important papers in a secure safe, here is a little trick. Put them in the automatic dish washer and lock the door. It is water proof and will usually be around after a hit. Just don't forget they are in there. A can or two of Fix A Flat is a good idea. Don't forget about pet needs if that applies.

Until I retired last year, I have worked in some manner in all of the storms that hit Florida since 1982. The things that continually stick in my mind as items immediately needed (right now if you will) by those impacted are:

Water
Food (MRE"S are great for the short run)
Bug Spray
Sun Screen
Diapers and such for children
Women's hygiene needs
Shelter, shade or tarps

When we deployed into an impact area, our patrol trucks and boats were always loaded with the above items and it did'nt take long to run out of supplies. One last item is also handy - a chain saw that works.
http://www.pumprifle.org/
Bruce Hamlin's Pump Rifle Forum
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Another couple boxes of 12 ga.
Maybe a box of slugs and 00 Buck. :D

When the North East had that big black out in '03 I was
REALLY annoyed with myself for not having any AA batteries
for my little AM/FM/ World Band radio.
I lived out in the sticks at the time and I didn't have a generator (mistake #1) and
had no idea what was going on out there. Couldn't get any info.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
cjm135
Levergunner 1.0

Post by cjm135 »

Bruce wrote:If I read right, you are planning on using the hot water tank for drinking water. I know you can drain it as needed, but I would not rely on it - it may not be there and the quality may not be good. If the water tank is gone so will I. All tanks have a shut off valve. When you go on vacation for a week do you worry that the water in the tank is gone bad. As long as the tank is there the water will last a few days. I would (and do) have more bottled water on hand. The note about cash is very good. Understood but not mentioned. When I lived in central and south Florida, I needed the cash many times in order to make a purchase after one of the big blows. It looks like you have the food to carry you through, but I see no note of any medical supplies. Have supplies for that also. Things such as precriptions need attention also. Another overlooked item is the ladies personal needs. They will need certain items.She made sure of that. Fill all of your bath tubs with water to use for flushing toilets. I have a 35,000 gallon pool to dip from. If you don't have all of your important papers in a secure safe, here is a little trick. Put them in the automatic dish washer and lock the door. It is water proof and will usually be around after a hit. Good idea, haven't thought of that one. Thanks. Just don't forget they are in there. A can or two of Fix A Flat is a good idea. Don't forget about pet needs if that applies.Done.

Until I retired last year, I have worked in some manner in all of the storms that hit Florida since 1982. The things that continually stick in my mind as items immediately needed (right now if you will) by those impacted are:

Water
Bug Spray
Sun Screen
Women's hygiene needs
Shelter, shade or tarps

When we deployed into an impact area, our patrol trucks and boats were always loaded with the above items and it did'nt take long to run out of supplies. One last item is also handy - a chain saw that works.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

propane for the grill?
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

rjohns94 wrote:propane for the grill?
Excellent point - always have a full spare tank.
Jimbo
Levergunner

Post by Jimbo »

One question, OK 2- how ya gonna get to all that stuff when your house is under 6 feet of water? Better yet, how long will it take to pack it up and move it to a dry place? Do you have at least 2-3 days worth of stuff where you can grab it and go if you have to evacuate?
cjm135
Levergunner 1.0

Post by cjm135 »

Jimbo wrote:One question, OK 2- how ya gonna get to all that stuff when your house is under 6 feet of water? That would mean that the water level achieved 36 feet and 20 miles inland. Better yet, how long will it take to pack it up and move it to a dry place? Do you have at least 2-3 days worth of stuff where you can grab it and go if you have to evacuate? Yes I do
I listed the propane. I also have wood that will be dry even after the storm.
Duff L Bagg
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Duff L Bagg »

Bruce wrote:If I read right, you are planning on using the hot water tank for drinking water. I know you can drain it as needed, but I would not rely on it - it may not be there and the quality may not be good. I would (and do) have more bottled water on hand. The note about cash is very good. When I lived in central and south Florida, I needed the cash many times in order to make a purchase after one of the big blows. It looks like you have the food to carry you through, but I see no note of any medical supplies. Things such as precriptions need attention also. Another overlooked item is the ladies personal needs. They will need certain items. Fill all of your bath tubs with water to use for flushing toilets. If you don't have all of your important papers in a secure safe, here is a little trick. Put them in the automatic dish washer and lock the door. It is water proof and will usually be around after a hit. Just don't forget they are in there. A can or two of Fix A Flat is a good idea. Don't forget about pet needs if that applies.

Water
Bug Spray
Sun Screen
Women's hygiene needs
Shelter, shade or tarps

Ya gotta love them Fish and Game boys they are almost as well prepared as a boyscout on his first car date. :lol: :lol:

Its good to see you around Bruce!

Really Baby, I swear that it just followed me home.
Bruce
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bruce »

Hey Duff,

I'm still around. I just lurk more than I write.
http://www.pumprifle.org/
Bruce Hamlin's Pump Rifle Forum
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bigbore442001 »

I got my supplies just in case. We here in southern New England haven't been hit with a good hurricane in many years. People have sort of forgotten about how to handle such a situation. We're getting some heavy rain right now and it is expected to get heavier with more wind. For us, it will be more of a wind and rain event rather than a severe storm .

Still, you never know if the power will go out or some other issue may arise.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[We here in southern New England haven't been hit with a good hurricane in many years. ]

Yeah - I'm thinkin: two six-packs and some Spaghetti-O's. ;)

bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bigbore442001 »

Yeah. I am thinking back to when Hurricane Gloria hit New England. My close friend worked at a supermarket and saw a woman with her shopping cart filled to the top with frozen TV dinners. She told him she was getting ready for the hurricane.

He quietly asked," What will you do if the power goes out?"

She looked somewhat dumbfounded.

Yes. This is a true story.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Jimbo wrote:One question, OK 2- how ya gonna get to all that stuff when your house is under 6 feet of water? That would mean that the water level achieved 36 feet and 20 miles inland. Better yet, how long will it take to pack it up and move it to a dry place? Do you have at least 2-3 days worth of stuff where you can grab it and go if you have to evacuate? Yes I do
Around here, some people on rather flat and seemingly HIGH ground got four feet of water in their house so fast that they had time to put clothes on and grab an armload of stuff in between a wet crawlspace, and knee-deep water, and people a mile away on lower ground did fine. The wonders of a flash flood!

We try to keep duffels for each family member with a couple changes of old clothes, rope, a tarp, Leatherman (or generic), screw-top 5 gallon bucket (fits in half the duffel) for waterproof storage of some matches, candles, batteries, etc. 2-way walkie-talkies. A bit of food. Personal items that individual needs (spare glasses, essential medication, etc.) We TRY to go through the kits a couple times a year and rotate perishables (and we keep any batteries in zip-lock baggies instead of in devices).

The hardest part is expensive stuff we might need other than in an emergency - like the walkie-talkies. We are trying to move to small 'sub-packs' we could keep at the bedside or coat rack with our flashlight, a walkie-talkie (so the kids can head off on a hike and just grab one and go with it), etc., that they can grab and shove in their big duffel if there is ever a bug-out event.

Same for guns - everyone in the family knows how to shoot, but we aren't blessed enough with excess firearms that each person can just keep a .45 and 100 rounds in their emergency kit, although we have thought about putting a brick of .22LR in each duffel, and reminding folks to grab whichever .22 they come across. We actually DO have enough .22's that there is one for each family member, but knowing kids, they'd argue for an hour while the tornado/flood/fire was raging about who got to take which one!
Last edited by AJMD429 on Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Another thing you can do is to save bottles for storing water in for yourself instead buying bottled water. Don't try to save milk jugs though. Instead, use 2 liter pop bottles. They are made from a better grade of plastic and they will wash out better. We keep a dozen or so empty for emergencies.
Another tip, for candles we buy the tall glass ones that some people light for religious reasons. They burn over 24 hours and are safe.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.