paper patched .444?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rimrock
Levergunner 2.0

paper patched .444?

Post by rimrock »

Since the feds are phasing out lead wheel weights, and surely other sources of lead, I'm beginning to plan my options for reloading my .444. I currently use 300 grain LFN or WFN cast bullets with .432 diameter in my .444 at about 1950fps. I know there are few jacketed bullets available at .430+ that are designed for the .444, so I've started looking at options. One possibility I see comes from Hornady. They make 2-3 bullets in .416 diameter which possibly could be paper patched up to .430. What is your opinion on this option?
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Re: paper patched .444?

Post by Sixgun »

I think its easier stockpiling enough lead to last you your lifetime for target shooting, plinking, etc.. I have. Its still easily available The rules concerning lead while hunting have not affected us here in Pa. YET, but until they do, I'm not going to worry 'bout it.

As to your question, sure you can PP jacketed bullets. I have not personally done it but Ross Seyfreid had a in depth article about it a few years back in Handloader Magazine and he PP both cast and jacketed.--------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Cliff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Cliff »

You can paper patch jacketed bullets, but in a lever action you should place the paper below the case mouth so it will not tear or get messed up if you work it through the action. Paul Matthews also has a good book on paper patching bullets available through Wolfe Publishing I believe. Another thought is to use freezer tape instead of paper. This looks like masking tape but is a lot tougher and once the adhesive takes hold it will be almost impossible to remove. Works great on lead and jacketed bullets. Kinda of tricky at first as you don't lap it over but place the ends tight against each other. One further thought would be to get a bump-up die which will allow you to resize the jacketed bullet to the desired diameter, can work with jacketed as well as lead bullets. I believe Corbin makes such a die, can be used in a vice or press even pounded with a soft hammer to get desired results. You might however find you end up with a loose jacket as the jacket will want to rebound after reforming. If you want to make a bullet smaller you need a swaging or draw down die, but the jackets will hold tighter when done. Doing your own swaging can be handy but expensive as well. If there is a way to do it I am sure it has been tried just a matter of finding out which would work best for you and who has the information. Good Luck and ATB
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

http://www.hawkbullets.com/Pricelist.htm

Hawk makes .430" flat nosed bullets of various weights. ETA - they also make round nose .435"...

You can paper patch jacketed bullets but I'm guessing that the accuracy will be poor. The guilding metal is rather slick and I'm betting the papper will slip and tear on the way down the bore...

Paper patching was the precurser to jaketed bullets - a way to increase accuracy and eliminate lead fouling.
Last edited by O.S.O.K. on Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

FWIW if really want to shoot paper patched bullets Veral Smith makes moulds adapted for paper patching.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Check out this link:

http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/inde ... 877.0.html

And then check out this link:

http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/inde ... 114.0.html

Lots of info over on www.marlinowners.com that you will find useful. They even have a separate section for the .444 Marlin Rifle.
ED
Yer never too old
pdawg.shooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdawg.shooter »

I have patched .308 jacketed up to .318 for a fine old prewar Mauser many times. Lay the bullet on a wood board and roll with a new mill bastard file to "knurl" the surface and the patch will hold. However, .416 to .430 is a big step. I prefer my bullets to be bore diameter +.001 for patching. Two wraps of 16# paper will add just about .010 when dry.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

pdawg.shooter wrote:I have patched .308 jacketed up to .318 for a fine old prewar Mauser many times. Lay the bullet on a wood board and roll with a new mill bastard file to "knurl" the surface and the patch will hold. However, .416 to .430 is a big step. I prefer my bullets to be bore diameter +.001 for patching. Two wraps of 16# paper will add just about .010 when dry.
Ah using a file to rough up the jacket - clever. That'd do it.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

SABOTS will be the future - use the plastic to engage the rifling, and then in that little plastic cup - put ANYTHING YOUR LITTLE HEART DESIRES!

If I get a chance, I will load up some PEA GRAVEL :shock: in .45 cal sabots and shoot it in my .45-70 this winter. I want to see just what the 'worst' yet 'commonest' projectile since prehistoric man can do at 2000 fps...! If you actually use something with a consistent shape (actual 'bullets' or even cut sections of metal dowel, or threaded rod, or bolts!) it would be interesting to see what such improvised ammunition would do. At sufficient velocity, given some rotation, I'd think many 'common household objects' would suffice for self defense.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "